• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 3: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if I was Gatland my aim would be to pick a starting XV that has the best chance of having us in the game with 20 to go. Normally that's when NZ come on strong, but this isn't normal, it's the deciding rubber of a once in a career series. The ABs aren't robots, if they're still in a fight after an hour they're going to start feeling the pressure and weight of history on their shoulders. If the Lions are still in it at that stage they have the chance to make history with nothing to lose. The mind does funny things to people.....different team now, but the ABs only scraped over the line in 2011 when they were expected to blow away all before them (not all down to a 4th choice fly half).

There's a case for a horses for courses very physical selection and conservative game plan.

I think that's because when you're playing a team as good as the All Blacks it's harder to make highlight reel plays.
faletau is having an awesome tour. he's cleaning out heaps and securing a huge chunck of lions ball. he's made 2-3 errors this entire tour. that is an awesome accuracy rate.
so with his great stats you have to add all the rucks ad mauls he's been hitting.
i'm a big faletau fan now. someone with the offensive running abilities of kRead and the workhorse rate of sWhitelock.

i'm a big faletau fan now. someone with the offensive running abilities of kRead and the workhorse rate of sWhitelock.

I don't think he can match Read's passing and offloading game, but he's still a world class player.

All Blacks fans- looking to gain some thoughts on the midfield battle this week.

Much talk pre-Test 2 about the gain line battle with Farrell possibly on the back foot against SBW in the battle of the 12s. Obviously it didn't get to materialise due to the sending off, and there were positive enough views on the Lions having thosee two distributor and kicking options in the 10-12 axis.

However- can Laumape do what SBW was expected to do and get hard yards and quick ball by smasing into the 12 channel this week?

As a Lions fan, my concern is that we overlook the importance of this issue based on a rose-tinted view of last week. I'd still be contemplating a Teo-Davis midfield and a physical, agile pack (Lawes in for AWJ with Henderson off the bench). The gain line and speed of ball is absolutely central to whether NZ come out at their best (which they will be looking to do) or whether the Lions negate them as well as put together their own phases.

I personally think that if the Lions could match NZ physically, which they did not do in the 1st test, they could drag NZ into an absolute nailbiter of a 3rd test. However if they get dominated physically at the breakdown and gain line, NZ could turn on the taps. Thats how crucial Laumape could be this week depending on game plans and selections.

Any thoughts?

Surely All Blacks will be bit tired with it being 3rd test. I'd pile bench for Lions with impact guys for last 20mins when it's in the balance

It's our guys we should be worried about being tired - end of a long old season with many players involved in various playoff runs. ABs players should be fresh by comparison.

I guess my thread was a little too confronting...

My actual guess for next week is that the ABs will win. They always seem to turn up when they have to... and well next week they have to perform.

I don't think they'll win by much... 10pts?

I wouldn't change too much. I'd have Mako on the bench and then McGrath or Marler, Gats would probably go with McGrath.
While AWJ had a better game I still would start Henderson with Lawes coming on for impact. The lineout wasn't an issue, so I don't think we need Kruis back.
The Lions were better at the breakdown, but there have been questions over how big an impact Kaino going off had. BoD was very critical of Warburton, implying he didn't get involved enough. Faletau also didn't have a great game other than scoring a try. I'd consider O'Brien at 8, Tipuric at 7 and then either PoM at 6 or possibly Haskell for his tackling if he shows the form he started to at the end.
As for the backs...well when they apparently went off game plan they ended up creating 2 tries. I'd stick with them.

For me the biggest issue is the bench. I think Jones is right when he says it's a 23 man game and some players have that finishing ability. The problem is Gatland hasn't used his bench well. I understand that sometimes you may not want to bring everyone on, but he also seems to have players who he won't bring on at all unless there is an injury. Gatland needs to think about how the game will play out and who will win him the game. Personally I would expect the Lions to be losing and so he wants players who can score tries and break the gain line.

I don't think he can match Read's passing and offloading game, but he's still a world class player.
def agree. thats why i said "running". faletau must have an engine the same size as reads

I'd like to see a place on the bench for Tipuric and JJ. JJ has that x- factor that can win games.

Agree with this I think. Tipuric in particular looks made for these NZ test matches with his speed. He absolutely should be in the 23 and you could argue ahead of Warburton. This kid has to make the bench though IMO. He'd be brilliant to bring on second half.

JJ has an interception in him as well as we saw against Australia last autumn, which might be a weapon if NZ do start flinging the ball outside of the 12. He covers centre and wing so could make the bench depending on what Gats wants.

I don't think he has done enough to get ahead of Teo so the bench thing will depend on whether Warren plays Teo in midfield or sticks with Sexton-Farrell.

Agree with this I think. Tipuric in particular looks made for these NZ test matches with his speed. He absolutely should be in the 23 and you could argue ahead of Warburton. This kid has to make the bench though IMO. He'd be brilliant to bring on second half.

JJ has an interception in him as well as we saw against Australia last autumn, which might be a weapon if NZ do start flinging the ball outside of the 12. He covers centre and wing so could make the bench depending on what Gats wants.

I don't think he has done enough to get ahead of Teo so the bench thing will depend on whether Warren plays Teo in midfield or sticks with Sexton-Farrell.

I imagine Te'o will stay, I'd replace Nowell with JJ. If Warburton has to stay...then Tipuric should be in place of Stander who hasn't looked 100% all tour.

Keeping 15 men on the park will be key for the AB's.
Dropping Cruden is long overdue. He can't go north soon enough for me.
Dagg on the wing or nowhere. He's not a fullback.

The weather will be key.
If it's hosing down again it could go either way in an almighty arm wrestle with a 7 point swing.
If it's dry, it's an AB victory by 11+ points.

Keeping 15 men on the park will be key for the AB's.
Dropping Cruden is long overdue. He can't go north soon enough for me.
Dagg on the wing or nowhere. He's not a fullback.

The weather will be key.
If it's hosing down again it could go either way in an almighty arm wrestle with a 7 point swing.
If it's dry, it's an AB victory by 11+ points.
Who's your sub 10 then? Lots of people seem to really dislike Sopoaga. And DMAC isn't ready to be your only 10 cover. Cruden won't be dropped.

And who do you have replacing Dagg? Who's Dagg replacing? I'm not challenging you, just curious about what you'd go for.

No Ben Smith, no Ryan Crotty, no Sonny Bill Williams. These are vital players in terms of skills and leadership. Their absence makes it very difficult playing a team the calibre of this Lions team.

No Ben Smith, no Ryan Crotty, no Sonny Bill Williams. These are vital players in terms of skills and leadership. Their absence makes it very difficult playing a team the calibre of this Lions team.

Is Crotty ruled out of Test 3?

Will Greenwood reckons he was running around in the warm up for 2nd Test and I can see him being the surprise return this week unless he's had a setback?

Who's your sub 10 then? Lots of people seem to really dislike Sopoaga. And DMAC isn't ready to be your only 10 cover. Cruden won't be dropped.

And who do you have replacing Dagg? Who's Dagg replacing? I'm not challenging you, just curious about what you'd go for.

Jordie Barrett at fullback, the kids electric.
Gives you an on field replacement for 10 as well.
I don't have a problem with Sopoaga other than a form issue.
I'd bring back Savea (julian) for a crack on the wing if Naholo isn't fit.
His try scoring record with the AB's is fierce. Quite often his super rugby form is average and then he turns it on for the AB's
His pedigree is second to none among those playing at the moment and he seems to have that special ingredient some players are gifted with... luck.

Last edited:
Playing an inexperienced combination at MF is risky imo. Hansen is best to stick to experience like he should have in the first place.

12 caps and 1 caps at 13. And 12. In the ABs biggest game since the RWC is careless and arrogant IMO.

Play the proven test players ffs. This isn't a time for trial and errors.

Laumape is front foot footy merchant currently . His defensive lapses vs the Lions were very costly. He hasn't got the experience to start a game of this magnitude.

We need to respect the Lions dedensive gane too and be more creative. With no SBW offload we might struggle with breaks.

ALB has a good offload and moves into space well, he's a good creator. Him at 12 and Fekitoa at 13 is more original. Fekitoa has a kicking game and hits gaps better than anyone at the moment.

Forget about Goodhue until EotYT.

12.ALB
13.Fekitoa

it has to be 12. ALB and 13. Fekitoa

anything else is too much of a gamble.

Fekitoa hasnt been getting perfect 10's every week but has played well enough for the highlanders. his defense doesnt make the highlight reel but the man knows how to tackle. he can be guilty of breaking the line to try and make a big spot tackle but he always knows thats what hes doing, if he misses it he turns on a dime and will more often than not run down his original mark. a calculated risk

i just wish we had Smith behind him as he knows what fekitoas going to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts