• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Glasgow Warriors Thread

Hard game against Connaught A narrow but deserved win Bearing in mind that Warriors were missing 20 players due to World Cup duties and the opposition a mere 2 this was a significant result . Great game by Blair and a clutch of the young hopefuls.

News today that Finn Russell, who had a deal due to end in 2016, has signed a two year extension to keep him in Glasgow until 2018.

Scotstoun will have a new 3G pitch for the start of Pro 12. Finn should be back training sometime later this month and should be fit to play sometime near the start of the season.

Ulster at Scotstoun

Glasgow Warriors team to play Ulster at Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 23 September (kick-off 7.35pm) â€" live on BBC Two Scotland:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Leonardo Sarto
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Tommy Seymour
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos (Co-Captain)

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Zander Fagerson
4. Greg Peterson
5. Jonny Gray (Co-Captain)
6. Tjiuee Uanivi
7. Lewis Wynne*
8. Ryan Wilson

Replacements

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Alex Allan
18. Sila Puafisi
19. Sam Thomson*
20. Matt Fagerson*
21. Ali Price
22. Nick Grigg
23. Rory Hughes

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (hip / foot), Scott Cummings (shoulder), Simone Favaro (shoulder), Jarrod Firth (knee), Chris Fusaro (knees), Ryan Grant (back), Rob Harley (knee), Peter Horne (hand), D’arcy Rae (back), Josh Strauss (head), Tim Swinson (ribs) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).

Interesting signing of LangiLangi from PRO Rugby to Glasgow. I watched a fair bit of him this year as I adopted the not very good Sacramento Express as my PRO team. As the highlights below show he had a bit of ability and was certainly considered the team's standout player. Its hard to tell what quality of defence he was up against in PRO, but it'll be interesting to see if he makes the grade with what is a pretty big step up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXI9-YiLqf8

Dave Rennie eh?

Can't get much better than that... indeed - can you get any better than that? Best head coach in the world?

In the Italy game they said Sarto has undergone shoulder surgery and will miss the 6N. A huge loss for Italy and Glasgow.

Hogg and Jonny Gray (wrist) out for 4-6 months following surgery. Not making Rennie's start any easier.

Just bring this thread back. Really happy with todays win. We really were up against it. The red card seemed to do us a favour. The ref had a terrible game. He should have sin binned their lad for tackling in the air. A lot seemed to go against us. So that is why the win was all the more special. Nice to see Doddie on the telly. Great day. WE ARE WARRIORS.

Danny Wilson replacing Dave Rennie is already disappointing some.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50488965

I'm really disappointed in what appears to be a huge downgrade. He left a stagnating Blues after money disagreements with the chairman. Then presided over what could easily be considered a declining Scottish pack, then just walks into the Warriors gig. It's hard to see what he has done lately to merit this. I think Edinburgh are going to become the dominant force in Scotland if they can hold onto Hodge and Cockerill.

Can Scotland have the policy that all national team players must be Glasgow Warriors or Edinburgh Rugby players?

Can Scotland have the policy that all national team players must be Glasgow Warriors or Edinburgh Rugby players?

No. Laidlaw, for example, hasn't played in Scotland for years. I don't even think there is a Gatland's law / Wallabies 60 caps type of thing in any form. Scotland are kind of different in that they only have two professional sides, so they are happy to have players playing abroad to expand their number of active pro players.

No. Laidlaw, for example, hasn't played in Scotland for years. I don't even think there is a Gatland's law / Wallabies 60 caps type of thing in any form. Scotland are kind of different in that they only have two professional sides, so they are happy to have players playing abroad to expand their number of active pro players.

How about Ireland? Does Ireland have the policy that all internationals must be Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Connacht players?

As for Scotland, is "all internationals must be Glasgow Warriors or Edinburgh Rugby players, or English Premiership or French top 14 through Scottish 2 teams at least 1 season" OK? In the case of Gordon Reid, special permission should be given.

200px-Glasgow_Warriors_Logo.png

WE ARE WARRIORS :cool:

Danny Wilson let go. I thought he was a poor appointment but then think he has overachieved this year with the players at his disposal. Who on earth that finished above them should they have been ahead of?

Reading comments from Glasgow fans there is a clear disconnect between my perspective and theirs and general disgruntlement from the stalwarts.

Top 8 is a tougher ask than I think most casual fans appreciate. Stormers have massively overachieved to get to 2. When (if?) the Welsh sides get back on track its going to be a proper dog fight for those spots 4 through 8. I think the top Irish provinces will continue to make the top 4 or thereabouts for the foreseeable future. That leaves precious few spots for the "big 3" SA, both Scottish and top Welsh sides to fit into 5. Not to mention Benetton and Connacht who could also conceivably push top 8. Connacht though are a tougher ask as they have the toughest conference.

Latest posts