The name?

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by Dave Davies, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Pretty sure the press know about the history of the crusaders because if they didn't it wouldn't be an issue........

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Larksea

Larksea First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

it's interesting.
    honestly i had no idea what Crusader was in reference too for a long time. Its only the last 10 years or so I have really become interested in History, geography and historical conflict and become more well read in such subjects.
    Knowing what I do now I find it hard to fathom why they ever thought it was an appropriate name. Even before the attack. More so because it doesn't really fit in with the region, its not something associated with the region, the people or the time we live in. Maybe when you look back in history the word "crusade" has been mistakenly identified as something related to heroism or the pursuit of a righteous cause.
    I say change it, it's just a name.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

It isn't just a name though, it's a brand. It would be changing the name, the logo, the badges, the kits etc...

Batman is the Caped Crusader. But the he has no religious connection. A crusader is perhaps connected to the Crusades of the 1400's. But since then the word "crusader" have been used for other things not connected to religion.

I think it would be better to keep the name, but rather change the look of the the team. Remove any and all religious connections to the brand.

It seems like the team from Christchurch are on a crusade for another Super Rugby title...

5. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

and that's one of the options they're looking at, keep the name but drop the iconography that firmly connects the team to to Crusading knights

6. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

The crusaders are modelled off of the crusaders of yesteryear . They have dudes dressed up as the knights of the crusades running around the field on horseback before their games.

I’ve been saying their name isn’t ok since 1996.

7. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

No, the name Christchurch doesn’t imply a blind need to kill Muslims

8. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

• Like Like x 1
  9. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

I’ve been against the name since 1996. What you have to realise is the whole brand is modelled around the knights of the crusades, not anything to do with the more generic meaning of crusade . What a great time to change it, but I thought I read it isn’t happening.

Noting also that the campaign to keep the name and the associated Facebook page and petition was started by a white supremecist group.

edit: I thought this was a new thread. No doubt I’ve just repeated myself. And failed to actually read the one new post

10. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Without researching this, which I might actually. I always thought the actual word ‘crusade’ was created well before the religious crusades and was merely ‘used’ by the Holy Roman Church in a form of early propaganda.

In reference to the team and it’s use though, I’m pretty sure they took the name referring to the religious connotation... not so much from the war with Muslims angle but from the fight for Christianity position, it is a clear reference to the city of Christchurch (I honestly dont think there is a more Christian sounding city in the world) and I guess they wanted a brand which connected to that.

We are in a different time now though, and I’d honestly be surprised if they kept the moniker... not that I think they should change it (or shouldn’t for that matter) just that they will.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  11. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Sanity prevails!

They realised the name isn't just a name, but a brand. It would've been a big mess if they got rid of anything. By removing the knight and the sword, they are essentially removing the religious connotation that comes with it.

With that said, the article mentions, that this was the first step. So it will be interesting to see what they do next. My guess is that they will incorporate some kind of rugby-themed logo.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose First XV

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

Happy enough with that. Crusaders is not a loaded term, the branding wasnt loaded. It was the combination of the name and the branding that made it loaded, particularly given the name of the city. Removing the knights aspect is sufficient in my book to break the negative connotations.

13. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

agreed, they could have just as easily changed the name to the Knights and keep a more generic (less christian) Knight...but i guys the names is whats on all those trophies

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!