• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Series Predictions

What will be the result of the test series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
The tour is less than a month away now, and the 1st test in 48 days so......... how do we think the series will play out? Who'll win? Will it be a good, competitive series, or one-sided? I've seen a lot of people arguing both ways...

Personally I think the ABs will win the series, but I'm in a toss up over whether it'll be 2-1 or 3-0.
Regardless, I think it'll be a highly competitive and intense series and certainly think the Lions will challenge the ABs like they haven't been challenged for a while...

I think a lot of Kiwis are underestimating the Lions / overestimating the ABs and may be in for a bit of a shock when the Lions roll up and give it to our boys. We're under a big injury cloud atm, with a worryingly high proportion of key players in doubt, and the Lions have a strong squad across the board and a whole lot of motivation....

Like I said though, I do believe that the ABs will win the series... I think the skillfull, high-paced, clinical nature of our play across the park will just be too much for the Lions in the end... but it will be a mighty challenge!

At the risk of sounding cocky, I'll make my honest prediction: 3-0 to the All Blacks.

3 zip NZ. Lions wont get within 10 points.
I like your confidence! :p
I think the Lions' best chance of winning is in the first game... we'll have only had a game against Samoa as preparation and will have a number of guys just returning from injury, if not still injured.
The Lions on the other hand (if they are managed right) should all be very match fit, have combinations gelling and be rearing to go.

The first test is the only chance the lions have, new Zealand being undercooked. But with the form of the super rugby teams, everyone looks in great shape.
First test might be close, maybe just maybe a lions win. The next 2 test I think will be a slaughter.

My prediction is:
1. Narrow NZ win (<12, Which is narrow for the ABs)
2. NZ blowout
3. Narrow win (probably for NZ, but wouldn't count the lions out having a big final test)

The Lions have some great players but they haven't played together as a unit, their coach may be inferior to their respective national team coaches and their tour is shorter, reducing the ability for them to find form.

I think despite NZ injuries in the pack they'll be fine. The Crusaders pack alone is probably the best in Super Rugby this season.

I'm predicting a 2-1 NZ win. I think the Lions squad is good enough that they should win one game if we pick our best side and don't play Warrenball. I still have hope we won't...

I expect the AB's to win 3-0 and I kinda think there will be at least one blowout.

The first test is going to be an interesting one, AB's tend to need a game or so to get going each season and one run against Samoa isn't ideal prep. Samoa are big and physical and are very passionate playing the AB's and we will mostly be concerned about injuries, banking a win and resisting the physical onslaught from Samoa. I look at the 2015 hit out against Samoa. It wasn't a great game.

AB's prep going into this series isn't ideal. Right smack in the business end of the super rugby season. Some players have had big workloads, others have been injured. I think some of our players have suffered a bit of a hangover from huge workloads last year. But generally the standard of rugby in NZ right now is arguably the best it has ever been.

Strong points for the AB's.
A lot of attention is going to be on Bauden Barrett. The game may never have seen a player as good on attack all round as Bauden, he combines an ability to see and exploit space, tactical kicking and blistering speed
Aaron Smiths recent return to form is a massive boost. TJ Perenara is in great form as well and more physical, while smith is like an all out 9 Perenara is almost like an extra loose forward at times. Its very important to have our 9 playing well to take some attention off barrett. All 3 of our top halfbacks are in very good form.
Retalick & Whitelock maybe the best locking partnership in the history of the sport. Scott Barrett seems to be lining up as the #3 and will be a solid bench option.
Ben Smith, sure experienced hand and constant attacking threat.
Our bench is sure to be strong and make an impact.

Weak areas.
Have a lot of talent for the backs but in many positions we dont have established players. 11, 12 ,13 & 14 are all a bit of a question mark.
Injuries and spells on the sidelines for some key players. Kaino, Read, Squire, Coles, SBW and now Cruden.

Injuries and spells on the sidelines for some key players. Kaino, Read, Squire, Coles, SBW and now Cruden.
Just to add on to that... Dagg, Milner-Skudder, Tuipolotu, Sopoaga, Whitelock (suspension)...
I really don't recall the last time we had an injury ward of that many top class players.

NZ to annihilate the Lions who will go full on Warrenball and, when asked to play a different style, will give the ball to JD who will throw it into row G or hoof it to the fastest NZ player on the pitch.

Also Biggar and Webb to whinge at least 5 times a game.

To be honest I don't think I'd expect England or Ireland to get a win in a three game test series starting and finishing in Eden Park so an underprepared coach with worse coaching staff shouldn't be expected to do anything.

Interesting... I thought I'd see a bit more backing for the Lions, but I guess people have no faith in Galtland lol.
I still think the tests will be somewhat competitive and have a lot of edge to them, even if it is a clean sweep to the ABs.

Last edited:
The first two tests to be close - with ABs nicking both, but the third to be a blowout and ABs winning comfortably.

Also Biggar and Webb to whinge at least 5 times a game.

Significant under-estimation there I reckon.

2-1 NZ for me - Lions to sneak the first game.
Don't see a hammering in any of the tests, although I can completely understand why others do.

NZ will be too good. I'm almost looking more forward to the midweek games. There should be some crackers in there!

yeah, two tests at Eden Park has to factor in. May help us a bit in the first test which as history tells us is the tricky one.

but one think that may help to blunt the home advantage a bit is that there are sure to be a heck of a lot of Lions supporters coming.

Likely 3-0 to the All Blacks, but that doesn't mean I think the Lions will be massively uncompetitive.

What do people predict for the other 7 matches in the tour?

Barbarians
Blues
Crusaders
Highlanders
Maori
Chiefs
------
Hurricanes
------
------

The Barbarians and Blues will be like warm-up matches for the lions, and I think they're easy favourites vs the Maori, but the other SR teams should be interesting. They're well-established teams and in good form currently.

How will it be as far as the Lions resting players and player availability for the SR teams in the international window?

Likely 3-0 to the All Blacks, but that doesn't mean I think the Lions will be massively uncompetitive.

What do people predict for the other 7 matches in the tour?

Barbarians
Blues
Crusaders
Highlanders
Maori
Chiefs
------
Hurricanes
------
------

The Barbarians and Blues will be like warm-up matches for the lions, and I think they're favourites vs the Maori, but the other SR teams should be interesting.

The only SR teams that will have their ABs are the Blues and Crusaders. Thus, I think the Crusaders are certainly the best chance to beat them, and I'd actually back them to do so.
I'm not sure what kind of personnel will be included in the Maori, but they are always a good side. Given the Canes, Chiefs and Landers won't have their ABs, and the Blues are the Blues, I think the Maori are the next best chance to win, but there's not a lot in it between them and the SR sides.
Anyway, other than the Saders game which is a 50/50, I think the Lions are favourites for all of the non-tests, but they should all be good competitive games (except for the Barbarians game, the Lions should dominate that).

yeah the super rugby games are going to be very interesting. Can potentially throw up some suprises, look at the chiefs vs, wales game. Chiefs have some very good players that wont be with the AB's James Lowe and Donald had blinders in that game and they will likely be lining up again. The other big player that day was ALB, he likely wont be available. Chiefs will have the likes of Bird, Seu, Messam, Brown and likely an excellent front row, Lietch as well but hasn't performed well recently... I think that could be an interesting match.

Will be an interesting time for the likes of Messam, if he doesn't get the call up for the AB he will likely get the Chiefs and Maori games against the lions, potentially captain them as well..?

There is the potential for players who haven't been getting the game time to have a go and they often have a point to prove and they can be fresh too... makes for an interesting match up.

Latest posts