• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The IRB Player of the Year nominations: Who are we thinking ?

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
the IRB Player of the year nominations are to be announced on the 12th of November so i'd thought i'd ask this question on who do you think will be nominated as IRB Player of the year or who do you think will get IRB Player off the year.

I know that Steffon Armitage must get nominated and mike brown too. have a feeling Brian O'Driscoll might have a nomination but probably not. for the Southern Hemisphere, Kieran Read might get a nomination, but i dont know.

who are we thinking ?

Hopefully Mike Brown gets a nomination . Would it count the lions tour aswell ? If so George North won't be a million miles away other than that it will be kiwis plus Hooper and Le Roux ?

le roux should get nominated, hooper idt will but would be lovely for him to get one if it was an aussie to get nominated i'd say Folau possibly..

Last edited:
Le Roux? Really? Bernard or his cousin Willie? Look I am a fan but TBH if I'm assuming correct here Willie was-IMO- behind all of Smith, Folau and Tuculet at 15 let alone best player overall. Best SA player by a mile has been Vermeulen. From NZ, Retallick. Aus' best has been Hooper. Argentina.. Sanchez or anyone from the front row.

Le Roux? Really? Bernard or his cousin Willie? Look I am a fan but TBH if I'm assuming correct here Willie was-IMO- behind all of Smith, Folau and Tuculet at 15 let alone best player overall. Best SA player by a mile has been Vermeulen. From NZ, Retallick. Aus' best has been Hooper. Argentina.. Sanchez or anyone from the front row.
or Montero ??

or Montero ??
Wouldn't be a bad shout. Though I'd be surprised looking at how they sort out selections to see anyone from Argentina. From NZ Retallick has been their best player but he has played every game so might lose out. In that case I wouldn't be surprised to see Savea or Read get a nomination.

I would only be guessing if I were to speculate from the Nh teams as I didn't follow the 6N and all the cross hemisphere matches the last while.

for NH Armitage and Brown i think are getting a nomination if not one off them, i somehow wouldn't be surprised if Niko Matawalu gets on but very unlikely but i can see him getting one.

Isn't the IRB player of the year based on international tests? If that's the case then Armitage doesn't stand a chance. My four nominations would be Vermuelen, Rettalick, Savea and Hooper. Out of the NH players Mike Brown is probably the most deserving of a nomination.

for NH Armitage and Brown i think are getting a nomination if not one off them, i somehow wouldn't be surprised if Niko Matawalu gets on but very unlikely but i can see him getting one.

The award is only for test players and only tests played are looked at (the previou year's November matches and tests played up to date if I remember correctly and it hasn't changed) which would rule Armitage out despite him being a great player for Toulon, yeah.

I see I have a 'has' instead of 'hasn't' in my previous post regarding Retallick; he missed the game in Jo'Burg.

Scotty, the panel takes all test matches form November the previos year till after the Rugby championship (including the 6N and June of course). For each match, they mark down the three stand out players in every match. The 5 players marked down the most gets it. Of course it is subjective and the overall performances of your team will help you out as it's easier to shine out above your opponents in a winning team IMO.At least, that is how I remember it; so take this with info with a big asterisk.

Last edited:
LE ROUUUUUUUUX ??!!!!!!! hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh !!

Yeh I dunno Kieran Dear. No French player has a chance, suffering from PSA's effect on the team although in the "shadows" Fofana gets my consideration, and based on facts not rep. Steff Armitage although he doesn't play Test Rugby yet.. uuhmm Vermeulen for being Thor. I'd like to see, but OF COURSE it won't happen, Nico Sanchez or Creevy from the Pumas, think one at least deserves it. Hoopah for sure no doubt. From the AB apart from Dieran Kear I'd go Retallick for sure.
Mike Brown no because he didn't confirm his 6N form later and England got 2nd anyways so it's not like he's a symbol of anything great for ENG as of '14 or maybe yeah.
Ireland nobody sticks out, very good team though. Welsh not really...Scotland, Italy, mmmno...

Yeah for me my genuine votes are: Vermeulen, Creevy, Retallick, Hooper.

Yes, I left out the *n't. Tried to clarify in my previous post.

Ok fair enough gov, I'm not too proud to admit when I've been bested. I'll leave you for today but we shall meet again, when the hurylburlys done, when the battles lost and won. That will be ere the set of sun

Read has been disappointing for me this year. He hasn't been bad or anything but I don't think he has stamped his mark on any of the big games. People can talk about Retallick or Savea all they want but for me Richie McCaw has been our best this year by a fair margin.

I'll go: McCaw, Vermeulen, Hooper, Creevy and Sexton.

Brown, Retallick, Savea and Kuridrani would be the next lot of players for me.

Vermeulen.
Retallick.
Token Northern Hemisphere player A.
Token Northern Hemisphere player B.

;)

I'm going to wait for the EOTY to give my candidates...

From southern hemisphere retallick, vermulen, hooper, kirrindrani and possibly even mccaw could sneak in nominations.

There are 4 players nominated right? I'd say it will be Hooper, Retallick, Vermeulen and the token NH nominee - probably Mike Brown. Richie McCaw could also be nominated. I'm going to say the winner with be either Hooper or Vermeulen, 50/50 call.

Latest posts