• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

That 2005 BOD Spear tackle.... Some thoughts 7 years later?

kovana

Bench Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Blues
Okay been done to death, was watching the incident again... and a NH poster raised the issue on it once again in another forum concerning that tip tackle by Tana and Mealamu and BOD which resulted in him getting injured.

But i have noticed a general lack of care by NZ posters when looking at their comments regarding this incident. In fact, most of them seem to troll it and laugh it off.

Also, the TJ is right there and is talking to Tana and Mealamu at the time of the incident? How was this not a banning?

When Richie gets targeted, it usually results in a penalty/suspension against the person who did it.

Here is a gif.

wtf-is-the-tj-doing-o.gif

Just want some thoughts on this tackle.. and mainly the Kiwi posters.

First Rolland, now this.

Andy Haden is a *******.
NZ didn't get close to the line in 2005.

That GIF isn't very clear.

Frankly, they were just less harsh back then. The big push against spear tackles etc. came shortly after. It's just unfortunate really.

I don't put it down to thuggery, I put it down to carelessness.

Frankly, they were just less harsh back then. The big push against spear tackles etc. came shortly after. It's just unfortunate really.

WOw... This is exactly the kind of response i was hoping not to get.

So, the gif isnt clear. You dont put it down to thuggery? It was carelessness?

So whats your opinion on the Greyling incident last weekend on Richie Mccaw? Because you know, the gifs were not clear... and it looked like a bit of mistiming on Greylings part... So it was an uncalled for YC right?

I don't think it's a "general lack of care" at all ...unless you mean that, my fellow New Zealand posters can't be bothered posting on something that is seven years old, that they can do nothing about.

... I'll admit that there should have been a suspension, but there's nothing new there ... I've said it on here before.

... I don't agree that players targeting Ritchie get suspended anymore than any other players target other players with foul play ... in fact, I think that the judiciary get most of the players infringing, but they do miss stuff.

I'd rather that they got most of the offenders, than let someone off, just because someone else got away with a similar offence ... after all, the aim is to erase as much foul play from the game as possible, right?

I don't think it's a "general lack of care" at all ...unless you mean that, my fellow New Zealand posters can't be bothered posting on something that is seven years old, that they can do nothing about.

... I'll admit that there should have been a suspension, but there's nothing new there ... I've said it on here before.

... I don't agree that players targeting Ritchie get suspended anymore than any other players target other players with foul play ... in fact, I think that the judiciary get most of the players infringing, but they do miss stuff.

I'd rather that they got most of the offenders, than let someone off, just because someone else got away with a similar offence ... after all, the aim is to erase as much foul play from the game as possible, right?

Agreed, But as you can see Shaggy. A kiwi posted just above and his general view was that it was carelessness.. Unbelievable.

Its also quite strange that the TJ is RIGHT THERE. Almost touches Tana as well at one time... But yet does not do anything about it.

Not having a word of that. You don't carelessly drive a guy head first into the ground. You carelessly drop a guy, but not that.

For what it's worth, I, and many others, lost an awful lot of respect for Tana that day. It was, from my perspective, deliberate, malicious, and very ill fitting of an All Black captain. Shocking altogether that he failed to get a ban. Especially when you consider the suspension handed out to Trevor Brennan for having a go at a hostile fan.

Kevin Mealamu got away scot free btw. That prick hasn't been forgotten.

Not having a word of that. You don't carelessly drive a guy head first into the ground. You carelessly drop a guy, but not that.

For what it's worth, I, and many others, lost an awful lot of respect for Tana that day. It was, from my perspective, deliberate, malicious, and very ill fitting of an All Black captain. Shocking altogether that he failed to get a ban. Especially when you consider the suspension handed out to Trevor Brennan for having a go at a hostile fan.

Even thou they are Samoan, i also lost some respect for Tana as well.

But mealamu is another case, he has form, i think he is a grubby little character who pretends to be a nice guy. That match where he head butted another player and WAS Caught was priceless. I thought his ban would have been longer... and the outrage shown by some of the NZ media saying the ban was uncalled for was just crazy.

I see your BOD tackle and raise you John Smit dump by Brad Thorn

EDIT: dump

WOw... This is exactly the kind of response i was hoping not to get.

So, the gif isnt clear. You dont put it down to thuggery? It was carelessness?

So whats your opinion on the Greyling incident last weekend on Richie Mccaw? Because you know, the gifs were not clear... and it looked like a bit of mistiming on Greylings part... So it was an uncalled for YC right?

My point re: the gif was that you're better off posting an actual video of the incident, if you're going to bring it up at all, because the gif shows very little.

Tackling/clearing out is part of the game, it's not like a random player was taken out. Completely different to Greyling where he had no business doing anything even close to what he did. If you can't see the difference, well then I do worry somewhat.

My views on the tackle are influenced by the fact that Mealamu and Umaga have very clean records bar this incident (Mealamu's fairly recent ban aside, of course) - that's two players who have played over 600 matches between them. I just think it's a bit strange that two such players would do such a dangerous thing with the intention of injuring someone.

Just my opinion.

Agreed, But as you can see Shaggy. A kiwi posted just above and his general view was that it was carelessness.. Unbelievable.

Its also quite strange that the TJ is RIGHT THERE. Almost touches Tana as well at one time... But yet does not do anything about it.

... and the same poster points out that the judiary are a lot tougher now .. you seem to be trying to justify one piece of foul play, by Tana and Mealamu getting away with this ... two wrongs don't make a right

My point re: the gif was that you're better off posting an actual video of the incident, if you're going to bring it up at all, because the gif shows very little.

Tackling/clearing out is part of the game, it's not like a random player was taken out. Completely different to Greyling where he had no business doing anything even close to what he did. If you can't see the difference, well then I do worry somewhat.

The gif clearly shows Mealamu and Tana lifting BOD and doing a downwards tipping tackle. The others here can see it but you cannot. Strange ey.

Also, there is a difference between clearing out a player at ruck time, and a fricken tip tackle. And you have the gall to accuse me of not understanding the situation.

Greylings actions were illegal! FACT. You have no problems agreeing with that because it was on Richie. But yet you seem to steadfastly refuse to accept that the Tip tackle of BOD was illegal as well. Congrats. Either you trolling or really are just a sinister individual.

Again, this total lack of care is one the reasons most people dislike the ABs.

Kovana it happened in 2005 mate, let it go. I bet we're all sick and tired of this. Hell if an AB moans about Bakkies Botha to me I'm going to tell him to calm the **** down, bakkies doesn't play anymore.

My views on the tackle are influenced by the fact that Mealamu and Umaga have very clean records bar this incident (Mealamu's fairly recent ban aside, of course) - that's two players who have played over 600 matches between them. I just think it's a bit strange that two such players would do such a dangerous thing with the intention of injuring someone.

Just my opinion.

Didn't Umanga get himself in a fight when he was Toulon coach?

... and the same poster points out that the judiary are a lot tougher now .. you seem to be trying to justify one piece of foul play, by Tana and Mealamu getting away with this ... two wrongs don't make a right

What foul play are you saying im trying to Justify? The Greyling incident? Are you crazy. Foul play is foul play. Full stop. Im just using that as point showing invictus how he can say the tackle on BOD was at worst just carelessness.

Also, i just thought it would be interesting to see peoples reactions 7 years on.

And apart from you, the other 2 kiwis here are just doing the same thing in regards to just waving it off as if it wasnt illegal at all.

Latest posts