• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next great fly half

coh

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Leinster
Now it's almost impossible to argue that Dan Carter is not the most dominant fly half in the world right, but this is most arguably his last world cup and he will no doubt start to fade in the coming years. Which brings me to the point of whose will take Carter's reign in world rugby? From the south, most would find Quade Cooper a worthy successor, but I find his kicking a little lacking. From the north Toby Flood looked poised to take a stab at developing exponential potential, but outside of test rugby, he has been average at best. My bet for the next dominant force in rugby is Ireland's Johnny Sexton; as his kicking is superb and his poise on the field is no doubt world class. Let me know what you think.

Quade Cooper is a country mile ahead of all contenders atm

Flood won't, he'll be decent, but not the best in the world - doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure anymore (despite doing fine earlier on in his career), hopefully for England's sake he'll grow out of that though :p
Same with Sexton (though he can handle the pressure much better than Flood these days, I don't think he'll be the best in the world ever)

I think alot of people forget that Quade Cooper can't tackle. I was actually shocked by his (lack of) tackling in the Autumn game against England. I specifically remember Ben youngs brushing him aside.

He's put in some good hits in the Super XV this season - his defence is definitely improving

Aaron Cruden, Patrick Lambie, Quade Cooper. - This generation.

Gareth Anscombe, George Ford. - Next generation.

Juan Martín Hernández at his best around 2006-2007 would be the second best, but has been injured for pretty much three years (Wilkinson style) non stop so it's impossible to judge how good he is now

shame as he was just 25 at the end of the 2007 World Cup

juan_martin_hernandez_gallery__513x400-420x0.jpg

Juan Martín Hernández at his best around 2006-2007 would be the second best, but has been injured for pretty much three years (Wilkinson style) non stop so it's impossible to judge how good he is now

shame as he was just 25 at the end of the 2007 World Cup

juan_martin_hernandez_gallery__513x400-420x0.jpg

More than a shame... utterly tragic.

I´d still say he´s number 2 in 2011. Too many of the guys out there have weaknesses that are too important. Quade Cooper on defense has been pointed out. Wilkinson as a runner is another as is Trinh-Duc as a goalkicker. All can be forgotten with adequate teammates. For me Hernández and Carter are in a class of their own. I´d buy one of these two if I had the means and wanted to dominated the rugby world.

Top 5
1 Carter
2 JMH
3 Trinh-Duc
4 Hook
5 Cooper

James Hook fourth best fly-half in the world? Say what?

If Cooper can deliver on his attacking promise all the time and get his game management right, he'll probably be the next greatest. Nobody's going to care that much about his defence if he does that. At the moment, there's a lot of very solid fly-halves but few out and out game winners.

The next generation promises to be interesting and to be honest I think is more likely to turn up a name. Obviously there's Cruden and Lambie down under, both of whom have the potential to go a long long way, while up north there's Morgan, Ford and Paddy Jackson all 19 or under, all of them with first team rugby under their belts. All of that three are pretty small though.

Quade Cooper is fast becoming one of the best players i've ever seen. No doubt at the current rate he will reach similar heights of Carter. He obviously hasn't done that yet, Carter has proven over the years that he is one of the most reliable players out there, and still is. Quade is still 23 and has a long career ahead of him to prove himself.

Carter is only 29! Unless he gets badly injured this is not his last W.C.

Cooper will take over his mantle.

I think the next level will be O'Connor despite him maybe not playing there. Lambie and Sexton. Sexton doesn't stand out in any aspect (despite having a 90% success rate in the H Cup) but is oveall very well balanced.

Wilkinson is still up there in my opinon, displays for Toulon and in the 6nations this year prove that. My opinion only obviously. Ones for the future...Colin Slade, Sexton, Lambie, George Ford

after Quade Cooper i think its Gareth Anscombe

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are that Dan Carter will play union longer than Quade Cooper ... Quade, along with Sonny-Bill Williams, have the same agent, and only sign one year deals, and may both go to league in a 2 for 1 deal, after 2012

Got a soft spot for Tyler Bleyendaal, think he'll thrive at Crusaders under Carter. Trinh-Duc is only 24 and as said before his lack of goal kicking isn't such an issue seeing as on his international side Morgan Parra (who he'll be paired with for a good number of years in my opinion) has an absolutely solid boot. Both Sexton and Flood will be serious contenders. For the next few years the 6 Nations will be very interesting in terms of the dominant 10.

Cooper is clearly the star contender and a player with incredible flair. I'm just curious to see how he performs this World Cup. Under serious targeting from a side with a lot of big men I could see his game collapsing. (Thinking Abendanon vs Leicester style)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are that Dan Carter will play union longer than Quade Cooper ... Quade, along with Sonny-Bill Williams, have the same agent, and only sign one year deals, and may both go to league in a 2 for 1 deal, after 2012

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is definately something not being picked up on.

As far as I am awear (I can't believe I've forgotten how to spell.), Cooper is yet to commit his future to Union, is this correct?

Daniel Carter probably has another World Cup left in him after this (he probably won't be at his best). I'd agree with ranger that Beuden Barrett is going to be a class player. I can't see Cruden becoming world class in the next few years, while I think Anscombe has all the skills to be the best but he really underperformed in the last JWC (despite him getting best player) as he didn't run the backline as well as previous players like Cruden and Bleyendaal.

Quade Cooper is a very different player to Daniel Carter. Cooper can look amazing and then average within two weeks apart and his defense has never looked good. Daniel Carter always plays well. It's a bit similar to me as the argument of Carlos Spencer v Andrew Mehrtens. Mehrtens had the best kicking game in the world, was an underrated runner and would take contol of games. Spencer on the other hand pulled out little bits of tricky magic that no other player could/was dumb enough to try, and it paid off, but he was never consistant.

Latest posts