• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 1: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

it was more the fact the a decent alternative wasnt presented.
imo we didnt change the flag cos we didnt come up with a proper alternative that screamed kiwiana and mana and who wants to get stuck with "all right" flag?
so instead of picking a crappy flag, we decided to stay with the devil we knew....imo
Exactly. I was all for change, but the process they went through and the option we ended up with was very disappointing. It's a shame, but better to keep this one for now in hopes that we can change to a better one down the line, then to be stuck with the mediocre alternative one forever.

it was more the fact the a decent alternative wasnt presented.
imo we didnt change the flag cos we didnt come up with a proper alternative that screamed kiwiana and mana and who wants to get stuck with "all right" flag?
so instead of picking a crappy flag, we decided to stay with the devil we knew....imo
I just reported one of the angles I had heard, nothing more. It made a lot of sense. Thought the new flag was a silver fern on black. What was wrong with it? Never saw any pictures. It was rather a passing news story where I happen to live.

Smith.... Get off. Im sick of you trying to coach the ref and milk penalties in huge matches.
after watching both smith and TJP develop as world class scrum halves, and admiring them both, I can now safely admit that they both get on my wick. I am sure plenty people admire the tactic of milking the lazy runner pen, but I just reckon it's unsportsmanlike. Both very handy players, but have become knobs in my book.

Why do NH teams never learn that they shouldn't just go to sleep when a penalty is awarded!? How many times must they have been told? First thing when a penalty is awarded is GET READY TO DEFEND ffs.
because they are playing at a higher level then they know, sucking the big ones, and fatigued.....

Last edited:
It is worth noting that barring some magic from Liam Williams the Lions would have 3 points, despite the ABs suffering injury and having to rejigg defensively.

It's been encouraging from the Lions at times but there is a gulf in quality in the selected players and in the coaching. Gatland should have used every tour match to experiment with attacking combinations and expansive back play. You can't just trudge along on the tour and try to switch to attacking rugby at the first test.
Well, it's a common criticism of Britsh and Irish rugby in such tours. They play tight for the provincial matches, then attempt to expand in the tests. It's like a new game for them. Needed to be experimenting combos back in those provincial runs to see who was up for opening the game a little past the centres,

Shut up Barnes and your preaching commentary.
Oh dear..... I am sooooooo glad I get the commentators from the south. Nesbo and Marshall have to be my two favourite rugby anchors. Pretty sure Marshall had a lob on when the lions scored in the first half. Always find southern hem commentators fair, and tell it like its happening. Decent knowledge of the game and not overbearing. Stuart Barnes comes across as pretty friggin pompous at times.

Did they ? I saw the ABs in total control for 65 of the 80 minutes probably .....
Lions need to up their game, reduce mistakes, finish their chances, get a couple reffing decisions and then, maybe then, we will have a contest. There is a lions win in there, but it will need some help .... Well, that's the optimist in me, The reality is both sets of players are accustomed to the result. Mentally, both teams are three quarters of the way there. Going to take a supreme lions performance to get a win,

Thought the new flag was a silver fern on black. What was wrong with it? Never saw any pictures. It was rather a passing news story where I happen to live.
It wasn't. If it was, or at least something along those lines, I would've voted for it. But it was a half-blue, half-black, beach-towel looking thing with a Silver fern running through the middle. IMO it was probs still better than the one we have, but definitely not worth changing for... if we're gonna change, we've gotta get it right.

I just reported one of the angles I had heard, nothing more. It made a lot of sense. Thought the new flag was a silver fern on black. What was wrong with it? Never saw any pictures. It was rather a passing news story where I happen to live.
nothing wrong with u giving your angle as you understood it Nubiwan. my rants are just a generalised guess by me based on my opinion and what i gleaned from others.
the alternatives on offer looked pretty naff. whilst the silver fern is important i didnt really see any flags that really captured it properly. i wanted to see one that was stylish . but thats just my opinion.
black is our sports team colour, not all kiwi's thought it should be our flag colour

Caitlyn says it well...
Exactly. I was all for change, but the process they went through and the option we ended up with was very disappointing. It's a shame, but better to keep this one for now in hopes that we can change to a better one down the line, then to be stuck with the mediocre alternative one forever.

nothing wrong with u giving your angle as you understood it Nubiwan. my rants are just a generalised guess by me based on my opinion and what i gleaned from others.
the alternatives on offer looked pretty naff. whilst the silver fern is important i didnt really see any flags that really captured it properly. i wanted to see one that was stylish . but thats just my opinion.
black is our sports team colour, not all kiwi's thought it should be our flag colour

Caitlyn says it well...
Tough to change a national emblem that so many have laid down their lives for. That was my point. In the end, its just a bloody flag. Yes, black not a cheery colour for a a national flag. Great for a top rugby side.

Latest posts