• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 1: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
961613-438071-34.jpg

NB: All refereeing discussion is restricted to the dedicated thread. Bans will be issued to non-conforming members.

Last edited:
Game on.
Here we are after a couple of weeks watching the Lions land, and then find their feet.
The midweek team has righted the ship and the Saturday yeam has settled nicely in the forward pack and we are seeing the backs start to gel,
Gatland has had a pretty ride considering how the last tour in 2005 went.
This Saturday all the spotlights come on and there is nowhere to hide for either team.
Can the Lions forward stifle possession away from the All Blacks and dictate the tempo, allowing the likes of Farrell and Halfpenny to keep terrirtory and the scoreboard in their favour, applying pressure all the while.
Or will the All Blacks lift their forward display to another level, as we know they can, secure enough possession and open up the field and the game to see a fast running game develop.
Both teams have the players to make their game plans come to the fore.

it just seems too obvious a strategy, forward dominance and keep the ball away form the AB's backs

will they through all their eggs in one basket? can they keep that up for 80min or will we see a very tight game for 60 min and then as the Lions tire will an AB's back line that hasn't had to do too much start finding holes?

I wont be surprised to see the Lions in front at half time, something like 12-7...second half is anyones guess

The Lions strength is in their forwards and their kickers.
In tests you play to your strengths.
If they get a points buffer they will ship it wide and have a go.

I actually think the Lions have more strengths than that, we just havent used them

We've been highly unstructured, like mindless ducks at times, and limited our own options in attack due to no one running particularly good lines or dummy lines outside 9 channel, so I'm really hoping Gatland has some good first phase moves that can be unleashed, and brings out a slightly more expansive gameplan to surprise the AB's. Im not sure it'll happen, but i say there's a 30% chance perhaps, and I think he's definitely got something up his sleeve, he's the kind of guy that will definitely keep the cards close to his chest

Game on.
Here we are after a couple of weeks watching the Lions land, and then find their feet.
The midweek team has righted the ship and the Saturday yeam has settled nicely in the forward pack and we are seeing the backs start to gel,
Gatland has had a pretty ride considering how the last tour in 2005 went.
This Saturday all the spotlights come on and there is nowhere to hide for either team.
Can the Lions forward stifle possession away from the All Blacks and dictate the tempo, allowing the likes of Farrell and Halfpenny to keep terrirtory and the scoreboard in their favour, applying pressure all the while.
Or will the All Blacks lift their forward display to another level, as we know they can, secure enough possession and open up the field and the game to see a fast running game develop.
Both teams have the players to make their game plans come to the fore.
For the sake of rugby, I am hoping for a tight contest. I don't care if the Lions win it in the style we have seen on tour to date. Frankly, don't care if our wingers have fists up their arses for 80 minutes if we win. Won't care half the side is Welsh.

Would be nice to see a little enterprise, but we will surely see that from the ABs. It's all about winning, no matter how. Hope the ref stays out of it, and doesn't become Johnny Controlling. Though the Lions would likely prefer a set piece to set piece type affair in which the ref stops and starts every other breakdown.

The only bummer is my daughter has a footy tournament on the weekend, and my chances of seeing this live have diminished to hoping the hotel we are at has decent Wifi to watch on demand (or indeed the TV channel available). No way I am going "tranny!" for this one, as other posters have unwisely admitted.

Last edited:
I actually think the Lions have more strengths than that, we just havent used them

We've been highly unstructured, like mindless ducks at times, and limited our own options in attack due to no one running particularly good lines or dummy lines outside 9 channel, so I'm really hoping Gatland has some good first phase moves that can be unleashed, and brings out a slightly more expansive gameplan to surprise the AB's. Im not sure it'll happen, but i say there's a 30% chance perhaps, and I think he's definitely got something up his sleeve, he's the kind of guy that will definitely keep the cards close to his chest
Don't forget the pre match Haka response? Please - say it aint so! I'll cringe if we blurt out Jerusalem.

The Lions strength is in their forwards and their kickers.
In tests you play to your strengths.
If they get a points buffer they will ship it wide and have a go.
Hmm! What is the adequate point buffer versus the ABs I ask myself. If the Lions get ahead by 10 or even 15, then they will role according to what got them that far. Sphincters set on stun!! :)

Surely, we are in the realm of fantasy, but have to say, I am somewhat happy with our prospects to at least keep the game interesting.

it just seems too obvious a strategy, forward dominance and keep the ball away form the AB's backs

will they through all their eggs in one basket? can they keep that up for 80min or will we see a very tight game for 60 min and then as the Lions tire will an AB's back line that hasn't had to do too much start finding holes?

I wont be surprised to see the Lions in front at half time, something like 12-7...second half is anyones guess
Recall, quite a while ago, the Brumbies winning a Super Rugby ***le, largely on the back of having a side that was very hard to break down defensively. There are plenty of examples of it. No reason we cannot expect a solid defensive wall for 80 minutes. Lets face it, we are going to need it. Lions have show quite a bit of resilience in defence, and have allowed just 5 tries in New Zealand against some pretty well fancied opposition. Opposition that is far more familiar with more open, less structured, 8-9 try matches. No reason not to expect a tight game IMHO.

I'm getting excited now, I don't expect the Lions to win but I would like them to at least give NZ a game.

Lions will keep the scores more respectable than the 4N sides last year, but will never look like scoring more than one try or ever competing for the victory. Something like.

34-13 NZ

I'm getting excited now, I don't expect the Lions to win but I would like them to at least give NZ a game.

I'm excited too.
The Lions have given their supporters much more to cheer about in this tour than in 2005.

I think the Lions can make a real impact in the first test as long as they give 100% commitment right up until the final whistle.
They have a team packed full of talent and physicality.
Absolutely empty the tank and go for it.

I know the other team well, they'll be pretty keen to make an impact as well.
It's a rare and special rugby occasion.
Not one for the faint hearted.

Lions will keep the scores more respectable than the 4N sides last year, but will never look like scoring more than one try or ever competing for the victory. Something like.

34-13 NZ

I reckon it will be closer than that. Maybe much. This is the first test and one the lions will target because the All-Blacks are rustier than they will be by the final test. If the lions' kicking is as good as it has been in the last few games we'll do ok.

All Blacks Team:
1. Moody
2. Taylor
3. Franks
4. Retallick
5. Whitelock
6. Kaino
7. Cane
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Barrett
11. Ioane
12. SBW
13. Crotty
14. Dagg
15. Smith

16. Harris
17. Crockett
18. Faumaina
19. Barrett
20. Savea
21. Perenara
22. Cruden/Sopoaga
23. ALB

A few surprises in there.
I question Crotty over ALB, ALB's been in great form and worked well with SBW. Crotty's been injured.
Ioane over Savea is a good call IMO, he's been in great form and Savea's been lacklustre.
Leaving out Naholo for Dagg seems harsh but it's the game plan they're going for.

Ioane instead of Savea. I think that'll please a lot of AB fans who have been moaning about Savea's lack of form.

Hope Gats follows suit and drops North for Daly. Put Williams on bench to cover 23.

SBW-Crotty midfield combo looks perfectly balanced. Crotty is the midfield organiser of the two, so makes sense.

Latest posts