Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.42.40.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.43.22.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.43.47.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.44.02.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.44.34.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.44.51.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.45.08.png

Screenshot%202015-12-15%2014.45.20.png

There are a couple of guys who've played in different positions, where I've just amalgamated their stats into one positional group - e.g. Watson and Itoje.

(Which actually makes Watson's metres run stats even more notable - as he was on the wing for 2 or three games).

Last edited:
Cipriani with the best tackle completion rate :lol:
Tommy Taylor making 49 and missing zero is mental, as well. They mentioned it in passing on last week that he's yet to miss a tackle this season, it's crazy.

Why is Teimana Harrison on the list? Isn't he a kiwi?

Cipriani with the best tackle completion rate :lol:
Tommy Taylor making 49 and missing zero is mental, as well. They mentioned it in passing on last week that he's yet to miss a tackle this season, it's crazy.

Why is Teimana Harrison on the list? Isn't he a kiwi?

Rats loves him.

Been here 4 years, English dad.
Legit move - motivated by getting away from NZ for personal reasons, not getting capped elsewhere.

Not suggesting he gets picked now, mind... just there for my own interest.
I think he's going to be really good in time.

Interesting to see how pathetic Farrell is at General rugby and isn't that much better compared to the others at tackling.

Dalys defence doesn't look that bad either, I'll get on board the Daly for 12 hype !

Interesting to see how pathetic Farrell is at General rugby and isn't that much better compared to the others at tackling.

Dalys defence doesn't look that bad either, I'll get on board the Daly for 12 hype !

Isn't this the trouble with looking at stats in isolation (i.e. without watching the players too)? There's a big difference between a tackle where a player gets knocked backwards and just about manages to trip up his opponent and one where the tackler wraps his opponent up preventing the offload and stops them dead or drives them backwards, but they're both represented as the same "+1" in the tackles made column. I'm not saying that stats are useless / meaningless, just that you need to be careful what you read into them, particularly when they're over a small sample size.

Isn't this the trouble with looking at stats in isolation (i.e. without watching the players too)? There's a big difference between a tackle where a player gets knocked backwards and just about manages to trip up his opponent and one where the tackler wraps his opponent up preventing the offload and stops them dead or drives them backwards, but they're both represented as the same "+1" in the tackles made column. I'm not saying that stats are useless / meaningless, just that you need to be careful what you read into them, particularly when they're over a small sample size.
Agreed but his carries, meters & passes all make for terrible reading.

I'd love to see something along the lines of a clean break assist, or something, for 10s.
Passing down the line/to static runners vs putting people through gaps.

We have this every time - more often than not, the people who do not understand how to interpret stats correctly, generally don't understand how to analyse anything correctly/objectively.

So I tend to not worry about it and just put them out there, knowing 50% of people are going to use them inappropriately.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see something along the lines of a clean break assist, or something, for 10s.
Passing down the line/to static runners vs putting people through gaps.

That would be easy - just look at how many clean breaks the people who play with the 10 make.

Interesting stats....

Henry Thomas is a bit of a surprise. LCD looking good too.

Itoje and Fraser have the best by far TO stats.

Binny looks immense.

I would pick Nowell, Brown and Watson for the England side and they look the best stats wise also.

When it comes to stats Farrell always comes off poorly....but then when I watch him play his not anything special.

Stats always show us one thing, Farrell had poor basic skills, I doubt he could complete a 2 on 1 if his life depended on it!

Worth pointing out how Ford and Cipriani also seem to lose possession more often than Farrell. Carrying the ball so close to the breakdown risks meeting flankers/centres on your way. I'd also be curious on a stat regarding meters won in the kicking game. The meters made column above for fly-halves will be a drop in a bucket compared to what they make in the kicking game. Same for fullbacks.

Also, I am 99.9% certain Kvesic has made more than 4 turnovers this season. Remind me again, what is it that isn't counted in turnovers won? I think if you win a penalty from jackaling, then that doesn't get counted (for a bizarre reason I cannot understand).

These stats give some perspective of how Goode's "flash feet" actually don't seem to beat defenders.

May's defensive record is pretty damn good for someone so slight. And I'm surprised he's made so many meters given the service he receives at Glos.

Also, I am 99.9% certain Kvesic has made more than 4 turnovers this season. Remind me again, what is it that isn't counted in turnovers won? I think if you win a penalty from jackaling, then that doesn't get counted (for a bizarre reason I cannot understand).

The penalty is given because someone has prevented you (illegally) from taking possession of the ball - if there is a penalty for not releasing then there has therefore necessarily not been a turnover won.

It makes perfect sense.

The penalty is given because someone has prevented you (illegally) from taking possession of the ball - if there is a penalty for not releasing then there has therefore necessarily not been a turnover won.

It makes perfect sense.

Arguably as well, turnovers lost may not be a sign of a fault of the player but the fact their support isn't there in time.

It makes perfect sense.
Sorry, I mean I am not sure why penalties won isn't something that is put out in these statistics. Even if there is a technical difference* between a "turnover" and a "penalty", a stat on the number of penalties and turnovers won via jackaling would be a lot more interesting than clean turnovers alone. You don't get a sense of how prolific a jackal is without knowing the number of penalties they win in the breakdown.

It would also be interesting to know who is winning penalties in the scrums.

(But even technically, I don't see how winning a penalty isn't a type of turnover; you were without possession, and after winning the penalty, you are with possession.)

You can't win a penalty.

I don't disagree with your fundamental point that it would be nice to know how many penalties a player forces through jackaling, but the fact is that you don't win penalties.

You can't win a penalty.

I don't disagree with your fundamental point that it would be nice to know how many penalties a player forces through jackaling, but the fact is that you don't win penalties.
Winning a penalty is fairly common parlance that most rugby fans understand and use and it's fairly pedantic to draw a distinction between "forcing" and "winning" a penalty... but I'll bite. Even technically speaking, I'm not sure how you can't win a penalty:

Win: acquire or secure as a result of a contest, conflict, bet, or other endeavour.

Last edited:

Latest posts