• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Championship playoffs

Would they consider reworking ODP if they get promoted, down the line perhaps?

Not from what I gather at the moment because the land they play on is protected from something and need to convince Boris and co to allow them to build there.

Apparently there's some obscure rule that says that new stadia have to be within 30miles of the old one, and the Oxford stadium is around 50miles away, with Adam's Park the only suitable one within the distance.
Whether or not this is upheld, who know?

Statement on London Welsh website showing that the other possible stadium move is 50 miles away in Oxford, which I guess would make them not quite 'London' Welsh. Well done SKY TV :eek:( who I guess are responsible for sticking it to the supporters again. Good luck any LW away supportesr getting to Penzance for 7:45 next Wednesday evening, and both sets for getting to Oxford the following Wednesday evening. I'm not quite sure the travel offer for loyal supporters would extend to home matches next season in Oxford if you win and that gets chosen over Brentford. I'm sure you'll all be welcome across the Deer Park if you like your home matches a little closer to ...... well home really.

'London Welsh RFC are delighted to announce that the Kassam Stadium, Oxford, will be the venue for the ‘Home’ leg of their Championship Final against Cornish Pirates on May 30th.
Pirates will host the first leg â€" venue to be confirmed - on May 23rd. Both games will be televised on Sky Sports and both will kick-off at 7.45pm.
London Welsh have taken this opportunity to showcase the Kassam Stadium because it is one of the grounds where the club could play next season if they are promoted to the Aviva Premiership.
It is the home of Oxford United F.C. but the stadium was always designed for rugby as well as football. It offers high quality playing and spectator facilities plus excellent floodlighting which was a factor in the club’s decision.
London Welsh will be making special travel arrangements for its loyal band of supporters â€" full details will be announced in due course.'

At the current rate of the Cornish councillors we may never see the pirates reach the Premiership, as the stadium hit a major hurdle today, However it is down the cabinet who make the final call.

It's a shame the councillors who are voting against this aren't actually cornish, they are Londoners who claim they no better than the local community. Killing Cornwall's sporting opportunity and heritage one step at a time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something I've seen raised elsewhere which no one has mentioned - under the RFU rules, clubs aren't allowed to move from one county to another. Which those move would be. Apparently this (and complaints from Plymouth Albion) have stymied a short-term move of the Cornish Pirates before.

GOML, sorry to hear that - pack them back here and I'll find some nice tower blocks for them to do their nimbyism in.

(Although as I can't resist being devil's advocate, maybe the Cornish folk need to learn to vote in no councillors that ain't from there!)

Statement on London Welsh website showing that the other possible stadium move is 50 miles away in Oxford, which I guess would make them not quite 'London' Welsh. Well done SKY TV :eek:( who I guess are responsible for sticking it to the supporters again. Good luck any LW away supportesr getting to Penzance for 7:45 next Wednesday evening, and both sets for getting to Oxford the following Wednesday evening. I'm not quite sure the travel offer for loyal supporters would extend to home matches next season in Oxford if you win and that gets chosen over Brentford. I'm sure you'll all be welcome across the Deer Park if you like your home matches a little closer to ...... well home really.

It is ridiculous, I swear they look who is playing and where they are playing and pick the most stupid day/time for the games. Can't say I'm surprised though, RFU and Sky proving again that they only pretend to give a stuff about this league.

Something I've seen raised elsewhere which no one has mentioned - under the RFU rules, clubs aren't allowed to move from one county to another. Which those move would be. Apparently this (and complaints from Plymouth Albion) have stymied a short-term move of the Cornish Pirates before.

So under this rule LW couldn't move from Greater London to Oxfordshire either?

They couldn't move from... Surrey? Middlesex? to another county, unless already affiliated, or nobody in that county minds. I believe.

Such as the Not Nots going from Greater London to Berkshire.

Or Wasps moving to Buckinghamshire.

Or Northampton moving to Buckinghamshire.

More playoff changes.

Now there won't be a group stage, they will just go straight into the semi finals with just 4 teams and there will be no relegation pool, bottom club is down that's that.

There is still a problem with that system though. The playoffs still exist

To me it would make more sense if the Italian franchises would join the French League. Then the Cornish Pirates and the London Welsh could take their places in the Celtic League where they wouldn't be bothered with this 10.000 capacity stadium nonsense.

That's true... a 2000 capacity stadium would more then cover a typical Purgatory League attendance.

The Irish games do pretty good but it's a fact that the Italy and Scotland games usually draw 2000 a 3000 men to the stadium.

Don't forget the Italians, and the if the Welsh regions didn't have the derby matches then the averages for them would be much lower as well.

More playoff changes.

Now there won't be a group stage, they will just go straight into the semi finals with just 4 teams and there will be no relegation pool, bottom club is down that's that.

There is still a problem with that system though. The playoffs still exist

Not enough... Should be 2 up and 2 down from the league, leave the playoff for 2nd Place...

Latest posts