• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next All Blacks Coach

Mikel92

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Kind of bored so just thought I might get some discussion happening. Not limited to NZ posters, would be keen to get some other perspectives as always. Who do you reckon will be the All Blacks coach post-Rugby World Cup next year? It has certainly been noted by journalists that the President of the NZ rugby board wants Steve Hansen to stay. For how long, I'm not sure. The article can be found here,

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...teve-Hansen-set-to-sign-beyond-next-World-Cup

Some of the players for example (like Conrad Smith I think?) are staying for at least another year after the World Cup. Of course Hansen has achieved an amazing record with the All Blacks and that would be fantastic. Very successful as sole coach, and under Henry. He certainly hasn't ruled it out. I'm just curious, who are you keen to see coach the ABs beyond the World Cup? I can see many advantages to Hansen staying, but I just question the longevity of it if he does. Surely it's wise to keep fresh. If Daryl Gibson landed the job for example, we might get two or three World Cups out of him. Don't think it'd be that many for Hansen. By the way, Gibson has expressed his desire to coach internationally and apparently he turned down an opportunity to work with Chekia to coach the Wallabies. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ibson-sets-sights-on-all-blacks-coaching-role

Other possible contenders might include Dave Rennie, Ian Foster (I hope not), Robbie Deans, McLean. As for their desires to coach again in NZ, or what their contract allows, I have no idea about Cotter, Schmidt, and Gatland. Personally I've always like Rennie, who has been successful at a variety of different levels. 3 ***les with the Under-20's, 2 ***les with the Chiefs. I think Gibson's impact as a backs coach is obvious. The Crusaders have been going side to side without him, and look who won the Super Rugby ***le this year. Perhaps a Rennie-Gibson combo? Although totally untested, haha.

Can't see them going past Hansen though. Theres an article a few weeks back where they said they don't even care how the ABs do at the World Cup, they wanna keep him. Who would you like to see? Or if you aren't a Kiwi, who do you reckon would be good for us to lead us into the future?

If we haven't tied him down for a record 20 year contract Schmidt is probably the best choice.

Unite him with Gibbes again and somehow make New Zealand even scarier.

I would like to see this team from 20-16 onwards

Head Coach - Dave Rennie (currently at the Chiefs)
Back Coach - Darryl Gibson (currently at the Waratahs)
Forwards Coach - Mick Byrne (currently at the Blues)

Byrne would double as kicking coach, a position he currently holds with the Blues)

Alternatives

Backs Coach - Aaron Mauger
Forwards Coach - Dave Hewett

(Both currently at the Crusaders; Mauger would also double as Kicking Coach)

Last edited:
Who can we have after Gatland? Wayne Smith? Maybe we can rope in Mauger after his time at Leicester.

Martin Johnson reprising his time in the Land of the Big White Cloud..............

I think it would probably be one off the coaches in the super 15 who will take over. Maybe someone like Dave Rennie or Todd Blackadder

I would like to see this team from 20-16 onwards

Head Coach - Dave Rennie (currently at the Chiefs)
Back Coach - Darryl Gibson (currently at the Waratahs)
Forwards Coach - Mick Byrne (currently at the Blues)

Byrne would double as kicking coach, a position he currently holds with the Blues)

Alternatives

Backs Coach - Aaron Mauger
Forwards Coach - Dave Hewett

(Both currently at the Crusaders; Mauger would also double as Kicking Coach)

Not happening. Hansen will be retained.

Not happening. Hansen will be retained.

Yep, but I'm speculating about what might happen after he leaves/retires.

There has to be a "Life after Shag". He's not immortal! What if he has a recurrence of his skin cancer scare?

cool something to keep the brain on rugby, thanks Mikel92. If I had my dream team it would be Cotter and Schmidt, they worked well together for Bay of Plenty years ago in NZ. Cotter also worked successfully with Robbie Deans at the Crusaders, it would be nice to bring Robbie back into the fold. Ideally if I had to make the call I would take a Cotter and Schmidt combo with Rennie as the assistant (if he is not available) bring Wayne Smith in. After a year or 2 out of the group I would bring in Hanson as a selector which has been perhaps his main strength. cheers

I think it would probably be one off the coaches in the super 15 who will take over. Maybe someone like Dave Rennie or Todd Blackadder

I would rather have John Mitchell coach the ABs again before Blackadder gets anywhere near that team.

cool something to keep the brain on rugby, thanks Mikel92. If I had my dream team it would be Cotter and Schmidt, they worked well together for Bay of Plenty years ago in NZ. Cotter also worked successfully with Robbie Deans at the Crusaders, it would be nice to bring Robbie back into the fold. Ideally if I had to make the call I would take a Cotter and Schmidt combo with Rennie as the assistant (if he is not available) bring Wayne Smith in. After a year or 2 out of the group I would bring in Hanson as a selector which has been perhaps his main strength. cheers
Sorry, but that ain't happening as we are happy with him :)

I'd be very pleased if we could nick Schmidt back - but I'd be more than happy for Dave Rennie to be given a shot. Hansen will almost certainly be retained till the Lions tour and most likely 2019. After that I'd imagine he'd pack it in.

Whoever they pick, I'd like to see Wayne Smith involved again in some capacity. in the coaching setup (maybe with Dave Rennie as the head coach) ... Robbie Deans could still be an option, although he'd have to play nice with others, and would not be universally accepted within NZ.

... Maybe bring McCaw in to the Crusaders coaching setup (if he's interested) and try and fast track him up the coaching ranks (not to replace Hansen, but for later down the track)

At the moment the rankings for me for head coach would look something like:

1. Rennie
2. Schmidt
3. Cotter
4. Blackadder
5. Foster
6. Gatland

Mostly it depends on who is available at the time.

Whoever they pick, I'd like to see Wayne Smith involved again in some capacity. in the coaching setup (maybe with Dave Rennie as the head coach) ... Robbie Deans could still be an option, although he'd have to play nice with others, and would not be universally accepted within NZ.

... Maybe bring McCaw in to the Crusaders coaching setup (if he's interested) and try and fast track him up the coaching ranks (not to replace Hansen, but for later down the track)

Yeah, I had thought of this idea as well. At least if we went with a Smith/Rennie combo then we wouldn't be getting a bunch of guys who are new to the top level. And we'd be getting a familiar combination. Maybe they could keep Aussie McLean in there as defensive coach so someone from the Hansen tenure is retained. It would make a lot of sense. I'm not sure whether Smith wants to be involved in the set up again. He might have to be made head coach to be interested.

As for Aaron Mauger, hmm bit iffy. Maybe as a kicking coach sure, but nothing more. Was never sold on him as a player, and even less sold as a coach. Guess we'll see how he goes abroad.

I'd hate to see Blackadder as an option of All Blacks head coach - I don't even think he's good enough to be the Crusaders coach. Foster is another one who I think would be an awful option as head coach (regardless of the success he has with Hansen) - both Blackadder and Foster have shown an inability to produce winning teams despite having many years to build it. Blackadder inherited arguably the best club rugby team in the world - and he has just driven them downhill. Foster had 8 years of not succeeding with the Chiefs, before Rennie took over and then won back to back ***les.

Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith would be a great option. Schmidt has proven how good he is at coaching successfully in both club rugby and has looked extremely positive in international rugby. So for me it's really just those as options. I like Vern Cotter but I think he probably has a bit more to prove. I don't particularly want Gatland.

Latest posts