• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The decline of Australian rugby. Is there a way out?

If Italy had converted the try Australia would be 10th in the world rankings.

For me the big problem is that this is symptomatic across the globe. Rugby is a minority sport and is definitely not secure financially.

England, Wales and Australia are all struggling financially and the sport is losing popularity. Scotland are pretty much reliant on foreign imports. The URC needed South Africa to join to keep it going. South Africa actually exports many of its players (though this is possibly reversing now). Ireland have a good setup, but based entirely around Leinster and their success. France have a successful model, but haven't won anything from it. It's really only NZ where the sport is no.1 and probably holds a good position, even if NZ aren't as strong at the moment.

I honestly fear for the game globally over the next two decades, especially in Eng, Aus and Wales.

NZ is only financially secure because of the silverlake deal, the actual crowds aren't generating money and the TV deals are getting worse because we cant come up with a competition broadcasters can sell...two half arsed ones

we're literally trying to make trickle down economics work, ABs are the only thing making money and everyone else gets handout from that kitty....circling the drain

For me the big problem is that this is symptomatic across the globe. Rugby is a minority sport and is definitely not secure financially.

England, Wales and Australia are all struggling financially and the sport is losing popularity. Scotland are pretty much reliant on foreign imports. The URC needed South Africa to join to keep it going. South Africa actually exports many of its players (though this is possibly reversing now). Ireland have a good setup, but based entirely around Leinster and their success. France have a successful model, but haven't won anything from it. It's really only NZ where the sport is no.1 and probably holds a good position, even if NZ aren't as strong at the moment.

I honestly fear for the game globally over the next two decades, especially in Eng, Aus and Wales.

Watching the URC this weekend the Bulls sold out a 50K stadium so I think Rugby in South Africa is reasonably popular

Watching the URC this weekend the Bulls sold out a 50K stadium so I think Rugby in South Africa is reasonably popular
winning the world cup doesnt hurt, crowds in aussie were good in the early 2000's too

Yeah and there are some strong areas. But globally as a whole it does feel that rugby has declined in popularity.

That is positive, but also misleading. I imagine every sport is bouncing back from pandemic levels considering most countries had lockdowns. A better comparison would be pre-pandemic levels or numbers at the same time as the previous world cup.

That is positive, but also misleading. I imagine every sport is bouncing back from pandemic levels considering most countries had lockdowns. A better comparison would be pre-pandemic levels or numbers at the same time as the previous world cup.
Absolutely, everything from spectator sports to participation sport went up after the lockdowns eased up. My local fishing club had a waiting list for seasonal permits for the first time in it's 100 odd year history.

Trouble is - those Pre-pandemic figures don't, and can't exist, as the definition of "participation" was changed for the start of this cycle (eg. the RFU's figures approximately halved, as they weeded out things like a student representing their university, their local uni club and their home club as being 3 participants).

The report also fully acknowledges that this is bouncing back from the pandemic, rather than showing growth over a longer period of time.

Trouble is - those Pre-pandemic figures don't, and can't exist, as the definition of "participation" was changed for the start of this cycle (eg. the RFU's figures approximately halved, as they weeded out things like a student representing their university, their local uni club and their home club as being 3 participants).

The report also fully acknowledges that this is bouncing back from the pandemic, rather than showing growth over a longer period of time.
Fair enough they may acknowledge the figures aren't perfect. It doesn't change the fact that especially financially rugby is in a very poor state and could well get worse over the next few years.

Absolutely, everything from spectator sports to participation sport went up after the lockdowns eased up. My local fishing club had a waiting list for seasonal permits for the first time in it's 100 odd year history.
Imagine waiting for a permit for what is essentially waiting.

not strictly about Aussie rugby but may have some ramifications. Some strong indications the NZ provincial rugby Unions are going to try and re-establish they're importance on NZ rugby scene, too long just feeding on the scaps NZR passed on

There is still a lot of nostalgic passion for the NPC and if they were to say "**** it" and instigate a full 10-14 team home and away round robin i still think they could regain a decent level of support....which would be bad for super rugby as it is now and therefore aussie rugby

profession aussie rugby needed to re engage with its club scene ASAP to save itself, currently teams like the rebels are this weird stand alone organisation separate from rugby in Melbourne

not strictly about Aussie rugby but may have some ramifications. Some strong indications the NZ provincial rugby Unions are going to try and re-establish they're importance on NZ rugby scene, too long just feeding on the scaps NZR passed on

There is still a lot of nostalgic passion for the NPC and if they were to say "**** it" and instigate a full 10-14 team home and away round robin i still think they could regain a decent level of support....which would be bad for super rugby as it is now and therefore aussie rugby

profession aussie rugby needed to re engage with its club scene ASAP to save itself, currently teams like the rebels are this weird stand alone organisation separate from rugby in Melbourne

Australian Rugby Union needs a strong Professional League below Super Rugby. A bit like the NPC in New Zealand and the Currie Cup in South Africa.

Even Argentina has the Top 13, although I am not sure that is professional.

I think that would really help, but not sure how feasible it is.

NPC is semi pro, most/lost of players have jobs, i think professional issue, amature or semi pro like the NPC, maybe even starting with a champions league type comp for the winners of metro club comps would be a start

We've always struggled with lack of depth, we simply don't have the players. In the 90s we did OK as it was the amatuer era, but have struggled to deal with the professional era, lack of players and lack of $$. The early 2000s we recruited some of the best players in NRL, at one point almost all the back line were ex NRL players, Walker, Tuiqui, Rogers, Sailor, Barnes, once they went we really hit the doldrums and never left. We do have quality players coming through, but a lot get poached by League. Check out (if you can be bothered) the NRL GF highlights, Ezra Mam scores a hatrick. He's a 20 year old that was a union player, he would have been awesome in union. NRL scouts target a lot of the private schools, spot the talent and offer them decent contracts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Ezra Mam is worth close to $4 million, a significant amount more than his union counterparts. The other issues are kids leaving union in their droves. They're still playing contact sport, but AFL and league seem to be on the rise, compared to union. Super rugby needs a restructure too. 5 teams ranging from mediocre to really mediocre, we don't have the players for 3 teams, let alone 5. The Force recruited a 10 who was playing 2nd division rugby in bum fack Idaho, whilst the Crusaders have All Blacks with 20 caps to their name sitting on the bench. No-one is going to watch the games, maybe 4000 for a game vs 40'000 for NRL and 80'000 for an AFL game. So success at Super level is important. Go back to 2 teams. I still think we'd struggle to be honest, but it's a start. And we need money. Lots of it. Also think we should be able to recruit international players, I think each club is limited to one international player? Make it 5.

Latest posts