• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
1745 Saturday slot for the QF. Prime time baby.
Was strange that actually every time was policing calls.
We are 12.45 due to soccer matches.
Sarries are 3.15 due to policing and council restraints.
And Aviva policing preferred Sat evening due to shoppers and is there some other event.

Our game will be freeview too which I just discovered is a plus as you get a financial bonus as Virgin and C4 donate

Damn right too, he's better off playing for Ster than the u20s.

Ah dunno about that.

It'd mean he has to share the same oxygen with all that lot in the RDS stands...
icon_twisted.gif

I think Harry Byrne will make his Leinster debut before the end of this season. He looks vastly improved from last year and by all accounts was very good in the Celtic Cup.

He was unrecognisable (in a good way) from the player he was last year and I'd give Felipe and Lancaster a lot of credit for that.

Harry Byrne looked very sharp. If you can get 4 or 5 future contributors to the senior squad from an u20 age group, you've done very well. It's hard to judge from just one game but it looks as though there could be at least 6 players who'll go on and have good Leinster careers. That's a great return.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/ru...ld-at-his-feet-but-must-kick-on-37818915.html

The standard of the rugby print media in Ireland is woeful. A player plays 14/20 games in a season and is in the team for tomorrow and he's struggling for game time? He's 22 ffs! What are these people looking for?

Our mythical backrow depth is a fiction at this point. Next season we'll be down to Ruddock, Leavy, Van Der Flier and Conan (and they're not exactly four players famous for their brilliant injury record.) After that Deegan, Doris and then the likes of Penny and Murphy will get plenty of chances. Conan and Doris will be his only competition at 8 and that's actually probably a better situation he'd be in than at other provinces.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/ru...ld-at-his-feet-but-must-kick-on-37818915.html

The standard of the rugby print media in Ireland is woeful. A player plays 14/20 games in a season and is in the team for tomorrow and he's struggling for game time? He's 22 ffs! What are these people looking for?

Our mythical backrow depth is a fiction at this point. Next season we'll be down to Ruddock, Leavy, Van Der Flier and Conan (and they're not exactly four players famous for their brilliant injury record.) After that Deegan, Doris and then the likes of Penny and Murphy will get plenty of chances. Conan and Doris will be his only competition at 8 and that's actually probably a better situation he'd be in than at other provinces.
Agree rugby journalism is mostly poor here.
We have said it in Munster for years but seems Dubland is only listening now as they moving on to Leinster.

However this article is more along lines of Deegan was a world player of year and is in danger of not kicking on and progressing. Not that he has to move more look at Jack O'Donoghue for us. Has been given huge minutes and chances. But is he a 6 or 8 and has played 7. The danger isn't minutes it's not settling in to a role and being a lost potential.

Jack O'Donoghue is 25 though. Deegan is 22 and is progressing fairly well. It's not a disaster if a young player isn't playing for Ireland, he's 22 and he's played 70% of Leinster's games this season, he's played in a champion's cup knockout game, he played in our last two Heineken Cup games and he came off the bench in the Pro14 semi final (and won the game-ending penalty). All through this he's generally been playing well as well. I really don't know how someone informed can look at his career and say it isn't living up to potential. Not everyone is going to be James Ryan and be first choice for Ireland a few months after his debut. Because a few players he played U20s with are in the Ireland 23 it's an easy media narrative to peddle but not really one that stands up to any kind of proper examination.

I know what you mean about the way he gets shifted around the backrow to accommodate Doris but that could help him round out his game a bit more as well so long as it doesn't keep happening too long.

But realistically moving would probably be a disaster for him. Munster have Stander, Botha, and Jack O'Donoghue, Ulster have Coetzee, Murphy and Timoney, Connacht aren't short of backrows either. He'd actually be moving to a team where he'd be further down the pecking order in all likelihood.

Jack O'Donoghue is 25 though. Deegan is 22 and is progressing fairly well. It's not a disaster if a young player isn't playing for Ireland, he's 22 and he's played 70% of Leinster's games this season, he's played in a champion's cup knockout game, he played in our last two Heineken Cup games and he came off the bench in the Pro14 semi final (and won the game-ending penalty). All through this he's generally been playing well as well. I really don't know how someone informed can look at his career and say it isn't living up to potential. Not everyone is going to be James Ryan and be first choice for Ireland a few months after his debut. Because a few players he played U20s with are in the Ireland 23 it's an easy media narrative to peddle but not really one that stands up to any kind of proper examination.

I know what you mean about the way he gets shifted around the backrow to accommodate Doris but that could help him round out his game a bit more as well so long as it doesn't keep happening too long.

But realistically moving would probably be a disaster for him. Munster have Stander, Botha, and Jack O'Donoghue, Ulster have Coetzee, Murphy and Timoney, Connacht aren't short of backrows either. He'd actually be moving to a team where he'd be further down the pecking order in all likelihood.
Again not sayong moving is the option and yes je is only 22. But if you look at the Kack O'Donoghue trend it's very similar. I'm not saying he is getting too little time but if its a case of constantly moving around the backrow his potential will limit and he will turn in to a guy who will just always be a "filler" as opposed to eventually challenging.
Like you've this awful habit of constantly comparing to others. It's not that it's on himself. JJ Hanrahan is mentioned. Similar way was he always wanted to be a 10. In Munster he used to get loads and loads of minutes. Some at 10, some at 12, some at 15. His potential was lost as he never settled to 1 spot. And look at him now. That course is probably what is meant. I'm not saying it's at that stage but it is a route thst may occur

Again not sayong moving is the option and yes je is only 22. But if you look at the Kack O'Donoghue trend it's very similar. I'm not saying he is getting too little time but if its a case of constantly moving around the backrow his potential will limit and he will turn in to a guy who will just always be a "filler" as opposed to eventually challenging.
Like you've this awful habit of constantly comparing to others. It's not that it's on himself. JJ Hanrahan is mentioned. Similar way was he always wanted to be a 10. In Munster he used to get loads and loads of minutes. Some at 10, some at 12, some at 15. His potential was lost as he never settled to 1 spot. And look at him now. That course is probably what is meant. I'm not saying it's at that stage but it is a route thst may occur

I completely get what you mean about him being played around the backrow and it's obviously a concern but I do think there's a difference. His best position is obviously 8, if you look at other players, like for example Carbery, there was/is a genuine question whether he's better as a 10 or a 15. Deegan is obviously an 8, I wouldn't even say he's particularly suited to being a flanker. If we're here in two years and he's still in the same situation he's in now, getting moved around the Leinster backrow in Pro14 games then there's obviously a question of him not fulfilling his potential but right now it's just people looking for a story where there isn't one.

Agree rugby journalism is mostly poor here.
We have said it in Munster for years but seems Dubland is only listening now as they moving on to Leinster.
Yep the poor standard of journalism didn't stop Munster taking INM money and renaming Musgrave Park as the Denis O'Brien Memorial Stadium (or Irish Independent Park)!

But if you look at the Kack O'Donoghue trend it's very similar.
He's not that bad.

A quick look at facts such as @Leinster Fan pointed out would tell people that Max Deegan gets a ton of game time. Leinster's conundrum is trying to fit both Deegan and the equally talented Caelan Doris into the same backrow. They're managing the situation really well. For what it's worth, I felt Doris would push ahead of Deegan this season but it's the elder player who's having a better season to date.

Yep the poor standard of journalism didn't stop Munster taking INM money and renaming Musgrave Park as the Denis O'Brien Memorial Stadium (or Irish Independent Park)!

He's not that bad.

A quick look at facts such as @Leinster Fan pointed out would tell people that Max Deegan gets a ton of game time. Leinster's conundrum is trying to fit both Deegan and the equally talented Caelan Doris into the same backrow. They're managing the situation really well. For what it's worth, I felt Doris would push ahead of Deegan this season but it's the elder player who's having a better season to date.
Yes we took easy money but still won't allow 2 of their journalists credentials. Seperate body also was behind selling naming rights.

On Deegan. I'm not saying he isn't getting enough time. More at the moment he has huge potential. History suggests jumping around backrow halts that potential. Will he ever be more than just a squad player and will he reach potential. Only time will tell

Doesn't seem likely. Ringrose didn't seem to train fully either so he's very unlikely as well.
Ringrose is like CJ and training lightly with province. Has already been ruled out.
Porter is a strange one as he could've done with a start.

Latest posts