TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Considering moving remaining games to Cardiff, Dublin, London and Paris, due to the Rona

I've heard talk it could be in SA as well. For my money, it should be any place where there might be a crowd of some sorts. I'm tired of the canned crowd tracks. If that is NZ, Aus, SA, Europe, Argentina or wherever, if the logistics can work and we see some rugby, great. If there can be some sort of crowd- gravy!

Yeah just put them in all the Six Nations stadiums; full crowds for sure. Win win for everybody

Read this morning that this likely won't happen, now

NZ have cancelled their games in Australia, and if they were to be rescheduled in Europe, with the way quarantines are and TRC rolling into the Autumn Internationals etc., they'd be living in a hotel room for over 3 months (Nov 23rd would be the return date)

I imagine NZ will pull out of the Autumn Internationals as well, tbh

Well if NZ and Aus have pulled out of the rugby league World Cup and that got postponed then suppose neither will be attending the Autumn series either.

My strong preference is for the games to be played with fans in the NH.
A distant second is in South Africa with empty stands.
Anything is better than cancellation.

Problem with Europe is South Africa is a red country. I imagine South Africa and Argentina would need to do a 10 day quarantine in a half way country/place (Jersey?) before then can enter the Country. This applies for the Winter Tests but there is more time.

They therefore need to make a decision on NH this week otherwise it is likely to have to be South Africa as there is a tight test window.

what reason have the Kiwis given not playing? It looks like Perth Covid cases are pretty low and I don't know why all of a sudden they'd think that Perth couldn't offer a covid-safe playing facility and hospitality.

what reason have the Kiwis given not playing? It looks like Perth Covid cases are pretty low and I don't know why all of a sudden they'd think that Perth couldn't offer a covid-safe playing facility and hospitality.

Because NZRU have consulted the NZ Govt whose policy is still zero covid atm. And presumably they don't want players and coaching staff going over to Perth to spread it or bring it back. Only 72 cases in NZ but as we have seen how quickly Delta spreads, there are more important things than a rugby match.

Because NZRU have consulted the NZ Govt whose policy is still zero covid atm. And presumably they don't want players and coaching staff going over to Perth to spread it or bring it back. Only 72 cases in NZ but as we have seen how quickly Delta spreads, there are more important things than a rugby match.
100%. I'm not too fussed on missing out on the match I'm just perplexed on how all of a sudden we can't do covid secure rugby matches. It's not like the all blacks would be interacting with the general public.

Nick Mallett makes his thoughts clear

"So let's get New Zealand over here, they're the best at running the ball. We're the best at tackling people who run the ball and turning them over.

"We've got a far better set-piece than them, we've got a better maul than them, we've got a better kicking game than them. It's a clash of two different styles of play."

Touching on New Zealand's decision to cancel their Test matches against South Africa and Australia, Mallett was clear that the All Blacks needed to show some character and honour their commitments to the competition.

"I really hope we have the Rugby Championship in South Africa starting on the 11th of September. We need to play New Zealand and Australia.

"I can't use the word on TV, but the All Blacks need to show the 'strength of personality' to come over here and play the 100th Test in South Africa. 'Cojones' – that's the word in Argentina!"

100%. I'm not too fussed on missing out on the match I'm just perplexed on how all of a sudden we can't do covid secure rugby matches. It's not like the all blacks would be interacting with the general public.
They are still members of their public and their double vaxx rate is still under 1 million.

Strong words from Mallett. If player safety is in doubt that decides it IMO. Cheap words are just that. I was irritated at the jibes coming SA's way when it was us that weren't in a position to compete specifically because I felt it was unfair. I'm not going to throw it back the other way. Those who do are acting childish. Much as I would love the RC to be played in its entirety in one shape or the other.

Last edited:
Its strong words from Mallet indeed. I tend to agree with him, but people should not get ahead of themselves. Let's play NZ and see how it goes. Depending on how it goes we can start making some assumptions regarding firstly the SA vs NZ No1 debate, as well as the recent debate about our "Boring" playstyle, as opposed to the NZ one which is supposedly the Answer to the survival of Rugby.

I have a few observations about the whole saga.
1. The SA fans jumping on this ridiculous bandwagon are the clear fairweather fans who burn their jerseys the first time we lose.
2. This playstyle debate is nonsense. People saying our style of rugby is boring is A: jealous and B: does not understand tactical rugby.
3. NZ media has been very critical of SA, this will butter the toast of their fans. But it does either reek of complacency or they don't know what's coming. I am convinced that New Zealanders are writing off the Springboks because they won the last game at the World Cup between the two countries, you are only as good as your last game and what good is a world cup if we (NZ) beat you (SA) in our last game, according to the NZ mindset.

On this fallacy of a perceived "boring" style of rugby. What is it that constitutes exciting rugby that is different from What SA is doing currently? Is NZ doing this?

This is how I see our style of Rugby.
Any game of rugby is ultimately to do what you can to beat the opposition. The idea is to play our ball in hand rugby when we are in the opposition half. If we are in our half then use the kicking aspect of rugby to gain a tactical advantage, don't run it from your half because it represents a bigger statistical risk against the top tier of team, as their defence will force errors in your half. So rather Make them play with the ball in their half than you can make them force errors in their own half. If you can have the best rush defence to supplement this, it works out well, but even without it makes sense.

If the opposition team is proficient with the ball in hand, they might penetrate the defence, such as what one might believe the All Blacks represent. Therefore, kicking to them is also a big risk. In such a case you need to make sure that when you go the kicking out of our own half route that we have the defence to back this up. Once we are in the opposition half our potent back will give any team in the world a good run. Great teams will not allow us many opportunities in their half therefore the perception that we play Boring Rugby is to a large degree forced upon by the other teams.

Against a minnow nation, we will mostly be in their half and will mostly as a result play aggressive attacking rugby. The conservatism is a direct result from the threat the top opposition poses. If we choose to engage them in such a game we need to make sure we can be better than them at it if they try and do the same thing. The forward dominance aspect comes into play here... Which team dictates?

I think this is a bit off topic from the thread but I think it's absolutely fair to criticize the boks as playing boring rugby. The criticism shouldn't be aimed at the springboks but rather at the people who shape the game. With the currents laws and how they are enforced, a "boring" tactical style is the one that gives you the best probability of winning. I don't think that it's the springboks fault, they are just the ones taking advantage of it.

So Brisbane it is. I'm just glad its going ahead TBH. Just a weird location to be holding the 100th SA v NZ match but in these circumstances I'll tak eit!

Excited to play against Aus and NZ both and its more to do with the scarcity of these matches than anything else. Think there is an argument to be made that we should play each other only every 2nd year or add more teams to the RC (Japan and Fiji) and play each other only once. Argentina has added a lot of spice over the years. I mean in 2019 we faced NZ twice, then in the RWC pools and it was one match away from facing them in the final which would've been our 4th tie for the year which is just ludicrous.

Less of these games would also give the opportunity for more matches against the likes of say Georgia, Uruguay, USA or whoever might conceivably benefit the most off more exposure to tier 1 teams.

Last edited:
So Brisbane it is. I'm just glad its going ahead TBH. Just a weird location to be holding the 100th SA v NZ match but in these circumstances I'll tak eit!

Excited to play against Aus and NZ both and its more to do with the scarcity of these matches than anything else. Think there is an argument to be made that we should play each other only every 2nd year or add more teams to the RC (Japan and Fiji) and play each other only once. Argentina has added a lot of spice over the years. I mean in 2019 we faced NZ twice, then in the RWC pools and it was one match away from facing them in the final which would've been our 4th tie for the year which is just ludicrous.

Less of these games would also give the opportunity for more matches against the likes of say Georgia, Uruguay, USA or whoever might conceivably benefit the most off more exposure to tier 1 teams.
Definitely something to be said for it alright. I feel like the build up to this year's 6n was subdued because we'd played the Nation's cup in the autumn. Once a year is ideal for a rivalry and I think it'd get more people outside the Sanzaar nations interested.

Latest posts