• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
I'm hearing very bad rumours on the grapevine re. Dan's injury.

Can any of you lot confirm it isn't as bad as I've been lead to believe?
Have heard similar. That the RWC isn't all he will miss. Hopefully he will play again.

Rumours like that are going to fly whenever something like this happens. After an injury like that the truth is nobody really knows anything other than its horrific and you'll get at least the guts of a year in the physio room.

Rumours like that are going to fly whenever something like this happens. After an injury like that the truth is nobody really knows anything other than its horrific and you'll get at least the guts of a year in the physio room.
Think that is it. In comparison to similar cases pros have never returned while others have. It depends on many factors

Yeah. I've heard that the injury is pretty similar to Beno Obano's with most (if not all) of the ligaments done.

It's a horror injury for sure, but Obano has just come back after 9mths or so out, so I'm hopeful that Leavy can do the same.

Pity for him after only just coming back from injury but can't really complain about that.

Also don't know but it's been posted anywhere else here but it's been confirmed that John Fogarty is moving on to the Ireland job after the World Cup and that Robin McBryde is taking over.

Fair for McFadden. Fairly out of character for him as well I think, and it's a shame because he only has so much rugby left in him.

Also don't know but it's been posted anywhere else here but it's been confirmed that John Fogarty is moving on to the Ireland job after the World Cup and that Robin McBryde is taking over.
Seems like a good appointment. I presume he'll take on the role of forwards coach rather than simply be scrum coach.

I've mentioned Alex Ferguson a few times as a model manager/head coach for various reasons. Firstly he recognised when a players time was up and knew when to bring in fresh talent. Another aspect where he was brilliant was freshening up his coaching staff so players didn't get tired of hearing the same voices over and over. There are echoes of Alex Ferguson in what Leo Cullen is doing in all these regards.

Take the coaching staff when Cullen took over. There was him as head coach/forwards coach, Kurt McQuilkin as defence coach, Girvan Dempsey as backs coach, John Fogarty as scrum coach, Richie Murphy as skills coach, Emmet Farrell as kicking coach/analyst and Peter Smyth as academy manager. 5/7 are now gone.

After a year, it was clear that a change was needed. Kurt McQuilkin was out for personal reasons (I'd love to see him return) and Stuart Lancaster proved a masterstroke appointment as senior coach/head coach. It allowed Cullen concentrate on the forwards and media work. Richie Murphy soon followed to a full time Ireland role.

Having won the European Cup, Girvan Dempsey moved on to Bath and Leinster brought in an outside voice in Felipe Contepomi as new backs coach and Hugh Hogan to the new role of contact coach.

At the end of this season, John Fogarty moves on to the Ireland job and Robin McBryde who has a mountain of experience in the Welsh system under Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards replaces him. Peter Smyth is also moving to an Ireland role and Andy Wood moves up from head coach of Clontarf, Ireland u19s and former Belvedere coach where he was extremely successful in all roles.

New outside voices keep players on their toes and prevent them from hearing the same message over and over with diminishing effect.

Apprently Josh Vdf is returning to training and could be back by the end of the season! If he's ready he's worth a spot on the bench against Saracens at the very least especially if Ruddock isn't fit. Pro14 knockouts are probably a more realistic aim though.

Last edited:
Apprently Josh Vdf is returning to training and could be back by the end of the season!

Coming in here to post the same thing - shocked he's back so quick. Brilliant for him and Leinster.

Someone (not here I think) had said it was that bad, it could have been him done for good.

Great news, he's back to his best and will be important with the transition we'll be going through.

Latest posts