• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Little General returns

R

Radman

Stacey Jones to be a Warrior in 09, 1 year deal. His thoughts are we have the group of players to do the business.

I think so too, he will fit right in and clean the halves.

Awesome!, can't wait for the new season to begin.

bring on 09! warriors needed a quality 7 badly and jones fits the mould perfectly. the likes of liam foran will learn a lot of jones it's great for their development.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1320238/2281834
Little General out of retirement
The Warriors dropped a bombshell on Friday, announcing Kiwi halfback of the century Stacey Jones is coming out of retirement for the 2009 season.

During an impromptu press conference at Mt Smart Stadium, coach Ivan Cleary and chief executive Wayne Scurrah announced Jones had been signed by the club on a one-year deal.

Cleary said he had watched Jones' game for the All Golds and was impressed by what he saw. He then approached the halfback soon after and asked him if he wanted to come out of retirement.

"Stacey was doing some training for the All Golds game and just watching him do that and also during the game I just thought I'd ask really," Cleary said

"He's done enough so far to convince me. I guess the big question will be how his body holds up.

"At this stage he's just another piece in the puzzle fighting to get that jersey. The point of difference he does have is he's a big match player and he's done everything in the game."

Affectionately known as the 'Little General,' Jones has had a year away from the playing field following one season with the Catalans Dragons in the UK Super League.

Contractual arrangements with Catalans had stopped him considering any sort of playing deal until now, but Jones did play a part with the Warriors this season as kicking coach and mentor for the club's young halves.

Despite now being 32 years of age, Jones is confident he'll be ready to foot it with the best in the NRL and is excited about his return.

"I've had one year off and it was a very long thought decision. It's small steps at a time so we'll see how we go," Jones said.

"It wasn't an easy decision to make, I had to think about what could go wrong. At the end of the day I had to ask myself 'am I keen to play?' and the answer was yes."

If you're worried about his age there's no need to be. Brett Kimmorley, who has just signed for the Bulldogs, is also 32 years old and is still one of the league's best.

The NRL veteran of 238 games adds to an already stacked halves contingent, amongst contenders like Grant Rovelli, Nathan Fien, Lance Hohaia and new signing Joel Moon.

But Cleary remained coy about just how much game time Jones will see in 2009 - perhaps a sign he will be more of a player/mentor than an every week starter.

His last game for the Warriors was against Manly on August 27, 2005 when he scored a try on his last touch of the game.

Jones was named the Warriors' first life member in 2005 and still holds records for most games (238), most points (654), most tries (75) and most field goals (12).

Despite already being the biggest legend the club has ever seen, the Little General is thirsty for more.

"When I finished (in the NRL) my body was in good condition, it was more of a mental thing.

"I accept I have a lot of work to do to get back to NRL standard but I really want to give this a shot.

"I'm still only 32 so I feel there's time left for me to have another crack now, especially after having a year off. I feel fresh."

Saw him at a netball game (magic vs steel) and he didn't look too happy NOT being in the limelight. He almost looked lost.

Who the hell watches Netball, let alone go to a game?

Warriors have a good list, but will miss the presence of Wiki. Lucky Price is playing for another year.

Latest posts