The 2020 Olympics are going to......Tokyo, Japan

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/24002795

Tokyo has been chosen to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games ahead of Istanbul and Madrid.
The Japanese capital won a majority of second-round votes from International Olympic Committee (IOC) members in Buenos Aires to beat Istanbul.
Madrid had earlier been eliminated in a first round of voting.

I've always wanted to go to Japan, looks a bloomin interesting country and think its a good move to take the Games there after a European and a South American games.

RWC plus Olympics? Japan sure isn't going to be hurting for international sporting events.

Expect to see wrestling back on the Olympic menu come 2020. Japan took 4 golds in London.

Expect to see wrestling back on the Olympic menu come 2020. Japan took 4 golds in London.

Yep Wrestling got voted back in today, what a farce attempting to get rid of it in the first place. It's one of the Olympics most time honoured and heck even humanities time honoured physical competitions.....now bring back Tug of War!!!!

eyyy, Little Guy, where u been man ?! don't think I've seen you on TRC forum (or have I ?..). Well I mean your presence has been discrete at very least.

yay, congrats to our Asian friends. China must be furious lol.

It is the last of the three candidate cities that I would have chosen. Surely there were a few "gifts" here and there that made some people change their minds.

It is the last of the three candidate cities that I would have chosen. Surely there were a few "gifts" here and there that made some people change their minds.

Show me a sporting organisation that is not corrupt......FiFA, Olympics, IRB, etc etc have been for decades!

Yep Wrestling got voted back in today, what a farce attempting to get rid of it in the first place. It's one of the Olympics most time honoured and heck even humanities time honoured physical competitions.....now bring back Tug of War!!!!

Agree with all of that...especially the last.

Tug of War would be fascinating!

You know Japan will run a good competition. It's a shame - I wanted to see Istanbul but protests (legitimate) put paid to that and Spain is dead broke so there weren't too many options really.

Who was up for it? Madrid and Istanbul wasn't it? One is in a hugely volatile area with a country that has failed state written all over it as a nearest neighbour and the other is up to their eyes in depth. Can't really complain.

To be fair though - Istanbul is a long way from Syria. Tokyo is probably closer to North Korea.

To be fair though - Istanbul is a long way from Syria. Tokyo is probably closer to North Korea.

It's actually about dead even, though Tokyo has a large body of water in between as opposed to land. Istanbul just for it's rich history would have been cool to see but I think Tokyo is the safe option and a wise one, I have no idea why Madrid didn't cancel their bid, pretty outrageous to ask other's to bail you out of your economic mess and continue to bid on something so frivoulous(when compared to the other missed oppourtunity costs those billions could be spent on), at least Italy had the decency and common sense to abandon their bid years ago.

Madrid have been using their EU 'Bale out' money for different things ;)

It's actually about dead even, though Tokyo has a large body of water in between as opposed to land. Istanbul just for it's rich history would have been cool to see but I think Tokyo is the safe option and a wise one, I have no idea why Madrid didn't cancel their bid, pretty outrageous to ask other's to bail you out of your economic mess and continue to bid on something so frivoulous(when compared to the other missed oppourtunity costs those billions could be spent on), at least Italy had the decency and common sense to abandon their bid years ago.
Because it was the third time Madrid was running for it and almost all facilities were already built. That's one explanation among many (all them true) and the most polite one.

Let's say that civil engineering and construction companies are to Spain as weaponry and defense are to USA. They are the most powerful lobbies on town...USA starts wars for no real (but economic) reasons even if debt ceiling needs to be pushed to the stratosphere and Spain does the same with major construction projects.

We do have corrupt gov'ts as anyone on this world (a canadian mining company wants to destroy a huge area of paramount natural beauty in northwest Galicia...well, locals don't like it to happen. Guess which side picks their local representants)...difference is ours don't let us get a life. Spain is among the worst rated first world countries regarding economic freedom. Pure crony capitalism.

I live in Madrid. Friends, coworkers and acquaintances of mine didn't like the games to be given to us.

Latest posts