• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 'Ed Fairhurst' Thread

In all seriousness, this search for a replacement demonstrates the fact that you guys didn't truly understand the worship of his Edness. Sorry, but the truth hurts.

You don't simply choose a rugby player to take the throne of demi-godness. One must stand out head and shoulders above all others in both word and deed. It's not up for us to choose. We'll know when the next player worthy of of our unwavering devotion comes along, but until that time we must be patient and not try to worship false profits and pretenders.

In all seriousness, this search for a replacement demonstrates the fact that you guys didn't truly understand the worship of his Edness. Sorry, but the truth hurts.

You don't simply choose a rugby player to take the throne of demi-godness. One must stand out head and shoulders above all others in both word and deed. It's not up for us to choose. We'll know when the next player worthy of of our unwavering devotion comes along, but until that time we must be patient and not try to worship false profits and pretenders.

Agreed.

I am looking for other members of the Ed XV.
No one will ever replace Ed.

The well known Welsh rugby blogger and long time Cardiff fan, PhilBB, named Fairhurst in his worst XV of the Blues era, alongside notable Blues duds like Campese Ma'afu and Marc Breeze

Van Vuuren, Nuthall, Tuilagi, Tristan Davies, Luveitasau, Flanagan, Fairhurst
Brown, Appleyard, Thomas, Sidoli, Moore, Evans, Breeze, Ma'afu

Tom Davies, Kyriacou, Fourie, Reed, White, WfvEvans, Sweeney, Selley

Have heard from other Cardiff fans over the years that he really didn't get too much game time being stuck lower in the depth chart, played allright when called upon but nothing special than had much more success when he moved onto the Cornish Pirates. I notice a lot of overseas players in his "worst XV" though which I think is revealing.

You all need to reafirm your belief and worship of this great man....be in awe of his excepetionalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I was at that game! I actually remember that happening!

It was a great game that day at York don't miss the unlicenced stands though. If Duke hadn't have had a major brainfart in the first half that led to a Welsh try Canada might actually have been able to pinch a victory.

Don't forget we had two tries called back which could have gone either way.

Don't forget we had two tries called back which could have gone either way.

Yeah one was especially close, I remember coming back and watching my tape and one was probably 60-40 a try. The other one was probably the right call bringing it back, I think I saw the full game up on youtube a while back not sure if it's still there.

That was a weird game if I remember right, ref annoyed me in particular, seemed very inconsistent.
From what I remember, one of those disallowed tries was because Wales kicked through while having a penalty advantage and it bounced off a Canadian player straight into Andrew Bishop's hands to put him through. but the ref called it back for the penalty, because it touched the Canadian? I might be wrong, but remember being rather annoyed by something like that.

EDIT: Just had a skim through of the match on youtube, remember now why the ref annoyed me. Loved to slow the game down to go have a chat with the captains/penalised players, but then was too lenient with dishing out the cards. Canadians definitely very lucky not to get more than the one yellow card!
Forgot how good those two Canadian tries were too, lovely skills with ball in hand.
Also I was indeed correct, ref blew up far far too early to go back to the penalty and denied Wales a try.

The Wales squad is a funny one looking back, a mixture of the stars of today when they were younger, a few squad players from past and present, a few old heads, and the odd player who makes you think "Wow, he actually played for Wales?!". Think this was the only time I thought Tom James played half decent in a Welsh shirt.

Last edited:
It was a pretty solid Canadian lineup for 2009, missing Cudmore at Lock(as usual) was a blow. Tieddemann was also way too young to be starting and had a pretty bad game when your subbed off for Pletch its never a good day at the office.

Interesting to see Spicer in the lineup, I remember him being touted as one of the next big things in Canadian rugby but never got anywhere close to his potential. Luke Tait faded after 2010 to, not surprosed to see a yellow beside his name he was always undisciplined in the Canadian colours.

It was a pretty solid Canadian lineup for 2009, missing Cudmore at Lock(as usual) was a blow. Tieddemann was also way too young to be starting and had a pretty bad game when your subbed off for Pletch its never a good day at the office.

Interesting to see Spicer in the lineup, I remember him being touted as one of the next big things in Canadian rugby but never got anywhere close to his potential. Luke Tait faded after 2010 to, not surprosed to see a yellow beside his name he was always undisciplined in the Canadian colours.

True about Tait.At the time I thought that yellow was for repeated offences (bloody plenty of them!) but he came into a ruck dangerously with the shoulder. Didn't know he was former Wales u20's too.

I remember my grandad commentated on that game down the phone to me and my dad whilst we were waiting in the departures lounge in Malaga Airport. We missed one of Canada's tries because he was instead talking us through a game of golf he played that morning.

Latest posts