• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Next James O'Connor

Looks like an interesting prospect. Difficult to comment too much, because I don't have the best understanding on the level of HS rugby in South Africa (I think it's at a similar level to NZ - with probably a bigger following). Any idea if he'll be playing in the next IRB Junior Rugby World Cup?

I remember the name because he was well thought of despite being so young when he broke into the Kearsney team and was touted as being a contender for the Sharks u19 team when I left Durbz at the end of 2011... was unable to effectively follow schools happenings as a result but any follow up news is good news

As long as he doesn't fall in love with himself too much like the actual James O'Connor, he should be fine. :p

This is all well and good, but I don't think he'll make the cut...

Especially with Carel Du Plessis' son signing with the Sharks. Apparently he will be the next great fly half of the world.

Jean-Luc Du Plessis...

This is all well and good, but I don't think he'll make the cut...

Especially with Carel Du Plessis' son signing with the Sharks. Apparently he will be the next great fly half of the world.

Jean-Luc Du Plessis...

I know. WP losing more class youngsters... but what's new?- these guys will follow the gametime/money.

Also VERY early to be touting this guy at schoolboy level. Maybe if he gets time for the junior Bokke we'll see but the competition at schoolboy level in Natal?... not too much to go on IMO. He'll also be facing stiff competition for a berth at center/wing leval as SA has some class coming up through the ranks in those positions.

What we need is for some players to really make a step up in the props and at 9 IMO. But that's derailing the thread.

Last edited:
While WP was focussing on Handre Pollard, we managed to sneak Jean Luc out the back door ;)
We also have Rob du Preez's lad, Rob du Preez coming through. (Along with this younger twin brothers Jean-Luc and Daniel, flanker and second row)

He's crap. I would have said yes if he fended but using your shoulder to shrug off players at that level is perfectly acceptable, but try that in the Super 15 as a back and you're going to be smashed unless you're impossibly strong like Digby Ioane, Rene Ranger etc. Also some VERY suspect tackling, a lot of those were clearly illegal, as in driving their head to the ground and not 'safely' putting a lifted player to the floor. Those Du Plessis twins as well, they look alright, but again I'm not sure, being big at school level is nothing special and that's all they seem to possess.

Last edited:
I think James O'Connor still has a way to go for "the next JOC" to mean anything.

James O Connor was playing Super 14 when he was only 17 & Wallabies when he was 18 so this kid has a long way to go :)

Latest posts