• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 2015 Southern Hemisphere Rugby Season

Start the Premiership/Pro12/Top 14 at the usual time, or earlier, and suspend it during the World Cup. Its not much to ask that they do this once every four years.

As I've said already they are. They are starting the Premiership during the knock our stages they have suspended the start of the competition for over a month.

Our Clubs are independent businesses it is very difficult for them to build a sustainable product when there are huge chunks missing in the season it is better for everyone to do it this way.

We already do this every year in Super Rugby because NH clubs/Unons refuse to allow their players to tour a few weeks later in July for the SH Winter Tours so that we can complete our domestic season. This also results in us having to compress the ITM Cup with double rounds and no bye rounds because the late finish of Super Rugby doesn't allow enough time to play it out fully.

We don't allow players to tour later because they need the mandatory rest period before they go back on duty just lik yours get after their international and domestic seasons. We already play domestic competitions through the EOYT and the 6Nations whereas your players get a three week rest in June. Why not play the Super 15 through the June windows each year like we do in the EOYT, then your ITM issues go away...

I really fail to see why we should move our seasons around to fix a problem SANZAR have created for themselves by butchering the format of the S15 and it's only going to get worse with the expansion.

As I've said already they are. They are starting the Premiership during the knock our stages they have suspended the start of the competition for over a month.

Our Clubs are independent businesses it is very difficult for them to build a sustainable product when there are huge chunks missing in the season it is better for everyone to do it this way.

We don't allow players to tour later because they need the mandatory rest period before they go back on duty just lik yours get after their international and domestic seasons. We already play domestic competitions through the EOYT and the 6Nations whereas your players get a three week rest in June. Why not play the Super 15 through the June windows each year like we do in the EOYT, then your ITM issues go away...

I really fail to see why we should move our seasons around to fix a problem SANZAR have created for themselves by butchering the format of the S15 and it's only going to get worse with the expansion.

If it was regular round robin player in Super Rugby in June, I wouldn't have a problem with them playing through the June window, but I think that June would include the Finals/Semi Finals if this were to occur. Ideally we want to see a schedule where the best players are on show for both the test matches, and the finals, but that doesn't happen (England V NZ, 1st June test, 2014)

As a general comment, I really hope a global season can be agreed upon sometime soon, as these issues aren't going to get fixed until then. I know that there are factors that could make a global season difficult, such as weather etc, but, this is the only way I can see a remotely fair system for ALL parties occurring.

... off course, this will require compromise from all parties to achieve this

That isn't what I suggested, which was to start the Premiership earlier (e.g. at the beginning of August), then suspend it for the six weeks of RWC and resume it immediately afterwards.

The Heineken Cup seemed to do alright building a sustainable product with up to five weeks between rounds. Of course, it remains to be seen if the RCC can, but I have no doubt they will.

We don't allow players to tour later because they need the mandatory rest period before they go back on duty just lik yours get after their international and domestic seasons.

Then take their rest period after the NH leagues and before the Southern Tours

We already play domestic competitions through the EOYT and the 6Nations whereas your players get a three week rest in June. Why not play the Super 15 through the June windows each year like we do in the EOYT, then your ITM issues go away...

As pointed out by Shaggy, doing that would put international rugby in the middle of play-offs. Could you image what PRL would say if the powers that be were to decide that 6N would be played in May and June?

Hang on. Its not us that has three different competitions involving the same teams jammed into a single season. Its entirely possible for the same teams to play each other as many as seven times in a single season. IMO, that is just crazy

That isn't what I suggested, which was to start the Premiership earlier (e.g. at the beginning of August), then suspend it for the six weeks of RWC and resume it immediately afterwards.

Same man different hat SC, the point is we are both advocating they do not play their domestic league during the world cup and the aren't, moving forward or backwards eats into rest time or other competitions.

The clubs would happily play through the World Cup, which would help with fixture congestion, if they were allowed but they aren't as host nation all domestic competition is supposed to be suspended during world cups.

The Heineken Cup seemed to do alright building a sustainable product with up to five weeks between rounds. Of course, it remains to be seen if the RCC can, but I have no doubt they will.

It's two very different things, the clubs here need regular games to generate a regular income, it's really hard to do that with a two month gap with no rugby in the middle of your season. S15 is suspended for 3 weeks, not 6, the HC/RCC doesn't do this as the rugby continues the fans still come through so while the competitions are fractured the season isn't as there is regular club rugby from September to May.

Then take their rest period after the NH leagues and before the Southern Tours

Why should we do that? It makes no sense to start your season with Internationals you build towards them and assess people on form - it's completely counter productive to have a pre-season then to select on last years form.

As pointed out by Shaggy, doing that would put international rugby in the middle of play-offs.

After last years June window there were 3 Rounds of Super Rugby played before the knock out stages plus many teams had a rest week (iirc).

Hang on. Its not us that has three different competitions involving the same teams jammed into a single season. Its entirely possible for the same teams to play each other as many as seven times in a single season. IMO, that is just crazy

I agree.

Look, I'm not saying our system is perfect and there are lots of changes i'd make to the seaosn structure if i had the power, but it is very finely balanced to provide a workable system for all NH rugby - our unions don't have the same overall control that SH unions do, that has it's plus and minus points, and this is the best compromise that allows clubs to deliver a regular product and continuous cash flow that is needed by all businesses.

Moving our system around is very very difficult, but they have done it this time out.

Last edited:
This competition is sooooooooooo boring..... kidding :D
It's lost a lot of it's gloss, but i still watch it, because rugby is such a great game.

Latest posts