• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Real pity, like I said, surprised it hadn't happened already but very disappointing for everyone involved.

I disagree on Frawley, he would serve Leinster best as a 10, our options are super bleak after Sexton. Byrne 1 is shite, Byrne 2 looks less and less likely to make it with each injury, Prendergast is a couple years away yet. If he's not number two 10 to start the season now that we have another 12 in the squad, possibly two if COB stays fit, it'd look like another disappointingly conservative call from our coaches to me.

I don't think it's a conservative call if they continue to pick Frawley at 10. They played him more at 10 when he first broke through, decided he wasn't as good as others and moved him. His performances vs the Maori did not scream play me at 10 even if they were last minute things.

Unless he shoes otherwise the calls for Frawley smack me as a but of shiny object syndrome/desparation.

With Lancaster looking certain to go we should be throwing everything we have at ROG.

He'd be an ideal successor, man management seems to be the biggest weakness in the current squad. I've heard that the coaching staff leave a lot of these responsibilities on the players and I dont think it works when apart from Sexton the other trusted leaders aren't starters. ROG would put his own stamp on this.

James Tracy forced to retire on medical grounds. Never the best way to go out. Hopefully it doesn't cause him too much suffering.

Was never the most naturally talented player but its a real testament to him that he made the career that he did.

Also probably the most minted player in Leinster due to marrying a hoteliers daughter.

James Tracy forced to retire on medical grounds. Never the best way to go out. Hopefully it doesn't cause him too much suffering.

Was never the most naturally talented player but its a real testament to him that he made the career that he did.

Also probably the most minted player in Leinster due to marrying a hoteliers daughter.

The most talented - No.
But to be fair was a great grafter and squad player and played his part well.
Shocked he hadn't retired earlier as this was an issue for a long time.

But a gent of a man and as you say BG8 won't be stuck for a few €€.
However, I will say I got to know him slightly through his work with MS Ireland and well I will just say the unseen work he does there is unbelievable.

Leinster players in Ireland U20s Squad:

Prop
George Morris (Gonzaga/Lansdowne/Leinster)
George Hadden (Gorey RFC/Clontarf/Leinster)
Ronan Foxe (Tullamore RFC/Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Fiachna Barrett (Corinthians/Connacht)
Paddy McCarthy (Blackrock/DUFC/Leinster)

Hooker
Gus McCarthy (Blackrock/UCD/Leinster)(captain)
Conall Henchy (DUFC/Munster)
Danny Sheahan (UCC/Munster)

Lock
Conor O'Tighearnaigh (St. Michaels/UCD/Leinster)
Charlie Irvine (Queen's University/Ulster)
Evan O'Connell (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Joe Hopes (Queen's University/Ulster)

Backrow
Jacob Sheahan (UCC/Munster)
Diarmuid Mangan (Newbridge/UCD/Leinster)
Ruadhán Quinn (Old Crescent/Munster)
James McNabney (Ballymena/Ulster)
Brian Gleeson (Garryowen/Munster)

Scrumhalf
Jack Oliver (Garryowen/Munster)
Oscar Cawley (Naas/Naas/Leinster)
Fintan Gunne (St. Michaels/Terenure/Leinster)

Outhalf
Sam Prendergast (Newbridge/Lansdowne/Leinster)
Matthew Lynch (Terenure/DUFC/Leinster)

Harry West (Buccaneers/Connacht)

Centre
Sam Berman (St. Michaels/DUFC/Leinster) - u19
Hugh Gavin (Galwegians/Connacht)
Hugh Cooney (Blackrock/Clontarf/Leinster)
John Devine (Corinthians/Connacht)

Back Three
Ike Anagu (La Rochelle/IQ Rugby)
James Nicholson (St. Michaels/UCD/Leinster)
Rory Telfer (Queen's University/Ulster)
Henry McErlean (St. Michaels/Terenure/Leinster)
Noah Sheridan (Wicklow RFC/Clontarf/Leinster)

First time in awhile he's extended beyond 1 year. Wonder what the change/incentive was.

A bit of continuity whilst hopefully getting a strong replacement to take on Lancaster's role sounds like a solid approach.

I dont think theyll get anyone to replace Lancaster, Goodman will take more responsibility with attack and they'll bring someone in for defence.

First time in awhile he's extended beyond 1 year. Wonder what the change/incentive was.

A bit of continuity whilst hopefully getting a strong replacement to take on Lancaster's role sounds like a solid approach.
Seems it was more just to keep continuity without speculation of "he will go next year" but to be fair unless it was to Irish job where else would he go unless he retires.

And even the Irish job I'm not sure would suit Leo as it is a different structure.

Sexton has had groin surgery and is out for the rest of the season.

Not ideal.

Bowing out with a home grandslam decider is a decent way to call it a day but hopefully he does make it back in time

Sexton will be fine for RWC. But Leinster less Sexton and possibly Doris, Ringrose and Keenan makes Ulster game more interesting.

Sad way for his Leinster career to (likely) end. Hope he gets the chance to end his career on the pitch in France though. It's what he deserves.

Definitely a big pity for Sexton as it would have been great to give him a proper club send off.

But in the grand scheme of things does this not benefit Ireland especially?

Gives Ross Byrne the knowledge he'll be No 1 for Leinster and can focus on getting better for when he plays for Ireland

Definitely a big pity for Sexton as it would have been great to give him a proper club send off.

But in the grand scheme of things does this not benefit Ireland especially?

Gives Ross Byrne the knowledge he'll be No 1 for Leinster and can focus on getting better for when he plays for Ireland
Yes and no. Not a dig at Byrne but he still has tendency to shovel shite out when pressure on. Not saying other options are better. I personally think Crowley is best back up but regardless. If Leinster don't win Europe considering the draw they have it will go down as a fail. And if Byrne plays a part in that failure for example his errors or lack of penetration to backline is factor. Then his confidence will be knocked and then we back to underused Crowley at 10, untested at 10 Frawley, and Confidence shot Byrne and Carbery so it still 1 can go either way.
But either way lads can't say they didn't get proper opportunity

Sad way for his Leinster career to (likely) end. Hope he gets the chance to end his career on the pitch in France though. It's what he deserves.

Fukk Leinster :D

Hopefully a few more lads have wee nig.gles that keep them out for Saturday! [I can't use the word nig.gles without a dot in the middle. TRF's filter obviously using the Microsoft equivalent of ChatGPT!]

(Of course, totally hoping they are fit and raring to go the week after... till a prospective URC head-to-head of course.)

On a more serious note - would this mean prospect of some gametime for Sam Prendergast in a URC dead rubber? With Harry Byrne not really kicking on, and Ross Byrne consistently having doubt about his abilities in a pressure cooker* swirl around him, would Prendergast be worth a cursory look as a bolter for Andy Farrell at this point?

*for instance, what if we win at the weekend but it's because RB has a big stinker? I'd call that a major feckin problem.

Latest posts