• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The annual Wales A thread

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Every year or so, a Wales A thread pops up during the Six Nations.
I've taken the initiative and done it for this year.

First and foremost, an A side is needed. With focus on the 2015 World Cup, we need to give more players an opportunity to play higher level rugby. There needs to be something beyond the regions/U20's that isn't sevens. Just for fun, here is a potential 23. Certainly players are open to debate, but I have opted more for youth but certainly some experience could be added for stability.

I have gone for youth in the front row, which is certainly a risk. Joe Rees is a left-field selection, but from what I have seen, he has the potential for an international tighthead.

We don't really have any regional 8's that would be ready for this. Hamilton or Thomas are options over the next few years, and perhaps Gilbert or Murphy, but we really don't have one now. There are plenty of blindsides available, and I would add Lewis Evans and Josh Turnbull to the squad. Openside is also a problem, with young Daniel Thomas and Josh Navidi good options in a season or two. I'll also consider Michael Paterson after this season, when he is Welsh qualified. I personally think that McCusker could make a decent eight. Before his injury in 2010 he was being played there, and didn't look bad. Depending on how he comes back from this injury, he could still make it as an eight. If Gareth Delve moves back to the NH, I'll put him in, as he would be a great leader to have in the pack.

Second row is another worry. I have gone for the injured James Down, who I think would have been close to selection before injury. Damien Welch is another option, as are the young Blue SRs.

I personally prefer Gareth Davies over Rhys Webb, (except for blowing it v Saints) and have gone for him. The Scarlets have some other young scrum halves, but they need more regional time. Richie Rees has been left out in the cold and is on his way to France, but I feel could still be a valuable asset for the A side. Jonathan Evans has looked good for the U20's and also needs more club time, but he is one to watch.

I went for Tovey at 10, but would have preferred Shingler (!). He might be gone now, but up until the move, he looked pretty decent. Matthew Morgan will be selected by a few here, but also needs some more gametime.

Prydie, Robinson, and Williams make up my back three, and I think they would have a pretty good balance. You have a big wing in the shape of Prydie, and then a smaller one- Robinson. Williams over Thomas was a tough call, but Williams has been in good form lately and I think Martyn still needs some more time. Dale Ford could be considered when he regains fitness, same with Will Harries.

May well be worth sticking Petorious and Sheppard in there both of whom are good backrowers.

Last edited:
First and foremost, an A side is needed. With focus on the 2015 World Cup, we need to give more players an opportunity to play higher level rugby.
Do you think A internationals are a higher standard than Heineken Cup or Pro 12 games? Ten years ago I would have said yes, possibly even five years ago, but now I think club rugby is a far higher level than A fixtures. I do believe A games still have a place on end of season tours where the second tier of players are exposed to coaching from the national coaches. Mid-season, I'd rather players were rested for a week than get flogged for 80 minutes in a game where the result and performance (which is usually disjointed) are meaningless.

Although Wales A have not played a game since 2002 its looking likely we will be making a comback with a A team sometime soon since August 2011, an agreement was reached between the Welsh Rugby Union and the Wales Rugby Players Association which expressed a desire to bring back the side. Match funding has been assured, meaning that the team is likely to make a return in the future.

Anyway some of the players in Draggs team would not be selected due to being in hte main squad such as Scott Williams and Craig Mitchell but thinking about it they would due to needing game time and international experience along with the younger players, I hope for one we do bring back the A team as its a good step up from the u-20 for players who are just short of the main team.

I cant really pick a team much different to Draggs but would add Matthew Morgan as out side halves and remove Dan Biggar in my opinion Morgan is a better player, as for the no 8 shirt I would give it to Gareth Delve add some experience there cant really think of any number 8's that are making really good progress atm.

Also if he could keep his mouth shut i'd give Tom James a go.

Last edited:
Although Wales A have not played a game since 2002 its looking likely we will be making a comback with a A team sometime soon since August 2011, an agreement was reached between the Welsh Rugby Union and the Wales Rugby Players Association which expressed a desire to bring back the side. Match funding has been assured, meaning that the team is likely to make a return in the future.

Anyway some of the players in Draggs team would not be selected due to being in hte main squad such as Scott Williams and Craig Mitchell but thinking about it they would due to needing game time and international experience along with the younger players, I hope for one we do bring back the A team as its a good step up from the u-20 for players who are just short of the main team.

I cant really pick a team much different to Draggs but would add Matthew Morgan as out side halves and remove Dan Biggar in my opinion Morgan is a better player, as for the no 8 shirt I would give it to Gareth Delve add some experience there cant really think of any number 8's that are making really good progress atm.

Also if he could keep his mouth shut i'd give Tom James a go.

Despite being involved in the main squad, some players would be released to play for the A-side if not involved with the main squad's matchday 22. The two obvious ones in Dragg's team that wouldn't be available are Tipuric and Scott Williams, both of which have been on the bench recently.

I'd be tempted to try Eli Walker in front of Prydie. Blame the Ospreys for not giving Prydie gametime (still). I to would have Matthew Morgan ahead of Dan Biggar, although Tovey starting is probably fair. With one of Scott Williams or Ashley Beck on the bench for the main team, maybe bring in Henson to parter one of them. He brings a bit of experience (although judging by his crazy grubber in his own 22 on Fri night, that might not count for much).

The forwards look pretty good. As I said before, Tips will be involved with the main 22, so bring in Navidi. I think Navidi is a cracking little player, and is unlucky there's two very good players in Warburton and Tipuric ahead of him. Depending on how much gametime he get's at the Blues with Warburton there aswell, I think he'll push Tipuric for the bench spot in a season or so. 8 is a problem, please come home Delve! There's a few potential youngsters, but no-one really ready yet. The obvious one would be Powell if he's not involved with the main 22.

I was more considering this to be for the Nations Cup during the summer, hence the availability of Six Nations player.
I haven't seen much of Sheppeard, only the U20's. Hopefully Cardiff and Ponty can work for the Blues together and he will get his shot once Rush retires.

Latest posts