• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ashes 2010/2011

Wally

Academy Player
The Ashes 2010/11

ponting-420x0.jpg

It begins.

Last edited:
When does the tour starts. Will be a good series as England took it last year.

First test is on the 25th November at the Gabba in Brisbane.

Gonna be epic, and I pick England to retain the Urn and Ponting to bow out of Test Cricket a 3 time Ashes loser.

Going to be a tough series, still reckon Australia will be tough to move on their own patch.

Dunno, Australia are hard to beat on their own soil and they will be extra motivated.

This will be very close, England are playing some good Cricket... but the aussies are always resilient

England have sent their 4 main bowlers off to Brisbane early ... tactics orrrr.....

Well it worked a treat, Chris Tremlett totally disassembled Australia A last night.

there's a lot in the media about player selection and a lot of disgruntled fans. as much as I love cricket and the Australian team, I think England will retain the Ashes... they probably have their best team in a long time, they are in top form and wont take it lying down. Australia on the other hand have blokes who can't lock down their position in the batting line up, injuries, and the bowling attack is in dissaray. mitchell johnson couldn't hit the side of a barn door at the moment, and he's meant to be our main strike bowler... WTF

At the moment it's increasingly looking like England's series to lose.

Funny for a change its not England that has the problems of selection and out of form players to contend with!

Quick question Rob - are the England cricket team well liked in Wales?

Quick question Rob - are the England cricket team well liked in Wales?

I think the biggest annoyance between some is the fact thats its called the England and Wales Cricket Board but yet referred as the ECB, I can honestly say the only time Wales gets passionate about the England cricket side is when there is a Welsh player playing. Which does not happen to often. I know they don't mind supporting them, as Cricket in Wales is to play for Wales in general at the age group levels but work themselves to the ultimate goal of playing for the England youth sides. So people know from an early age that you will be playing for England.

Before Simon Jones got capped for England I remember Mike Powell and Dean Cosker fielding for two days as subs for England and The Western Mail made it into a double page spread :lol: all because they were 12th and 13th man respectively.

However there are some that are not happy with the entire ECB set up. Some claim that the ECB only looks after the major counties financially, yet ill disagree because Cardiff got an Ashes Test and did a pretty good job in hosting it. What is good is that as long as 'God Save The Queen' is not played as the anthem but Jerusalem then its generally accepted. I know there was some grumbling in the last Ashes series because during the Cardiff test, for some off reason the England players had to stand there listening to the Welsh anthem, to me it was to much and should have just been either Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Also another grumbling seen is that for far to long Glamorgan players have often been overlooked by England. Don Shepherd, Matthew Maynard, Colin Metson, Robert Croft, Steve James and Steve Watkins all to name a few, have either not played or not been selected enough. Which many will argue shows complete and utter favouritism towards other counties. I can honestly say that in my time of watching certainly Watkins, Maynard, Steve James and Crofty all played for to little for England. Croft for me was unfortunate, after 9/11 he decided against going to Sri Lanka, as many others did some of whom later toured to NZ after, yet Croft was dropped and subsequently retired from international cricket. Think in the summer of 2004 when they called back Tufnell to play, Croft turned down the chance apparently asking was he going to bowl more than 3 overs this time! Crofty was not a popular man with the Essex's crowd within the England set up also. Famous incident on the tour bus when Hussian and Irani were piping up about how 'crap' Wales was at everything and making sheep jokes at Crofty, Crofty leapt out of his seat and decked the crap out of Irani before being held back from demolishing Hussian. The man that separated them? Darren Gough, who after that incident formed a close bond with Croft. Steve James got selected for England to late on in his career and subsequently could not make up for lost time. Maynard was another unfortunate one, such a stylish one-day batsman in the Neil Fairbrother mould, should of easily had more international appearances for England. But at the end of the day I watch England as much as anyone.

Last edited:
BARMY ARMY!!!!....BARMY ARMY!!!!!!....Get up you Poms...grind them um...guys into the ground.

Starts tonight, I absolutely cannot wait for this. Start the car!

Just starting now.. Strauss won the toss and chose to bat. Go England!!!

i hate being at work when the ashes is on. 56/2 18 overs. Thank god for cricinfo.

though saying that I am recording it and ill probably watch it on my "work from home" day tomorrow ;)

I feel sorry for you bro, game has been awesome so far.

Go England! nothing better than seeing Aussie lose ;) but it's not looking too promising at the moment.

Latest posts