• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Final!

I feel SA are under pressure for this one. England's defense has not been broken since 2 weekends ago. They have held strong, and have played clever rugby. South Africa's defense shouldn't have been broken for the last 2 weekends, yet they have let in sloppy tries (they were awful against Fiji the second half) and have also shown against Tonga, USA and Argentina that while their defense is good, it can be broken and they tend to be a bit shocked when it happens, meaning the other team can try and turn the screw.

South Africa will start as favourites, which may work in England's favour.

I have no idea of the score, but England by 4, no points scored in the last 10 minutes. [/b]

The Boks may be starting as favorites but the Poms have everything to lose as they are still the holders of the WC. SA'a defense have been sloppy at times but only because they let themselves down and went to sleep. I think however they have one of the best defences in the world. I don't think Englands defense is that solid because they haven't really been tested, Oz didn't really put them under pressure because they had bad ball from the set pieces and the French kicked all their possesion away. Also the English really look incapable of scoring tries, nothing happens past number 10. But anything can happen in a final!

here's the score guys:

22 - 10 for south africa. we are going to start off with a quick break away try by os :lol: . percy's boot isnt going to be in yet so he will miss the first conversion.

then johnny will get a drop goal followed by a quick try by robinson.

-----half time-----

the second half is going to be bone crushing rugby. two drop goals by SA, a try by habana (missed conversion), and then two penalty kicks by percy, making up for his shitty kicking through the game.

I think there will be no more tha 2 tries. England haven't been scoring lots or letting them in. SA have mostly been scoring off mistakes or turnovers, and i don't think those opportunities will be many in the final. SA will keep England pinned back and squeeze on the pressure, try and build a lead, capitilising on any opportunities that come there way. England will try and hang on, take points when they can on rare visits to the SA half. Lots of kicking from both sides. SA to be 3-6 points ahead with 10 left on the clock. Hipkiss to break the line late in the game, but will England finish it off if he does?

here's the score guys:

22 - 10 for south africa. we are going to start off with a quick break away try by os :lol: . percy's boot isnt going to be in yet so he will miss the first conversion.

-----half time-----

the second half is going to be bone crushing rugby. two drop goals by SA, a try by habana (missed conversion), and then two penalty kicks by percy, making up for his shitty kicking through the game.
AllBlackBra.jpg

[/b]

erm mate....you know this all blacks brasserie. Where is it located? I would like to have my dinner there. The waitress uniforms look ACE

So Brian Ashton says he's going to make a few changes for tomorrow's match! Does anyone reckon this is just mind games or is he actually going to do it and risk a repeat of the 1991 final?

According to skysports 2 tickets for the final just sold for £25,000! jesus! :wacko:

Right guys- I`ve consulted with relatives long dead, gazed into my crystal ball and in my best Nostradamus-like voice will speak forth the future:

In order to counter the threat from Jonny`s drop goals, on defense, Butch James will shift positions with... Brian Habana!

Jonny will have a drop on the 10min mark, only for Habana to charge it down and score under the sticks from the resultant rebound.

As England realise that they`ll need to shift it wide, a pass over the top to Sackey, will result in Butch intercepting it on the halfway mark. In the clear, with nobody to beat, Butchie sprints away- only to be caught on the cover defense by......Vickery, showing that Butchie`s lost a yard of pace. England to clear the danger.

As the game progresses, both teams exchange some brutal tackles, eke out the hard yards, and exchange penalties. With 1 minute to go, SA are leading by 10-9. Jonny drops back into the pocket, and.....slots it! England are up by 12-10, with only the kickoff to come.

From the resultant kickoff, England kick it deep, right up to the Bok tryline. Matfield fields it, Schalk breaks 2 tackles, and England are penalised for hands in the resultant ruck, right on the Bok 22. Frans Steyn steps up to take the 80m penalty. His shot at goal has the distance... it has the direction... but wait, there`s a cross-wind......OH DAMMIT, AND ESKOM`S DECIDED THAT THIS IS THE TIME FOR SOME "LOAD SHEDDING" AS SA GETS PLUNGED INTO DARKNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***sheepishly leaves to go and hire a generator for the final***

LOL! But luckily Eskom said today load shedding will be suspended tomorrow from 5pm till midnight.

CAN'T WAIT!

England will have a tough time, and will have to make no mistakes, whatsoever - the Boks will capitalise.

Prediction... 9-7 to england...

Right guys- I`ve consulted with relatives long dead, gazed into my crystal ball and in my best Nostradamus-like voice will speak forth the future:

In order to counter the threat from Jonny`s drop goals, on defense, Butch James will shift positions with... Brian Habana!

Jonny will have a drop on the 10min mark, only for Habana to charge it down and score under the sticks from the resultant rebound.

As England realise that they`ll need to shift it wide, a pass over the top to Sackey, will result in Butch intercepting it on the halfway mark. In the clear, with nobody to beat, Butchie sprints away- only to be caught on the cover defense by......Vickery, showing that Butchie`s lost a yard of pace. England to clear the danger.
[/b]

Actually. I'd put loads of money on Butch on the intercept to try to either:
  1. Throw a loopy and uber dangerous pass to Montgomery back in his 22.
  2. Try a drop goal on the wrong foot.
  3. Both.
He was asked the other day if he would try a drop goal, he apparently chuckled and turned it down, saying he'd need to learn from previous masters like de Beer. Just as well because against Fiji and then against Argentina he did look rather prone to suddenly attempting a drop from the half way line or something stupid.

Also, Habana charging Wilko down is an impossibility. He'd just see Habana running for him and either dummy or pass it out and away from danger. Wilkinson can wait until the 95th minute and 200 phases until he gets the perfect opportunity. He won't accept anything less and at some points it ****** off various team mates rotten.

I hope we see a wide-opened match, instead of the kickers match prees is talking about.

Our leader writes:

">
South African sneers give England hope

I live in the part of south west London known as the 'Jaapie Triangle'. Brian Ashton could do worse than have a webcam here to capture the unquestioning belief of expat South Africans that the Springboks cannot lose the World Cup final.

Of countless taunts I could report, this one sums it up: "It's not been fair, all we've had to do is beat England twice to be world champions." Keep talking, keep sneering; I only hope a vestige of this imperiousness is harboured within the psyche of each Springbok.

Therein lies a problem for South Africa. They cannot disavow the hiding they gave England less than a month ago; this could sustain them or it could remove the essential need for any competitor to fear an opponent. This fear is not negative thinking, it is a spur, born of respect for an opponent, which forces you accept that you may need to draw on the depths of your being to win. Neither of these mindsets will be adopted consciously, which is why they are dangerous.

Mark Cueto's inclusion backs the policy of experience being paramount, but it is a close call because his form has been poor so far. Given Brian Ashton's success up to now I go with the coach on this, with the proviso that Dan Hipkiss comes on in the centre and Mathew Tait moves to the wing if Cueto does not do the business.

What England need to focus on are specifics. Talk of fate, purpose or power means nothing. For example, Alain Rolland is a good referee, but he is only human. He will be nervous and want to impose order as soon as he can. Shalk Burger and Juan Smith can both be reckless in the tackle area; England need to be first to the breakdown to make sure South Africa's back row have to drive them off the ball. It is easily foreseeable that they could give away a couple of penalties early on. If they are both kickable, that is 6-0, thank you.

Pressure in the scrum is a given, and if John Smit thought Mark Regan talked a lot the last time they met, you wait until England shove South Africa backwards.

It is in the line-outs that England need to raise their efforts further. Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha are the best pairing around and all England's ball must be secure. However, they have to have a strategy at every opposition throw. If they do not jump they must immediately drive or drop the South Africans, and when they jump they have to get up early and put pressure on the throw. They must not get caught in between. Oh, and as an afterthought to Ben Kay, do not even think of kicking the ball ever again.

Bryan Habana can be a devastating runner, so he must either be turned with kicks, or better still, the first two balls he gets should also come with Lewis Moody, Paul Sackey and Nick Easter. If England do kick for territory, they should target the wings and make them, not Percy Montgomery, return the ball.

Francois Steyn is a gifted player, but capable of blunders as well as brilliance. He is bound to be gung-ho early on and chipping behind him in the centres should find space and make him temper his speed in a rush defence.

Fourie du Preez is the best scrum-half in the world and England cannot lock him up completely, but they should force him to pass, rather than run. They must also be alert at free-kicks and penalties. In nearly every game so far, Du Preez has sparked danger with a quick tap, so he must be watched continuously.

That brings us to fly-half Butch James. Restrained though he now appears, this is skin deep. At the first chance they get, England need to ****le him. Although it went unnoticed, against Fiji he got caught with an elbow and, seeking retribution, charged into the next two rucks and appeared to forearm two players. Next time he might get noticed; another penalty, maybe a yellow card.

Elsewhere it is more of the same; the same commitment, bravery and hunger. Tackling on or in front of the gain-line, not giving away turnover ball. Above all, not giving South Africa anything, making them take any points they get, rather than being given soft chances due to over-enthusiasm or indiscipline.

Before you are tempted to complain that this is negative and cynical, you should watch in detail, as I just have, South Africa's last two games. When you see the amount of off-the-ball stuff carried out by the Boks, you might agree that I am only calling for cynicism to fight cynicism.

England are second favourites, but they have the chance to achieve the astonishing. Do it.
<"

I concur.

<div class='quotemain'> here's the score guys:

-----half time-----

AllBlackBra.jpg

[/b]

erm mate....you know this all blacks brasserie. Where is it located? I would like to have my dinner there. The waitress uniforms look ACE
[/b][/quote]

William Ralph Dean you sir are a fine fellow, by the banks of the royal blue mersey indeed, COYB

Our leader writes:

">
South African sneers give England hope

I live in the part of south west London known as the 'Jaapie Triangle'. Brian Ashton could do worse than have a webcam here to capture the unquestioning belief of expat South Africans that the Springboks cannot lose the World Cup final.

Of countless taunts I could report, this one sums it up: "It's not been fair, all we've had to do is beat England twice to be world champions." Keep talking, keep sneering; I only hope a vestige of this imperiousness is harboured within the psyche of each Springbok.

Therein lies a problem for South Africa. They cannot disavow the hiding they gave England less than a month ago; this could sustain them or it could remove the essential need for any competitor to fear an opponent. This fear is not negative thinking, it is a spur, born of respect for an opponent, which forces you accept that you may need to draw on the depths of your being to win. Neither of these mindsets will be adopted consciously, which is why they are dangerous.

Mark Cueto's inclusion backs the policy of experience being paramount, but it is a close call because his form has been poor so far. Given Brian Ashton's success up to now I go with the coach on this, with the proviso that Dan Hipkiss comes on in the centre and Mathew Tait moves to the wing if Cueto does not do the business.

What England need to focus on are specifics. Talk of fate, purpose or power means nothing. For example, Alain Rolland is a good referee, but he is only human. He will be nervous and want to impose order as soon as he can. Shalk Burger and Juan Smith can both be reckless in the tackle area; England need to be first to the breakdown to make sure South Africa's back row have to drive them off the ball. It is easily foreseeable that they could give away a couple of penalties early on. If they are both kickable, that is 6-0, thank you.

Pressure in the scrum is a given, and if John Smit thought Mark Regan talked a lot the last time they met, you wait until England shove South Africa backwards.

It is in the line-outs that England need to raise their efforts further. Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha are the best pairing around and all England's ball must be secure. However, they have to have a strategy at every opposition throw. If they do not jump they must immediately drive or drop the South Africans, and when they jump they have to get up early and put pressure on the throw. They must not get caught in between. Oh, and as an afterthought to Ben Kay, do not even think of kicking the ball ever again.

Bryan Habana can be a devastating runner, so he must either be turned with kicks, or better still, the first two balls he gets should also come with Lewis Moody, Paul Sackey and Nick Easter. If England do kick for territory, they should target the wings and make them, not Percy Montgomery, return the ball.

Francois Steyn is a gifted player, but capable of blunders as well as brilliance. He is bound to be gung-ho early on and chipping behind him in the centres should find space and make him temper his speed in a rush defence.

Fourie du Preez is the best scrum-half in the world and England cannot lock him up completely, but they should force him to pass, rather than run. They must also be alert at free-kicks and penalties. In nearly every game so far, Du Preez has sparked danger with a quick tap, so he must be watched continuously.

That brings us to fly-half Butch James. Restrained though he now appears, this is skin deep. At the first chance they get, England need to ****le him. Although it went unnoticed, against Fiji he got caught with an elbow and, seeking retribution, charged into the next two rucks and appeared to forearm two players. Next time he might get noticed; another penalty, maybe a yellow card.

Elsewhere it is more of the same; the same commitment, bravery and hunger. Tackling on or in front of the gain-line, not giving away turnover ball. Above all, not giving South Africa anything, making them take any points they get, rather than being given soft chances due to over-enthusiasm or indiscipline.

Before you are tempted to complain that this is negative and cynical, you should watch in detail, as I just have, South Africa's last two games. When you see the amount of off-the-ball stuff carried out by the Boks, you might agree that I am only calling for cynicism to fight cynicism.

England are second favourites, but they have the chance to achieve the astonishing. Do it.
<"

I concur.
[/b]

In 1899 England invaded our country. In the three years to follow, 22000 women and children died in the English concentration camps and hundreds of farmsteads were burnt down. In 1902 you took our country and our freedom from us. You haven't apologised for that yet.

It's payback time! Be afraid: be very afraid!

Your country? If you are a black native African, then you are correct, otherwise it never was "your" country.

Apologised for what? I'll check my diary, but I don't think I was there. The Afrikaner's record of treating other peoples needs no comment from me.

No need to drag politics into this, it's about as useful as an Englishman pointing to a Saffa and comparing human rights records. Rugby Union is a game, like cricket, that is inherently tied to colonialism and no one is going to have a clean history.

I'm geared to watch this game, It's embarrassing to admit, but i've been busting ovaries ever since the wallabies lost and hearing anything about rugby is a bit depressing. Though I have to watch the final, and one thing I really want to see is the competition between these two packs. Indeed, the last match-up was as boring as bat ****, but both sides are going to be utterly committed and selfless this time round. I remember seeing the competition at the breakdown in the first ten minutes of the Samoa v SA game and just going "woaaah farking awesome," the total abandonment of some players made for really good rugby. I hope it's a really gritty and close game that lifts the intensity, I don't want to stay up to watch a penalty slug-fest.

I don't think England will receive the maualing they did against South Africa in the pool stages, but the Springboks will edge it. England were lucky agaisnt Australia, they were lucky against France - surely they can't be lucky again.

No need to drag politics into this, [/b]

You're right, merely giving as good as I get.

If the English backs can keep the Boers out and the English scrum can disrupt, we're in with a chance. If neither of these occur then it's goodnight. Whatever happens, it won't be pretty-boy rugby.

Good.

Latest posts