• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Current State of Scottish Rugby

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
Interesting video from STV News on the current state of Scottish rugby.

Last edited by a moderator:
A summary of what they say?

Intro bit - Scotland were rubbish against England.

Goes to three talking heads (1 & 2 are newspaper journos, 3 is Andy Nicol):

1. They're rubbish. Adding the threat of relegation would give them a kick up the arse.
2. Pffft, Romania aren't amazing. If you think the countries queueing up to join, Georgia, Ukraine or Russia, would add anything you're mistaken.
1. What are Scotland adding? Should be there on merit.
3. But, but France got a wooden spoon! We have history!
Host: Why was it rubbish?
3. Couldn't even get the ball.
Host: Why not?
3. Uhhh, ask the coach. Lineout was rubbish.
2. Lineout.
1. Crap coaching and selections.

Is it players playing outside Scotland ?
3: No.
Crap team or structure?
1. Both. Underperforming but not bad players and structure.
Professionalism?
2. The 2 pro clubs isn't enough, doesn't give enough players to pick from. No pashun.

Intro bit - Scotland were rubbish against England.

Goes to three talking heads (1 & 2 are newspaper journos, 3 is Andy Nicol):

1. They're rubbish. Adding the threat of relegation would give them a kick up the arse.
2. Pffft, Romania aren't amazing. If you think the countries queueing up to join, Georgia, Ukraine or Russia, would add anything you're mistaken.
1. What are Scotland adding? Should be there on merit.
3. But, but France got a wooden spoon! We have history!
Host: Why was it rubbish?
3. Couldn't even get the ball.
Host: Why not?
3. Uhhh, ask the coach. Lineout was rubbish.
2. Lineout.
1. Crap coaching and selections.

Is it players playing outside Scotland ?
3: No.
Crap team or structure?
1. Both. Underperforming but not bad players and structure.
Professionalism?
2. The 2 pro clubs isn't enough, doesn't give enough players to pick from. No pashun.

That does it well

im sorry but i hate it when people think we should be drop from the six nations sorry for the anger but who ever says scotland should be dropped then STFU!

france got the wooden spoon last year i dont hear anyone go on about them atleast we go a win this year italy got the wooded spoon and are doing worse then scotland but why doesn't anyone talk about them being dropped it frustrates me.

we'll be just like ireland last season they did bad they're coach got sacked then the got Joe Schmidt and then they do amazing and with ireland at the last six nations they're best players were lost had to bring in alot off uncapped players. im not saying that scotland are going to win the six nations next year but we did badly this season our coach is gone and we get Vern Cotter and im assuming will go a good job and our best players will be back so yeah STFU!

sorry for my bad language im just fed up of hearing crab about scotland when you know they can do alot better we just have a bad coach, a bad 10 and our key players are injured next year is different i hope

Rugby in Scotland is nearly extinct. Some folk are fooled by seeing a team run out to a packed Murrayfield twice (or three times) every six nations and think they are a Rugby nation. The game is dying fast. Let's deal with facts; the pool of players to choose from has dwindled, club games are played to very sparse crowds, Lions teams this century have virtually zero Scottish representation... they haven't had a quality player since Gavin Hastings.

The average Jock couldn't name a player.

Rugby in Scotland is nearly extinct. Some folk are fooled by seeing a team run out to a packed Murrayfield twice (or three times) every six nations and think they are a Rugby nation. The game is dying fast. Let's deal with facts; the pool of players to choose from has dwindled, club games are played to very sparse crowds, Lions teams this century have virtually zero Scottish representation... they haven't had a quality player since Gavin Hastings.

um well chris paterson did u forget about him was one off the best kickers in rugby one point and also stuart hogg can be someone special lets be honest there are still alot off schools in scotland who play rugby. its not dead yet there is hope

im sorry but i hate it when people think we should be drop from the six nations sorry for the anger but who ever says scotland should be dropped then STFU!

france got the wooden spoon last year i dont hear anyone go on about them atleast we go a win this year italy got the wooded spoon and are doing worse then scotland but why doesn't anyone talk about them being dropped it frustrates me.

we'll be just like ireland last season they did bad they're coach got sacked then the got Joe Schmidt and then they do amazing and with ireland at the last six nations they're best players were lost had to bring in alot off uncapped players. im not saying that scotland are going to win the six nations next year but we did badly this season our coach is gone and we get Vern Cotter and im assuming will go a good job and our best players will be back so yeah STFU!

sorry for my bad language im just fed up of hearing crab about scotland when you know they can do alot better we just have a bad coach, a bad 10 and our key players are injured next year is different i hope

Exactly ... If you are going to drop a side solely for it's poor performance, you have to use the same yard stick to measure all sides, so, therefore, Italy would have to be dropped also, and you could make a case for France as well, based on them finishing last, last year ... anyway, if the likelihood of winning was the only criteria, then no one would play each other.

... but the IRB mantra is expanding the game, isn't it ... and that doesn't just mean expanding it into non-traditional markets, or helping the second and third tier markets. It's also about helping sides with a proud rugby history, such as Scotland, back to a competitive status

um well chris paterson did u forget about him was one off the best kickers in rugby one point and also stuart hogg can be someone special lets be honest there are still alot off schools in scotland who play rugby. its not dead yet there is hope

Chris was a very good kicker so perhaps I shouldn't have overlooked him. Still, you are having to scrape around to find the odd decent player...not a good sign.

I'm Irish but have Scottish heritage on my dads side and love the jocks (Bill Shankly is a god to me), so I'd like nothing more than to see a competitive Scotland (in football as well btw). To me, it seems that the fall in outdoor sports participation in Scotland is the root cause of the problem.

Chris was a very good kicker so perhaps I shouldn't have overlooked him. Still, you are having to scrape around to find the odd decent player...not a good sign.

I'm Irish but have Scottish heritage on my dads side and love the jocks (Bill Shankly is a god to me), so I'd like nothing more than to see a competitive Scotland (in football as well btw). To me, it seems that the fall in outdoor sports participation in Scotland is the root cause of the problem.
yeah i suppose thats true lol, but i still think that you shouldn't underrate scotland they can do better im sure off it but just now it may seem unlikely but i can still the the hope for scottish rugby as i've recently been told about Gavin Hastings son called andy who play rugby for Merchiston a school in edinburgh and my mate said good things about him to be a future scottish 10 much better than weir. yes the under 20 may be a joke but im not too worried about that

Not quite sure where the guy got Ukraine from as an up and coming rugby force, but I do think both Georgia and Romania deserve a shot at playing at the top table . Perhaps the thing to do would be to promote the second tier more(6 nations B) I.e. show the highlights of the games during the 6 nations coverage....the IRB could even televise all the matches on their site. This would help to increase awareness of the second tier and maybe increase revenue making any relegation to a second tier less of a hit?

Latest posts