The Masters

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
So its that time of the year, the first major of the 2013 is about to take place and in my opinion the best of all.

The Masters Championship from Augusta International.

It always amazes me how stunning this course looks and the history and heritage of the place, I would love to attend this tournament, just to soak up the atmosphere. It has a certain magic, with the US and British Opens just can't replicate. There is always someone who comes from nowhere to make a name for themselves, and with Rory struggling and Tiger regaining the number 1 spot, it make this years tournament an even more mesmerising event to watch. I personally can't wait!!!

Tiger, Harrington and Donald are all looking good for me to be contending on Sunday. Mickelson and McIlroy can't be ignored though and maybe Westwood if he gets his putting right.

The golf at the Masters is always better as well due to the difficulty of British and US open courses where as a few holes in Augusta allow the players to really attack the pins.

Yeah I can't wait for this one!!

Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Louis Oosthuizen, Trevor Immelman, Charl Schwartzel and Tim Clark will be part of the South African contingent this year, but look out for Branden Grace, the new guy on the block for SA. he has now won the SA Open 2 years running and is in great form, this is his first year playing in the US and only started last year on the European tour...

If there is one guy I can't stand, it's Phil Mickelson, if he wins it again, I'm not going to watch it for the next 4 years!!

Anybody
But
Woods

If there is one guy I can't stand, it's Phil Mickelson, if he wins it again, I'm not going to watch it for the next 4 years!!

I go the Open every year and have met him, just to say hello to, many times. He is one of the nicest of the pro's and can often be seen signing autographs for hours and is one of the Yanks, with Furyk, Davis Love and a few others, who are seen out and about in the pubs particularly at the Scottish hosted venues. He was eating a subway with his caddie and friends at St Andrews at the back of the 18th and he went around collecting the wrapping and bottles from them to put them in the bin......before walking off back to his Hotel - no limo and armed guard for him!!

I was lucky enough to go to Augusta for the Masters the year that Faldo beat that Yank in the play off....it is an absolutely amazing place to see once in your life.

Everything is reasonably priced and comes in green.....the cups for the beer, the sandwich wrapping, the sand used for divots etc........only problem was that it was the wettest for many a year and the flowers were not at the beautiful best..............sat in front of the sixth tee as they tee'd off over your head and had great view of the short 16th as well.....Memories!!

Last edited:
Par 3 tounament on.....

Guy called Jack Fleck just got a par......nothing unusual about that.......except he is 93!!!!

Paul Lawrie's 15 year old son got kinda tongue tied when interviewed by Kirsty Gallagher......guess I would be to and I am a lot nearer Jack Fleck's age!!

Oh and McIlroy's caddie is some one called Wosniacki?

Par 3 tounament on.....

Guy called Jack Fleck just got a par......nothing unusual about that.......except he is 93!!!!

Paul Lawrie's 15 year old son got kinda tongue tied when interviewed by Kirsty Gallagher......guess I would be to and I am a lot nearer Jack Fleck's age!!

Oh and McIlroy's caddie is some one called Wosniacki?

It's brilliant watching the great of the game go around.

Lawrie's son is the spit of him, poor lad. :D

I go the Open every year for the whole week but always, always have sat through the Masters as long as it has been televised I reckon......the greatest show in the world of sport bar none...well to me anyway!!

I go the Open every year for the whole week but always, always have sat through the Masters as long as it has been televised I reckon......the greatest show in the world of sport bar none...well to me anyway!!

Yeah even through watching it on television, you really get a sense of the history about the place and the passion the players put into it, its a step above all the other majors. I'd love to go one year, it must be unbelievable in person.

2 Hole-in-ones during the Par 3 Tournament...

Good way to start off the weekend.

the only thing I hate about the Masters, is the Monday morning afterwards. very little sleep and then off to work... Time Zones are a *****!!

Colin Montgomery on preview really, really hoped that Tianlun Guan at 14 would be able to at least break 80.......Guan scored 73....great, great score and what a cool character!! They say a 12 year old has qualified from China in the HSBC run tornament there later in the year..............!! These guys could play in 50 odd Masters before they reach retirement age............

Great first day and only real disappointment was Rory dropping some simple shots through short putts......roll on Sunday as this could be a cracking year with Garcia, Johnson, Woods, Mickleson, Kuchar and several others (including maybe a few South Africans!!!) in contention.

Colin Montgomery on preview really, really hoped that Tianlun Guan at 14 would be able to at least break 80.......Guan scored 73....great, great score and what a cool character!! They say a 12 year old has qualified from China in the HSBC run tornament there later in the year..............!! These guys could play in 50 odd Masters before they reach retirement age............

Great first day and only real disappointment was Rory dropping some simple shots through short putts......roll on Sunday as this could be a cracking year with Garcia, Johnson, Woods, Mickleson, Kuchar and several others (including maybe a few South Africans!!!) in contention.

Yeah my guys started slowly, with Trevor Immelman doing the best of the lot with 4 under... I hear there's a thunderstorm ahead, which could be a total game changer on day 2...

Saw an odd one today. Jim Furyk drained a HUGE put on the 3rd hole, but the flagstick was still in the hole.

I thought that was illegal...

[TEXTAREA]RULE 17-3. Ball Striking Flagstick or Attendant

The player's ball must not strike:

a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;

b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or

c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green. [/TEXTAREA]

He was definitely on the green when he putted, and the ball went in the hole so it must have touched the flagstick

Last edited:
Saw an odd one today. Jim Furyk drained a HUGE put on the 3rd hole, but the flagstick was still in the hole.

I thought that was illegal...

[TEXTAREA]RULE 17-3. Ball Striking Flagstick or Attendant

The player's ball must not strike:

a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;

b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or

c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green. [/TEXTAREA]

He was definitely on the green when he putted, and the ball went in the hole so it must have touched the flagstick

The Flagstick can remain in the hole if the person who has to make the put asks to have it in the hole due to an obstruction, or if he cannot see the hole while on the green.

This actually happened about a month or 2 ago in SA on the Sunshine Tour where the golfer couldn't see the hole due to the green being a bit of a mountain and he was at the bottom...

The Flagstick can remain in the hole if the person who has to make the put asks to have it in the hole due to an obstruction, or if he cannot see the hole while on the green.

This actually happened about a month or 2 ago in SA on the Sunshine Tour where the golfer couldn't see the hole due to the green being a bit of a mountain and he was at the bottom...

Normally, under those circumstances, his caddie would "tend the flagstick" but he still had to remove it before the ball arrived, and if he didn't, and the ball hit the flagstick, it was a two stroke penalty.

Normally, under those circumstances, his caddie would "tend the flagstick" but he still had to remove it before the ball arrived, and if he didn't, and the ball hit the flagstick, it was a two stroke penalty.

As usual, you are correct in what you say and must admit did not see it.....there is nothing on the Masters websie so presumably no one else noticed or he was deemed to be off the green? If it had been brought to their attention and found that he was on the green, hit the pin, and failed to add the penalty, he would have been disqualified for singing for the wrong score.

The Irish really aren't having a good time, our amateur Dunbar is bottom of the pile at +11, Harrington on +6, McDowell on +2 and Mcilroy on E hardly being able to putt does not make good reading.

So come on Sergio. :D

US Commentators on Sky Red Button just said that Thorbjorn Oleson may get relief, after carting it to the right at 15th, from the "Patrons Observation Platforms".....or Grandstands as we, not is Pseuds Corner, know them!!!

PS Rory dropped two shots by hole 4 today to be T48 at +2 and cut at T50...........better make a comeback on back nine!!

As usual, you are correct in what you say and must admit did not see it.....there is nothing on the Masters website so presumably no one else noticed or he was deemed to be off the green? If it had been brought to their attention and found that he was on the green, hit the pin, and failed to add the penalty, he would have been disqualified for singing for the wrong score.

Here you go Tony

[video=dailymotion;xyyl67]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyyl67_is-this-against-the-rules-of-golf-17-3-c_sport#.UWhi7zeU9nM[/video]

Looks like he's on the green to me, unless he's on the fringe and the fringe is so short that you can't tell.

Its a great putt for sure, but.....?

Here you go Tony

Looks like he's on the green to me, unless he's on the fringe and the fringe is so short that you can't tell.

Its a great putt for sure, but.....?

That is the 6th Hole if I am not mistaken and having watched more or less every player go through there for two days from in front of the tee.......I think that there is a good deal of fringe on that particular green!!

In additon the player n the red pants and his caddie were in such a good position, they owuld have said something at the time.

Mind you hell of a putt as he is about 10 feet below the hole!!

We have Colin Montgomery pontificating on the TV commentary at the moment and he is bloody awful and far too verbose...now arguing that the "post shot" routine is more important than the "pre shot" routine.....what is that all about?

Latest posts