Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Exactly what it says on the tin!

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/32387.php#.U-NUaEi1nbs

Having been sidelined for much of last season with a troublesome knee complaint, Baxter is looking at switching the 33-year-old into the forwards this season to help utilise his considerable frame.

The former Stormers star - who is set to begin his fifth season at Sandy Park - initially arrived as a winger, making his debut in Exeter's maiden season in the Aviva Premiership in an away game at Northampton Saints.

Over time, however, Baxter has mainly utilised Naqelevuki in the centre of the club's back division where he has claimed 14 tries in 55 first team appearances.

Now, a change of vision from the Chiefs coaching team has seen them look into the idea of exploiting Naqelevuki's talents within the pack and the international star is set to play in a couple of academy games this month as a forward to see how he adapts to the change.

"Sireli is training a fair bit with the forwards with a view that we're going to have a look at him as a back-rower," said Baxter. "We'll see how that goes in a few pre-season run-outs. We are looking at him as a ball-carrying back-row option.

"It'll be relatively easy for Sireli to drop back to playing in the backs if that's what we decide to do, but he's spending a bit of time with the forwards and that gives us the opportunity to have a look at him in a couple of the academy run-outs we have on Tuesday nights to give him the opportunity to settle in and see how it goes for him. Whether we get to look at him in one of the main pre-season games will depend on how those outings go.

"It is a bit of an experiment but the thing with Sireli is that he's a very natural rugby player, so far he has dropped into most of it very well. If you think of Sireli's strengths, if we can get him on the ball a little bit more in the back-row we may make the most of his best attributes."

Interesting... Obviously there is a bit of cross over between a crash ball centre and a back row so it isn't the most unlikely switch. Of course if this works certain coaches in Bath might be tempted to try it as well, who knows.

Quins are currently training in the French Alps in prep for their first pre-season against Grenoble. No real news other than it sounds like Marland Yarde has taken to the cub like a fish to water.

We cancelled our half-n-half game vs Salford Red Devils, thank God.

Well on the Falcons front...few of our ten main signings played in the first friendly v Bayonne last night which we lost 26-25. But it was an encouraging run out.

We're struggling with LH's though. Only Eric Fry (USA Prop from London Scottish) Vickers (Who transferred to LH from Hooker last year - and was brilliant mind) on our books. And have just loaned in Alex Rodgers former quins LH.

Good result for you guys - lord knows you need to step up from last year.

Quins team to face Grenoble tomorrow has been names, obviously a few big names rested (Brown, Robshaw, Care, Yarde) but still looks a fairly solid side. Interested to see how Sloan/Tikoirotuma get on, what the from five looks likes and how Clifford does of the bench. Also of note, we've named two players who are primarily tens on the bench in Botica and Grimoldby. I'm assuming Louis is there to cover 15 as well.

15. Ross Chisholm
14. Charlie Walker
13. Aseli Tikoirotuma
12. Harry Sloan
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Karl Dickson

1. Mark Lambert
2. Rob Buchanan
3. Will Collier
4. Sam Twomey
5. Charlie Matthews
6. Joe Trayfoot
7. Luke Wallace
8. Nick Easter (C)

16. Charlie Piper
17. Darryl Marfo
18. Paul Doran Jones
19. Kieran Treadwell
20. Jack Clifford
21. Sam Stuart
22. Ben Botica
23. Louis Grimoldby

We cancelled our half-n-half game vs Salford Red Devils, thank God.

I was actually very curious to see how that would've went. It's a great way for Union teams to work on defensive areas and kicking game

Anyone who is interested in watching pre-season games should bear in mind that they will be broadcast on tv in France.

If you are an internet n00b then pm me for my friend's email address so he can advise on how you can watch it.

Quins and Irish are both playing today.

Tigers rumours from the Open day.

Miles Benjamin fully fit but cant play until October due to long term injury regulations.

Dan Cole is doing limited training which is very good to hear.

Quins lost their first pre-season game away to Grenoble, okay performance and I think the relatively second string nature of our side showed. Lots of less experienced partnerships and a few new faces getting involved.

If anyone comes across half decent highlights do let me know. Can't find any so far.

How did Buchanan get on in the run out. He looks a prospect.

He did ok - the pack were dominated totally though... Grenoble were a lot more physical.

I may have been imagining it but he looked a little bigger than before.

It will be interesting to see how Joel Hodgson goes with Saints...they've got a cracking player there.

If he's given a chance due to Dickson being away with England etc...he could impress. He's fast and creative and signed as a 9 for Saints.

So what is your presumed starting 15 for the first game of the season:

Falcons - Probably (allowing for injuries)

1 Eric Fry...2 George McGuigan....3 Keiron Brookes
.........4 Dom Barrow.......5 Scott McLeod
6 Josh Furno....8 Kane Thompson........7 Will Welch

9 Mike Blair
10 Rory Clegg
11 Alex Tuilagi
12 Juan Pablo Socino
13 Adam Powell / Gonzalo Tiesi
14 Sinotti Sinotti
15 Alex Tait

Last edited:
It's hard to say, for Sale. The front row and backs basically pick themselves, but second back row is harder to guess, more so with the signing of Lund. It was all but confirmed that Paterson would move to the backrow to replace gaskell, with hines coming into the second, but now I'm not so sure. Also lund being another 7 when we've already got two starting....

Ill just say what I want our side to be in the opener vs Bath instead:

Di Marchi, Jones, Cobilas
Ostrikov, Hines
Braid, Seymour, Paterson
Cussiter, Cipriani,
Cueto, Tuitupou, Leota, Brady
McLean

**Whoever we sign as injury cover for Taylor**, Harrison, ELR, Mills, Fihaki/Lund, Fowles/Cliff, Ford/Macleod, Addison

Olly, whats your opinion of Joe Ford? I though he was quite good when at Leeds but didn't seem to play much last season.

For Quins a XV of something like this would be my best bet:

1 Marler (C)
2 Ward
3 Sinkler
4 Matthew
5 Robson
6 Wallace
7 Robshaw
8 Easter
9 Care
10 Evans
11 Monye / Walker
12 JTH
13 Tikoirotuma
14 Yarde
15 Brown

Thats being said, we've got a few new guys, have lost some key players, a number of young players set to spend more time in the 1st XV and some people retuning from injury so at this stage there are a few areas(centres and back row) where there is the potential for things to be very different. All in all thats a pretty decent starting XV, JTH is my only gripe, and there are plenty of good bench options.

Olly, whats your opinion of Joe Ford? I though he was quite good when at Leeds but didn't seem to play much last season.
I really like him, good distributor and runner of the ball and a decent boot. His form really benefits from regular game time, though, and going into a side with Cipriani, and Macleod being one of our longest serving players and also first choice 10 when he arrived, it's not something he was getting.
Looke to have overtaken Macleod as 2nd choice 10 towards the end of the season, so hopefully that continues.

Patchey

Will Clifford get many runs out this season?
How do you think you'll cope against some of the bigger packs in the prem? Will you try to run them around or can you compete in a battle.

Latest posts