• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 2010 "What's your excuse Martin" game

To say he got shown up is unfair. That suggests Kearney played better than Byrne to oust him. In truth, Byrne was having a pretty good tour until he got injured. If he hadn't Kearney wouldn't have seen the 15 shirt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 7 2010, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To say he got shown up is unfair. That suggests Kearney played better than Byrne to oust him. In truth, Byrne was having a pretty good tour until he got injured. If he hadn't Kearney wouldn't have seen the 15 shirt.[/b]
Hm, yes. I meant 'shown up' in the sense that Kearney won far more plaudits than Byrne. Perhaps unfairly, but regardless, he played better when he had the opportunity.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 7 2010, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 7 2010, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To say he got shown up is unfair. That suggests Kearney played better than Byrne to oust him. In truth, Byrne was having a pretty good tour until he got injured. If he hadn't Kearney wouldn't have seen the 15 shirt.[/b]
Hm, yes. I meant 'shown up' in the sense that Kearney won far more plaudits than Byrne. Perhaps unfairly, but regardless, he played better when he had the opportunity.
[/b][/quote]
I shan't dispute that. He was awesome.

Kearney won far more plaudits than Byrne thanks mostly to the band-wagon jumpers and the Irish press (who are just as bad as anywhere else in the world). Kearney was also fortunate enough to be injury free for the whole season.

In reality, when those pair were going head to head in last years 6 nations, Byrne was the better player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 7 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Kearney won far more plaudits than Byrne thanks mostly to the band-wagon jumpers and the Irish press (who are just as bad as anywhere else in the world).[/b]

I won't hear that as long as long as Brian Moore, Jeremy Guscott, Stuart Barnes and Dewi Morris are on our screens.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 7 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 7 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kearney won far more plaudits than Byrne thanks mostly to the band-wagon jumpers and the Irish press (who are just as bad as anywhere else in the world).[/b]

I won't hear that as long as long as Brian Moore, Jeremy Guscott, Stuart Barnes and Dewi Morris are on our screens.
[/b][/quote]

What is people's problem with Brian Moore? He's opinionated, yes. He's English, yes. But it's not like he goes on about how good England are or how good some English players are. He may be passionate about the team doing well, but he is passionate with a dose of reality.

You can criticise Guscott and Stuart Barnes a lot because they talk a lot of **** all the time. But the Irish media loved up Kearney long before the Lions, which was the first time he deserved any praise at all.

I quite like Moore nowerdays, I think he's improved alot as a commentator, and he understands the game well. His outbursts in the press are usually well written and about sensible things.

Anyone else wondered how on earth a bloke named Dewi Morris isn't Welsh? Also find it odd that his name is pronnounced Dawi aswell.

Barnes is a lot better now then he used to be - I think having Will Greenwood next to him has calmed him down no-end.

Dewi Morris however is a one-eyed prick and should be banned from our screens (his obsession with getting Shaun Perry back into the England team for example). And yes, he is actually Welsh.

One reason I feel sorry for all rugby fans outside of Ireland is that none of them get to hear the commentating of Ryle Nugent. He sounds like Brian O'Driscoll on speed.

Don't forget the insightful Ralph Keyes, we are truly blessed when it comes to commentators.

And lets not forget George Hamilton who sort of knows the rules of rugby. Kind of. But not really.

Frankie Sheahan's attempt at co commentary was pretty lolarious. George Hook is cack. Pope and O' Shea are great!

Latest posts