• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The English Rugby Stadium/Attendance thread

^ pretty much. I think the CEO should wait until the fat lady looks like singing.
Even with the crowd its worth remembering how many they gave away free to random kids on the condition that they waived a little yellow flag all game.

I think that was 3k per game, for the first 4 games, though that turns into 6k+ when you consider the accompanying parent(s)/friend(s), so still a large number of sales.

I don't think anyone should be too down on it. I think we all know it's inflated due to the novelty and Wasps have managed that for the Twickenham games.

I wish them well and hope it works out for them. In the end the head has to rule the heart and this could be a good move for Wasps

Plans (Pics below) have been put to the council to approve for Tigers development of the clubhouse end, Council sound 100% for it so should be quick.

Currently the temporary stands hold 992 supporters with 28 seats for disabled fans and their assistants.

The club hopes to increase that to 3,100 with 62 disabled seats.

Tigers’ chief executive Simon Cohen said the extra seating would take the stadium’s capacity up to 26,000.

Mr Cohen said: “That actually presents us with a once-in-a-generation opportunity.

“The world cup gives us an extended period of five months to do the build. There will be games at Welford Road in September but not Premiership matches.â€

Mr Cohen said the club was currently looking for a contractor to carry out the scheme.

He said: “One of the things we will want to talk about is getting this done with as little disruption as possible to the people who use Aylestone Road.

“One of the advantages we have is the land at the back of the Holland and Barrett Stand.

“We can use that to build from the end rather than the side.â€

Mr Cohen said the club still hoped to develop and modernise the rest of the ground.

He said: “We don’t have a benefactor to pour money into the club so we have to do projects as and when we can afford them.

“We have a good relationship with our bankers and we have to look at careful and prudent borrowing.â€

Mr Cohen said the club was still interested in acquiring the former Granby Halls site to the north of the ground, which is owned by Leicester City council and is being operated as a car park.

He added: “We do want it but we are dependent on the council selling it to us.â€

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “I can confirm we have had some very useful discussions with Tigers about their plans.

â€Granby Halls was one of the things we have talked about.

“I am keen to find a way to help them achieve their ambitions both on and off the pitch.

“I am delighted they are going ahead with their stand redevelopment.

“The large stand they recently built has become an iconic part of the city skyline.â€

An overall redevelopment of the ground has been approved by the council - potentially including a hotel and a multi-storey car park - but each phase needs specific approval.

The project is being considered by planning officers.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...tory-25819129-detail/story.html#ixzz3OAjdcqgb
Follow us: @leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

ImageSrc.aspx

ImageSrc.aspx

9291689-large.jpg

It's great to have a council who fully supports us!

Last edited by a moderator:
26k.... I wish Quins pulled a crowd that large...

Where's our council? :(

The aim is in-between 28 and 30K with multi story car park and hotel I believe when finally all done.

Will that make Welford the biggest purpose built rugby stadium in Europe ? Only Thomond Park comes close otherwise I think ?

Racing Metro are building a big ass stadium by 2016/17. Will be 32k.

Heard on the news earlier that Gateshead Thunder (rugby league) have renamed themselves as Newcastle Thunder and will be groundsharing at Kingston Park next season.
With the 4G this won't be an issue on wear and tear - it's a shame that the Falcons don't own the stadium as it'd be a nice little earner.

Ruxr4Uh.jpg

http://www.leicestertigers.com/club/stadium/stand-redevelopment/22174.php#.VPL_5nY9rIp

The new stand will replace the century-old clubhouse and other buildings at that end of the stadium as well as the temporary seating area and will take stadium capacity up from 24,000 to just over 26,000.

Construction is scheduled to begin in May after the last home game of the regular season (against Northampton Saints on Saturday, May 16) and the stand will be in operation for the 2015/16 season.

Good development.

I agree @ratsapprentice...is there any reason logistically why it slopes downward on the right as surely a straight line would allow for more seats at little extra cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - the plot the stadium is built on is triangular.
So the right hand of the stand (in that picture) is actually limited by how far back it can go, not how high it can go.

As you can see on the left, here:
LeicesterStadium-ba10765.jpg

I imagine it's a light issue - blocking sunlight from houses behind or something.

The Aviva in Dublin had to do something similar.

Edit: Or maybe I was wrong :D

Also the turf is going to be re done. No surprise there.

And there is a possibility that the pitch dimension might be changed.

Latest posts