• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 24 teams for next season HEC

D

DonBilly

Heineken 24 Confirmed
6 June 2007, 4:14 pm
The Board of ERC has confirmed the 24 teams from six countries who will compete in the 2007 / 2008 Heineken Cup.
The Pool Draw will take place later in June and the venue, date, time and other details will be announced shortly.

ENGLAND (7)
London Wasps (seeded)
Leicester Tigers
Gloucester Rugby
Bristol Rugby
Saracens
London Irish
NEC Harlequins

FRANCE (6)
ASM Clermont Auvergne or Stade Français Paris *
Stade Français Paris or ASM Clermont Auvergne *
Stade Toulousain
Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque
Union Sportive Arlequin Perpignan
Club Sportif Bourgoin Jailleu

*(French seeded team to be confirmed after the French Championship final being played on Saturday, 10 June)

IRELAND (3)
Leinster (seeded)
Ulster Rugby
Munster

ITALY (2)
Benetton Treviso (seeded)
Viadana

SCOTLAND (2)
Glasgow Warriors (seeded)
Edinburgh

WALES (4)
Ospreys (seeded)
Cardiff Blues
Llanelli Scarlets
Newport Gwent Dragons

Teams that are seeded from each country will be drawn into separate Pools as part of the Pool draw.[/b]

I don't understand why there's 7 teams to england and onl 6 for france.
It seems like england was stronger than franc. I m not sure about that.

I concur, I think there is a mistake somewhere here.

How did Harlequins and Irish get into the HEC?! They didn't win anything!

Wasps get in by default because, duh, they won the bloody thing. Thats a damn sight well stronger than France considering that it was an all English final!

I think maybe its a combined HEC/ECC team list, I'd expect Quins' and Irish to be in the ECC.

Irish and Quins got in the same way as Bristol and Saracens; By doing f*** all.

Being as 6 sides qualify.

Wasps - European Winners
Leicester - Get in as EDF winners rather than GP winners, therefore freeing up an extra English spot for the next X number of teams best placed in the league.

Hooray for the Heineken Cup! I'm glad the English and French pulled their heads out of their asses!

I don't understand why there's 7 teams to england and onl 6 for france.
It seems like england was stronger than franc. I m not sure about that. [/b]

The current comp rules allow for 7 teams from either England or France - depending on which country did better the previous season (based on number of teams reaching semi-finals / final / winners). This year England had 3 teams in the semi-finals to Frances 0, so England got the 7th spot - I think the year before it went to France.

How the teams qualify for the cup is up to the individual Unions, with the rule that the winner of the Euro Cup and Challenge Cup both get into the following years competition.

Quins just snuck into the Euro Cup by virtue of England getting the extra place, and Bath losing the Challenge Cup Final.

No Sale!

The seeding does not really make sence.

Stade Français
Llanelli
Leicester
Munster

Could be a group :huh:

Yer, seems pretty silly to me. But 3 english teams in the semis last time round, so its probably some sort of a sign.

<div class='quotemain'> No Sale!

[/b]

Yeah - they could be worth a couple of quid for Challenge Cup winners if they can keep 15 players fit for a couple of months! [/b][/quote]

They should cruise to the Challenge Cup. Newcastle and Wuss will provide a bit of competition but if they have White, Hodgson and Chabal fit they'll win it IMO.

I hope Stade Francais win H cup!
Or an other french team!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

the stade francais can win but this year i hope biarritz win or an other french team..
Why not a final 100% french

the stade francais can win but this year i hope biarritz win or an other french team..
Why not a final 100% french [/b]

Like most years there are lots of teams that can win it. paris, toulouse, biarritz, Munster, Llanlli, Leicester and Wasps all could. And the winner doesn't neccessarily have to be the best team in Europe. (that's only happened twice: 2001 + 2002 :cheers: )

Why not a final 100% french [/b]

Why not a final 100% not French?

Latest posts