• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Series Predictions

What will be the result of the test series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3- 0 to the kiwis I'd say. They have to put a team together in a few weeks to beat NZ. Seems unlikely.

3- 0 to the kiwis I'd say. They have to put a team together in a few weeks to beat NZ. Seems unlikely.

2-1 to the ABs. I suspect that the Lions will play them close throughout, and pull out one win.

yeah the super rugby games are going to be very interesting. Can potentially throw up some suprises, look at the chiefs vs, wales game. Chiefs have some very good players that wont be with the AB's James Lowe and Donald had blinders in that game and they will likely be lining up again. The other big player that day was ALB, he likely wont be available. Chiefs will have the likes of Bird, Seu, Messam, Brown and likely an excellent front row, Lietch as well but hasn't performed well recently... I think that could be an interesting match.

Will be an interesting time for the likes of Messam, if he doesn't get the call up for the AB he will likely get the Chiefs and Maori games against the lions, potentially captain them as well..?

There is the potential for players who haven't been getting the game time to have a go and they often have a point to prove and they can be fresh too... makes for an interesting match up.
Yea for sure, the Chiefs probably more than anyone have the strongest non-AB side. I think you're right about Messam, and it'll be a nice way for him to finish up his NZ rugby career (assuming he's calling it a day after this season? I'm actually not sure)

yeah the super rugby games are going to be very interesting. Can potentially throw up some suprises, look at the chiefs vs, wales game. Chiefs have some very good players that wont be with the AB's James Lowe and Donald had blinders in that game and they will likely be lining up again. The other big player that day was ALB, he likely wont be available. Chiefs will have the likes of Bird, Seu, Messam, Brown and likely an excellent front row, Lietch as well but hasn't performed well recently... I think that could be an interesting match.

Will be an interesting time for the likes of Messam, if he doesn't get the call up for the AB he will likely get the Chiefs and Maori games against the lions, potentially captain them as well..?

There is the potential for players who haven't been getting the game time to have a go and they often have a point to prove and they can be fresh too... makes for an interesting match up.
Maybe rest James Lowe for us there, we have enough players being flogged by the Lions as is!!

Not sure if Chiefs will have there Maori players available to them.

Not sure if Chiefs will have there Maori players available to them.
Damn good point, the games are 3 days apart... that would be a major blow to the Chiefs as they have a very strong Maori contingent... hopefully those players will somehow manage to get up for both... or maybe they'll prioritize the chiefs game.

I reckon all the non test matches are going to be a lot closer than one would expect. Personally off to the Canes game so I'll analyse that:

Firstly it's the back end of the tour, Lions are going to be getting pretty tired by then, even with such a strong contingent of AB's in our pack we'll field a side like (assuming fit and unpicked for the AB's):

1. Reg Goodes
2. Ricky Riccitelli
3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4. Mark Abbott
5. Vaea Fifita
6. Brad Shields
7. Callum Gibbins
8. Blade Thomson
9. TTT
10. Otere Black
11. Vince Aso
12. Ngani Laumape
13. Matt Proctor
14. Cory Jane
15. Jordie Barrett

16. Leni Apisai
17. Ben May
18. Chris Eves
19. Sam Louisi
20. Reed Prinsep
21. Kylem O'Donnell
22. Peter Umaga-Jensen/ Pita Ahki (with Jordie covering 10)
23. Wes Goosen/ Ben Lam

Ok so there's some potential fringe AB's in there that may indeed get picked for the ABs and be unavailable: Jordie, Laumape, Shields (with the injuries), Fifita and even Aso. Jordie and Laumape probably the more likely of the lot. However regardless if they're there or not that's still a decent side coming up against what will be a tired Lions side.

Not to mention sides which are going to be at stronger strength like the Maori, Saders etc.

I reckon all the non test matches are going to be a lot closer than one would expect. Personally off to the Canes game so I'll analyse that:

Firstly it's the back end of the tour, Lions are going to be getting pretty tired by then, even with such a strong contingent of AB's in our pack we'll field a side like (assuming fit and unpicked for the AB's):

1. Reg Goodes
2. Ricky Riccitelli
3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4. Mark Abbott
5. Vaea Fifita
6. Brad Shields
7. Callum Gibbins
8. Blade Thomson
9. TTT
10. Otere Black
11. Vince Aso
12. Ngani Laumape
13. Matt Proctor
14. Cory Jane
15. Jordie Barrett

16. Leni Apisai
17. Ben May
18. Chris Eves
19. Sam Louisi
20. Reed Prinsep
21. Kylem O'Donnell
22. Peter Umaga-Jensen/ Pita Ahki (with Jordie covering 10)
23. Wes Goosen/ Ben Lam

Ok so there's some potential fringe AB's in there that may indeed get picked for the ABs and be unavailable: Jordie, Laumape, Shields (with the injuries), Fifita and even Aso. Jordie and Laumape probably the more likely of the lot. However regardless if they're there or not that's still a decent side coming up against what will be a tired Lions side.

Not to mention sides which are going to be at stronger strength like the Maori, Saders etc.
I'm off to this game too!
Agree that it should be very competitive and I agree with the side you've picked. There's even a possibility that NMS will be available too. If he's fit and firing you'd expect him to be in the ABs, but there's a good chance he won't have the time to play himself into the ABs, and so will be able to play this match. The main concern for me with this side is in the halfs... Black is a solid player but has had limited game time and TTT hasn't really impressed in the opportunities he's had. They're a massive drop off from TJ and Beaudy. Other than that though, it'll be a very strong team throughout and should give the Lions a real run for their money. If NMS is available, it'll be interesting to see how they work that back 3.

I'm off to this game too!
Agree that it should be very competitive and I agree with the side you've picked. There's even a possibility that NMS will be available too. If he's fit and firing you'd expect him to be in the ABs, but there's a good chance he won't have the time to play himself into the ABs, and so will be able to play this match. The main concern for me with this side is in the halfs... Black is a solid player but has had limited game time and TTT hasn't really impressed in the opportunities he's had. They're a massive drop off from TJ and Beaudy. Other than that though, it'll be a very strong team throughout and should give the Lions a real run for their money. If NMS is available, it'll be interesting to see how they work that back 3.
You lucky one :'(

Hmm. I think the Lions have a very real chance in the first test. We can often be slow off the blocks. Expecting a tight first test, but hopefully we should edge it 19-16. 2nd test will be a bit better and things will be gelling and combinations clicking. 24 - 14. By the 3rd I think it will be an open game and I really hope we go for the juggler and score some tries, 42 - 24.

3-0 series win, 2-1 is possible as well.

The Lion's main motivation is to knock over the ABs in their home patch. They will be judged on the number of Tests they win. Even Gatland said nobody remembers wins/losses against Super Rugby sides. However each Super Rugby team will be highly motivated to knock over the Lions. Hence for this reason I think we may see at least 2 wins from Super Rugby sides. Logic says the teams with the AB players, so Blues and Crusaders. However the Chiefs, Highlanders and Hurricanes will all be tough to be beat - they all have the talent and playing experience.

As for the ABs. They just don't like losing plan and simple. This may be their toughest test at home since the 2011 RWC final. They need their experienced players to return from injury. In form or not - they are needed. Likes of Read, Kaino, B Smith and Coles. These players have been through it all - wins and losses at crunch time at international and super rugby level.
If the Lions decide to play fire with fire then its ABs 3 zip with a margin. I don't think the Lions ball and hand skills are up to the standard of the ABs.
If the Lions play set piece oriented game that suffocates the ABs of possession then they have a chance. Similar to the way Crusaders dismantled Hurricanes. It will be interesting to see what each team does if Plan A is not working.

I am hopeful that the Lions can win one of the tests. Looking forward to exploring NZ In their winter.

I'm predicting a 2-1 NZ win. I think the Lions squad is good enough that they should win one game if we pick our best side and don't play Warrenball. I still have hope we won't...

+1.

Lions to maybe get close in the 1st game and get smashed in the others.
Crusaders and Canes to win too.

I have opted for the 2-1 for the AB's.
I really am fond of the whole Lions idea and ethos.
It's a sporting anachronism and I have a soft spot for teams like the Baa Baa's that bring players and countries together with a single goal in mind.
While my heart beats black I don't share the same level of optimism that the boys back home are espousing.
I thik the Lions are a dangerous mob, they have a lot of size and pace. They have a lot of players with experience, talent and good engines. This looks a vastly better team than the Lions squad that went to the boneyard in 2005 when DC was on fire.
It also has a southern hemisphere coach instead of stuffy old Woodward.
Obviously I want my beloved AB's to take the series but we have a lot of young fellas in our squad and the mean old men from the north could well pull an upset out of the bag.
The Lions have far better goal kickers and they have the ability to play a 10 man rugby game and grind out a bruising win if need be. They could throttle the AB's for possession for long periods and crank up the ponts through successful kicks.
It is still a big ask to go to the graveyard of so many international teams and try to upset the AB's on their hallowed home turf.
The Blacks will be seeing this as games of legend and the young fellas will be up for it but that lack of experience might be their undoing.
It's so hard to call but I'm going a close series win where each game is a cliff hanger, won by a great kick by Farrell, an outrageous running play by Beauden Barrett and possibly a final match winning try coming from a winger receiving an extraordinary back flick from SBW who takes two tacklers to make the overlap... the AB's get home just ahead of the mighty Lions.
2-1 to the World Champs.

Well, 48 days later, and here we are. I'll stick by my original prediction and say that it'll be 3-0 to the ABs, but that it will be very competitive and incredibly intense. I still think that the Lions boys can challenge us like we haven't been challenged in years. Admittedly, my confidence in them was waning a bit prior to the Maori game and I was starting to lean more towards an ABs romp, but with the way they've come together this last week and with the team that Gats has selected, I reckon the Lions will genuinely challenge the ABs... ultimately though I doubt they'll come out on top in any of the matches.
So, 3-0 to NZ, but a competitive series, especially in the 1st test with atrocious weather expected, Lions momentum and potential ABs rust.

Latest posts