• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Haskwit to change his mind?

The more I read about Haskell the more I have the feeling that he is a ******. And as I rate Parisse, Leguizamon and Taylor above him, it won't be an heartbreak if he change his mind.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Feb 26 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The more I read about Haskell the more I have the feeling that he is a ******. And as I rate Parisse, Leguizamon and Taylor above him, it won't be an heartbreak if he change his mind.[/b]

Correct. Just like his mentor, uncle Lawrence.

From what I can see, Haskell wants to play for England as No.1 priority. He engineered his Stade deal to make sure he'd be able to fully commit himself to England as he would in the Premiership.

Now, there are rumours flying around about France-based players suffering, because a few English guys are going over. So Haskell, who said from the off that England came first, is understandably having doubts.

Personally, provided all England players are available for all England commitments, I don't really care where they play. Playing at Stade will improve Haskell as a player anyway; same for Tom Palmer.

It's the older guys like Flutey and Goode who won't improve, and simply go to a crap club like Brive for money, who I'd be worried about if I was Johnson.

The point being made though is if he won't commit himself to the club who'll pay his weekly wages (which are extortinately high demands for such an over-rated player) by saying "England is my number 1 priority", he simply will not get anyone who wants him - Especially when nigh-on every club in the Premiership has a better number 6/8 on the books.

Then again knowing the RFU, they'd prefer if he never plays except on international weekends.

I wouldn't exactly say Brive are a crap club given what they're doing this season but that's another arguement.

Given that Haskell has actually signed a deal with Paris, he'd have to get his new club to buy him out of what would surely be a too expensive deal given the salary cap. So is he not stuck with it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 26 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
From what I can see, Haskell wants to play for England as No.1 priority. He engineered his Stade deal to make sure he'd be able to fully commit himself to England as he would in the Premiership.

Now, there are rumours flying around about France-based players suffering, because a few English guys are going over. So Haskell, who said from the off that England came first, is understandably having doubts.

Personally, provided all England players are available for all England commitments, I don't really care where they play. Playing at Stade will improve Haskell as a player anyway; same for Tom Palmer.

It's the older guys like Flutey and Goode who won't improve, and simply go to a crap club like Brive for money, who I'd be worried about if I was Johnson.[/b]

I'm not a fan of Brive but this club was prestigious ten years ago, they won the Heineken Cup in 96... and they are on the way to participate to the next edition as they're at the moment in the 5th place of Top14. They are qualified in Europen Challenge Cup quarter final too this season.

I guess that playing for Brive is, at least, better than playing for Toulon.  :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Feb 26 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 26 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the older guys like Flutey and Goode who won't improve, and simply go to a crap club like Brive for money, who I'd be worried about if I was Johnson.[/b]

I'm not a fan of Brive but this club was prestigious ten years ago, they won the Heineken Cup in 96... and they are on the way to participate to the next edition as they're at the moment in the 5th place of Top14. They are qualified in Europen Challenge Cup quarter final too this season.

I guess that playing for Brive is, at least, better than playing for Toulon.  :p
[/b][/quote]

vraiment! but from a club like Wasps, Brive is a step down.

Personally, I think this whole "if you don't play in the country you play for you will not get to play rugby for your country" bullshit that's rife in rugby today.

SO f***!?!

Players need to benefit themselves as people as well as there own rugby careers as well as there club and country etc.

If he felt,

a) This is a fantastic financial opportunity for me, I should take this offer to play for Stade Francais.
B) This is a fantastic opportunity for me as a rugby player, some good competition at both 6 and 8 and I'll learn more than I would have if I was in the Guinness Premiership for an equal length of time.
c) All of the above.

Then who the f*** are you to judge, he made a decision that he was the sole benefactor of, what is so wrong with that. It's selfish to ask him to do anything different than make a decision for himself, why is it thereby punishable by omission from the international set-up just because he decided not to play in England, it's just petty and frankly childish. It's things like this, playing god that is one of the **** things about the professional era...so far.

I welcome any Scottish/English/French/Welsh etc. that wants to go and play in Scottish/English/French/Wales etc. to do so. It only makes sense, to vary the experience of your potential international candidates.

In short, the above attitudes harbored by those have proposed this ridiculous, ignorant and petty pursuit to essentially ruin the career of a budding young back-row, are doing the name of rugby a disservice, it should be banned, or sanctionable...it's sort of discrimination.

Personally, I think this whole "if you don't play in the country you play for you will not get to play rugby for your country" bullshit that's rife in rugby today.

SO f***!?!

Players need to benefit themselves as people as well as there own rugby careers as well as there club and country etc.

If he felt,

a) This is a fantastic financial opportunity for me, I should take this offer to play for Stade Francais.
B) This is a fantastic opportunity for me as a rugby player, some good competition at both 6 and 8 and I'll learn more than I would have if I was in the Guinness Premiership for an equal length of time.
c) All of the above.

Then who the f*** are you to judge, he made a decision that he was the sole benefactor of, what is so wrong with that. It's selfish to ask him to do anything different than make a decision for himself, why is it thereby punishable by omission from the international set-up just because he decided not to play in England, it's just petty and frankly childish. It's things like this, playing god that is one of the **** things about the professional era...so far.

I welcome any Scottish/English/French/Welsh etc. that wants to go and play in Scottish/English/French/Wales etc. to do so. It only makes sense, to vary the experience of your potential international candidates.

In short, the above attitudes harbored by those have proposed this ridiculous, ignorant and petty pursuit to essentially ruin the career of a budding young back-row, are doing the name of rugby a disservice, it should be banned, or sanctionable...it's sort of discrimination.

Latest posts