• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

@themole25 LOL I told you. Read those messages. You brought up jumping into the tackle but we weren't even discussing that. We were discussing a possible loophole due to being safe when in the air. Told you. I didn't want to make you look silly but PROOF is PROOF.

Are you going to provide PROOF? or just talk with no posts (proof). LOL too easy.

Not allowed to intentionally jump into a tackle. The poor pass caused his to jump, but you can't blame anyone. It's tough on the tackler sure, but it is what it is atm.
Its intentional to jump to catch the ball. That can be exploited that law as Ive mentioned. The balls passed too high, you don't accidentally jump for it :)

No but you're allowed to.

Look it was very tough on NZ, not disputing that, I'd be really peeved.
Like I said, you could exploit that law. Its not fair play but if you jump to catch, you're safe from being tackled. So if you're about to be tackled and you jump, you could very well get a penalty for your team. Thats all Im saying and thats the truth. You can't be tackled in the air!

Of course, the salt in here is nice to read. Hard to enjoy when there's a test next week which I can only see one result.

ABs are always favourites at home. Not lost for 6 years at home until now. As you said it is a massive achievement to beat them away, especially with a side put together a month ago.

Next week is Eden Park again-they have not lost there for 23 years. Read's 100th cap will fire up the the ABs. But then again every winning run eventually comes to an end.

Well done lads! Ofcourse we're most likely going to get smashed next week but it's not going to be a 'tour from hell'. Love the fact that the Lions have outscored the NZ teams too after all the talk. Think a few AB fans have forgotten what it's like to lose. :confused:

Discipline was horrific. Could have actually been far more comfortable for the Lions if they had just played the territorial game. Some great hands in the build up to the Faletau try.

No complaints about the red. The tackle in the air was harsh, but probably technically a pen.

Can we end the series here?!
How can we forget what it's like to lose? We have lost 2 of our last 6 vs the North. Our record just looks awesome because we play Aussie and Saffas so muc

I cant agree with this at all. If we had shoulder charges the game would be way more entertaining. FACT this game was ruined as a spectcle by the SBW red card. Sure under the rules it was a red card. Until the last 10 this match was boring as **** imo.

Baring similar circumstances next week everyone knows the AB's are going to put a big score on these guys next week. This lions team is very average.
WHAT

You must be out of your mind, there's no way a shoulder charge makes rugby more entertaining. If anything, it'll make the sport unnecessarily dangerous. Just watch league if you want to see shoulder charges.

The game was ruined because SBW had a brain explosion, and he deserved to get a red card. But it penalized the whole team for a big part of the game, which makes his infringement even more despicable.

In my mind there is a distinct difference in having to catch a pass and getting tackled and jumping to catch a pass you didnt need to in order to cynically force a penalty.

Call me biased but I believe the right call was made

And how do you tell the difference?

IMO, this Law is being misapplied to a situation it was never intend for.

When a ball is kicked, the players have to use judgement as to whether to jump for the ball or not, and they have several seconds to make that decision, but when a player jumps to catch a pass, the tackler has less than the best human reaction time to make a decision.

Its unjust IMO. This law need to be changed so that it only applies to players jumping for a kicked ball. Otherwise, the game will become a farce... you watch how quickly elite coaches will catch on to what Kieren Read said to the referee.

Even in the bad weather?

The blow out predictions admittedly had me baffled in those conditions I don't think it was ever on and the Lions have a good defence.

Where to start? First off, credit to the Lions, they scored 2 good tries and put the points on when it mattered, congratulations for keeping the series alive.

All Blacks;

• Definitely a red card, no argument there. Really irresponsible from SBW and I'm pretty ****** off with him right now. Great effort from the guys with 14.
  • I would have subbed Read in the 2nd half, not Sam Cane, with Ardie to #8. Cane had a fantastic game. Read wasn't great, we missed Cane on D.
  • Laumape attacked the gain line well but, ultimately cost us in defence at the end letting Furlong burn him and a crucial knock on. I didn't think this was the time to be playing green horns in the test series, Fekitoa should have been selected and back up, he would have offered much more in this game.
  • Still not happy with our line out, Taylor looks uncomfortable, hopefully, Coles is back for next game.
I felt our overall decision making wasn't great. We kicked for penalties too often from difficult position instead of going for the line out. I was screaming at the TV at the end when Cruden did the cross field kick with 1 minute on the clock too. WTF is that ****? The All Blacks under Hansen have never been a gambling percentage team. In fact, I see this stupid cross kick in our rugby too much now. Keep the ball!

We left 9 points out on the park from the T too. I've always said if you haven't got an extremely good goal kicker, kick for touch from the difficult angles. Actually, the two Barrett missed were from out in front oddly.

I thought our bench didn't do the job this time round either, TJ's distribution isn't flash, I just don't know about him when we're behind, the Hurricanes players never play good catch up rugby, they're a front foot team and some of them carry that into the ABs.

Lions;

• The Lions discipline was terrible and nearly cost them the game.
  • Vuini should have been sent off too if you want to be consistent with the letter of the law, red card! He was terrible, gave away too many penalties and was nothing but detrimental to the Lions efforts and they immediately were better when he was sent off.
  • I really like Conor Murray, he's a very good player and a strong 9, nice try, very similar to Chicago.
  • Warburton and AJW really proved their numerous critics wrong.
The Lions finally kept the ball in the 2nd half and scored some tries. It's funny, roles seemed to reverse this game. The All Blacks usually push on in the 2nd half scoring tries after previously having bad discipline for the majority of the match

So what does Hansen do at centre now? Goodhue comes in.. so we have Laumape starting with 1 cap and ALB and Goodhue on the bench or Barrett? Who ever it is, it's bad selection because Fekitoa with the experience and form is there. Really a bad call and it might come back to bite him. I'm super ****** off right now with his selections in MF.

Last edited:
And how do you tell the difference?

IMO, this Law is being misapplied to a situation it was never intend for.

When a ball is kicked, the players have to use judgement as to whether to jump for the ball or not, and they have several seconds to make that decision, but when a player jumps to catch a pass, the tackler has less than the best human reaction time to make a decision.

Its unjust IMO. This law need to be changed so that it only applies to players jumping for a kicked ball. Otherwise, the game will become a farce... you watch how quickly elite coaches will catch on to what Kieren Read said to the referee.

So then what happens when a player comes in on a player who jumped to catch a high ball and they land on their shoulders/back etc? Will using "they jumped and that caused it" work in defence? An exception already exists where a player lands badly but it was due to momentum rather than any fault by the tackler. Also you can attempt to judge whether a player jumped into the tackle or not, if they land where the player who is going to make the tackle was at the time he started the jump, you could say he jumped into it. If he jumps and lands in front of the where the tackler would have been then he didn't.

However I don't see how NZ can complain about exploiting legal loopholes, you guys have been leading the world in that regard seeing what you can get away with.

Ahhh, when a law goes against New Zealand it has to be changed to save the integrity of the whole game.....

The NZ prop could have just waited until the Lions player had their feet on he ground.... Poor timing from the NZ player

Question: have you ever played rugby?

Ahhh, when a law goes against New Zealand it has to be changed to save the integrity of the whole game.....

The NZ prop could have just waited until the Lions player had their feet on he ground.... Poor timing from the NZ player

Watch it again he was totally committed to tackling its pretty harsh on a prop to expect to have to pull out of tackle in that sort of position hard on D. Have you noticed how big of a man faumiuna is he's not Aaron Smith he might of dodged the tackle!

This law has to be changed otherwise its bound to happen again and I bet under even more dubious circumstances. Stop with the PC bullshit.

Entertaining enough, but lets hope for some better weather in the final test and see what the same backs for the Lions can produce.

Yes for over 20 years...

Question: have you?
So how can you say, when your job is to tackle someone as quickly as possible within the laws of rugby, and you are within the top 1% of players around the world. When you commit to get off that line to tackle someone, and they jump pretty much at random... You have the standpoint of saying "just wait for him to land". You're joking, right?

Latest posts