• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next All Blacks Coach

I would rather have John Mitchell coach the ABs again before Blackadder gets anywhere near that team.

May they both rest in peace.
Blackadder is possibly the most stupid human in the world who can still remember to breathe.

In all seriousness... I wouldn't mind Robbie Deans. I think he was hard done by the Wallabies poor quality front 5 from which he could choose and don't even get me started on the interjections by Fox Sports and the rest of the media in Australia. Deans led Crusaders to great success in the Super Rugby franchise and brought out players like McCaw and DC to be the best players in the last decade as well.

I'd hate to see Blackadder as an option of All Blacks head coach - I don't even think he's good enough to be the Crusaders coach. Foster is another one who I think would be an awful option as head coach (regardless of the success he has with Hansen) - both Blackadder and Foster have shown an inability to produce winning teams despite having many years to build it. Blackadder inherited arguably the best club rugby team in the world - and he has just driven them downhill. Foster had 8 years of not succeeding with the Chiefs, before Rennie took over and then won back to back ***les.

Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith would be a great option. Schmidt has proven how good he is at coaching successfully in both club rugby and has looked extremely positive in international rugby. So for me it's really just those as options. I like Vern Cotter but I think he probably has a bit more to prove. I don't particularly want Gatland.

Yeah I think this sums it up well. My first choice, based on a lot of success in Europe, would be Schmidt. But if he isn't interested then I'd like to see Rennie/Smith. Arguably the latter might be more appropriate in a way, since they are more 'fresh with the local scene'. Plus someone outside of Wikato country for good measure - perhaps Gibson or McLean. Not sure if they'd have two backs coaches in the fold though.

While we were the only NZ team to be in the final this year, the Crusaders have been disappointing under Blackadder. Frankly we were kinda lucky to be there, cause our backline has been pretty awful the last few years. Making the semis, and at a stretch - the final every year is nice, but it gets a little old if you can't win it. If Blackadder didn't have so many All Blacks at his disposal, I bet he'd be exposed even more.

If we were desperate, Gatland might make a handy defence coach or something. But I think we'll have much better options after the World Cup.

Last edited:
Rennie and Smith (again).

I think Gatland has burned too many bridges to be considered a future all black coach.

If I remember correctly Rennie has indicated he is likely to head overseas in a couple of years, maybe spend some time with another international team. The NZRU tend to prefer a head coach who has already coached at international level.

just a question: how do you kiwis feel people (in NZ) would take it if the NZRU picked a non-NZ headcoach ? Would it be seen as an embarrassment, or something too awkward generally speaking, or something along the lines of a big sign of a decline and "what is the world coming to ?"...?

For me it makes more sense to appoint a NZ (based) coach for the AB's as they have a much better feeling of what's going in in domestic and super rugby.

I would rather have John Mitchell coach the ABs again before Blackadder gets anywhere near that team.

**** that, never ever again will that sack of **** Mitchell coach the AB's, I hope someone stabs his eyes out with a pencil.

just a question: how do you kiwis feel people (in NZ) would take it if the NZRU picked a non-NZ headcoach ? Would it be seen as an embarrassment, or something too awkward generally speaking, or something along the lines of a big sign of a decline and "what is the world coming to ?"...?

Wouldn't be a fan at all. They would have to be an exceptional candidate.

It would make headlines as the national disgrace for at least a month :D There was so much Canterbury vs Auckland venom when Robbie Deans applied for the position after our 2007 World Cup result. And that was very heated at times, to the point some Canterbury supporters actually just supported the Wallabies when he landed that job instead. So, yeah. Imagine if a fella from another country came in. But...luckily I don't think we'll need to worry about that. We *should* be fine, provided they don't all want to go overseas haha.

k that's what I thought guys. Always interesting to gather info and analyze the cultural differences in how one people would perceive a specific event/action, and how another people would take it a completely different way. In NZ, Rugby is a religion so everything needs to be local. Over here, provided the foreign coach speaks French fairly well of course, it'd be alright, unless he's English, for obvious reasons. But we don't really know much about Aussies or Saffers at all in France for e.g., and NZ=Rugby for us, simple as that, and we'd likely welcome a kiwi just about alright, especially with the subsequent results that would come. Not to pass judgment whatsoever, but NZ is a small nation where the people have enormous expectations from their national team, and the 'local community' spirit is everything it seems. France is a country that's been open to immigration for the past century roughly and people have a very easy time here accepting others as their own. Heck, in Rugby for e.g. very few people have a hard time accepting foreigners in the national team. The "France for the French !" attitude has disappeared a long time ago, and now this'll get far too off-topic but a crazy-rough sketch goes French Revolution+ Hippie 1960's emancipation of everything/everybody - it's this typical Gallic free spirit, while Common Wealth nations have kept a very traditional, old school values system where country and identity are everything.
I'm going to bed now.

lol you would have more luck finding Bigfoot than a foreigner coaching the ABs ,foreign coaches would have a hard time trying to find their way into a super rugby team let alone our national one. Plus there would be better money anywhere but NZ. Coaches and players don't stay for the money. They stay for the lifestyle the love of the game and the love of the jersey, that's the only thing keeping these guys here instead of earning good $$$$ in Europe or Japan same goes for coaches I would guess (it's not the most exciting place to live unless your into rugby or born here)

Last edited:
k that's what I thought guys. Always interesting to gather info and analyze the cultural differences in how one people would perceive a specific event/action, and how another people would take it a completely different way. In NZ, Rugby is a religion so everything needs to be local. Over here, provided the foreign coach speaks French fairly well of course, it'd be alright, unless he's English, for obvious reasons. But we don't really know much about Aussies or Saffers at all in France for e.g., and NZ=Rugby for us, simple as that, and we'd likely welcome a kiwi just about alright, especially with the subsequent results that would come. Not to pass judgment whatsoever, but NZ is a small nation where the people have enormous expectations from their national team, and the 'local community' spirit is everything it seems. France is a country that's been open to immigration for the past century roughly and people have a very easy time here accepting others as their own. Heck, in Rugby for e.g. very few people have a hard time accepting foreigners in the national team. The "France for the French !" attitude has disappeared a long time ago, and now this'll get far too off-topic but a crazy-rough sketch goes French Revolution+ Hippie 1960's emancipation of everything/everybody - it's this typical Gallic free spirit, while Common Wealth nations have kept a very traditional, old school values system where country and identity are everything.
I'm going to bed now.

Yeah for sure, New Zealand likes to keep the systems and people at the top end pretty organic/local. I guess it's just a sport that the colonial settlers took to very well, and probably added some physicality/flair thanks to the Maori, etc. That would be my guess anyway. We've built up such a culture around rugby that we enjoy the depth that we have today, and it seems pointless to have an outsider come in.

If there is one criticism of NZ, it's that people can be too narrow minded and be a bit suspicious of anything coming from off shore. You see that a lot in politics. But outside of Rugby that 'local' mindset isn't so prevalent. We've had coaches in Basketball, Hockey and Soccer all from different parts of the world! We do punch above our weight in sports, but it's always good to get a different perspective than our own. We are very small after all!

if Hanson wins the RWC... he will definitely stay on to see if he can be the 1st Head coach to win it back to back... which is very possible

i'd like to see King Richard coach the AB at some stage...

if Hanson wins the RWC... he will definitely stay on to see if he can be the 1st Head coach to win it back to back... which is very possible

i'd like to see King Richard coach the AB at some stage...

Richie won't become coach for a while he will be too busy leading the ABs until the 2023 RWC

You heard it here first! Richie to go back2back 2 back2back.

Err, as much as I love Ricchie (and he certainly still has it), I hope by 2023 a guy like Matt Todd will be there.

Err, as much as I love Ricchie (and he certainly still has it), I hope by 2023 a guy like Matt Todd will be there.

Todd is 26 now I don't think he will be around in 2023, Ardie Savea or Sam cane are the future 7s at this point IMO.

Gatland would be a great contender to replace Hansen, let's say we chuck in a free toaster?
Granted, you'd see Frank Halai become a 50 cap wing and Fruean start every test.

Wasn't really covered here but Hansen has had his contract extended until 2017.

What I'm expecting is one of Cotter, Schmidt, Deans, Penney etc. to return to New Zealand after the World Cup and take over one of the Super Rugby teams (the Chiefs, Highlanders and Crusaders could all be looking for coaches). Once Hansen finishes up in 2017 we will see one of these recently returned coaches take over.

Latest posts