The name?

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by Dave Davies, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Pretty sure the press know about the history of the crusaders because if they didn't it wouldn't be an issue........

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Larksea

Larksea First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

it's interesting.
    honestly i had no idea what Crusader was in reference too for a long time. Its only the last 10 years or so I have really become interested in History, geography and historical conflict and become more well read in such subjects.
    Knowing what I do now I find it hard to fathom why they ever thought it was an appropriate name. Even before the attack. More so because it doesn't really fit in with the region, its not something associated with the region, the people or the time we live in. Maybe when you look back in history the word "crusade" has been mistakenly identified as something related to heroism or the pursuit of a righteous cause.
    I say change it, it's just a name.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

It isn't just a name though, it's a brand. It would be changing the name, the logo, the badges, the kits etc...

Batman is the Caped Crusader. But the he has no religious connection. A crusader is perhaps connected to the Crusades of the 1400's. But since then the word "crusader" have been used for other things not connected to religion.

I think it would be better to keep the name, but rather change the look of the the team. Remove any and all religious connections to the brand.

It seems like the team from Christchurch are on a crusade for another Super Rugby title...

5. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

and that's one of the options they're looking at, keep the name but drop the iconography that firmly connects the team to to Crusading knights

6. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

The crusaders are modelled off of the crusaders of yesteryear . They have dudes dressed up as the knights of the crusades running around the field on horseback before their games.

I’ve been saying their name isn’t ok since 1996.

7. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

No, the name Christchurch doesn’t imply a blind need to kill Muslims

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!