• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next olympic sport?

Ice Hockey is a vast improvement with advent of HD TV.....at least I've never had an issue with it.

Just watching the NHL in this country is a pain in the arse.

Agreed. I tried to get into it back in the 90s, but found myself unable to follow the puck at the time. A couple of years ago, I caught a game in HD and was pleasantly surprised how much it improves with it. Two seasons ago, I then decided to sign up for NHL Game Center. Fortunately, the quality got even better when it became NHL.tv and at least so far, we've not been plagued with blackouts. Interestingly enough, I now can even follow the puck okishly when the quality is poor.

So the Olympic committee have bowed to political pressure and not banned Russia after conclusive evidence of widespread drug abuse as they are the next hosts!

Insult to the whole movement which has been closeted corrupt for decades but is now openly so.

Insult to those taking part in the games who are clean and have no idea if their competitors are clean or tainted.

Insult to the spectators who pay a fortune to travel and attend what are now really the murky games with no honor or credibility!

Not impressed by this as a volunteer of the 2012 games. Systematic doping needs to be widely condemned by the authorities.

It's less I have an issue with doping long term health issues aside. It's the level playing field of capable athletic performance that's important.

PS also an insult to those great people who give up their time to make the games happen!!

How on earth did that ever hold water? I've watched whole games of ice hockey and only had a vague clue where the puck was on two or three occasions! That doesn't seem to stop it being included in the winter Olympics or attracting decent TV audiences in countries where it is popular.

As someone once said, I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out. That's the attraction, puck all (sorry) to do with anything else!

I'd like to see the MMA but it's impossible because is too violence for the IOC

Nothing wrong with two of the three parts of Equestrian.

Synchronised Swimming is on my hitlist well golf first.

Bring in paintballing and I would watch every minute of it.

Not impressed by this as a volunteer of the 2012 games. Systematic doping needs to be widely condemned by the authorities.

It's less I have an issue with doping long term health issues aside. It's the level playing field of capable athletic performance that's important.
Sports is naturally not a level playing field though. For both natural (genetic) and artificial/nurture (resources, mainly money) reasons.

Health is by far the most important factor for me. Sportsmen and sportswomen shouldn't have to dope to stay competitive. If it was proven, with years of research and evidence backing it up, that a particular drug can confer physical advantages with no negative effects, then yeah, I'm okay with that.

So the Olympic committee have bowed to political pressure and not banned Russia after conclusive evidence of widespread drug abuse as they are the next hosts!

You'd best give the organising committee of Tokyo 2020 a quick call to break the news to them Russia's got the 2018 Wendyball World Cup, but not the OG.

On the drugs front my other 2 favourite sports are cycling and athletics, both of which have had huge problems. I was at the Olympic Stadium the other night cheering a World Record a couple of National Records, a few World Leads, Bolt etc. And yet behind every great performance there's always a question mark. Life bans is the only way for individuals, but there will always be problems until other countries take anti doping as seriously as we do here. In cycling, hats off to Sky for their zero tolerance stance.

Back on topic, squash is a great call.

You'd best give the organising committee of Tokyo 2020 a quick call to break the news to them Russia's got the 2018 Wendyball World Cup, but not the OG.

On the drugs front my other 2 favourite sports are cycling and athletics, both of which have had huge problems. I was at the Olympic Stadium the other night cheering a World Record a couple of National Records, a few World Leads, Bolt etc. And yet behind every great performance there's always a question mark. Life bans is the only way for individuals, but there will always be problems until other countries take anti doping as seriously as we do here. In cycling, hats off to Sky for their zero tolerance stance.

Back on topic, squash is a great call.

Carried away by the unfairness of it all.......thx for correction!

If baseball can't even be an Olympic sport anymore, I don't think jousting has much of a chance.

Personally, I'd like to see tug-of-war make a return to the games; 2020 will be the 100th anniversary of the last time it was there.

If baseball can't even be an Olympic sport anymore, I don't think jousting has much of a chance.

Personally, I'd like to see tug-of-war make a return to the games; 2020 will be the 100th anniversary of the last time it was there.

Why "even"? It fails the criteria of international participation and gender equality and once again an Olympic gold isn't the pinnacle of the sport.

Edit: it doesn't come out well on the anti-doping stakes either.

- - - Updated - - -

Carried away by the unfairness of it all.......thx for correction!

Albeit an incorrect correction! The next Olympics will be in Rio (as long as the Zika virus hasn't destroyed the country my then!)

- - - Updated - - -

Not a bad shout if you mean T20 or ODI. Gender equality isn't brilliant, but the women's game is reasonably established and it's more international than some would give it credit for being. The problems I see are getting it played in a short window and in countries with no cricketing tradition.

Last edited:
Not a bad shout if you mean T20 or ODI. Gender equality isn't brilliant, but the women's game is reasonably established and it's more international than some would give it credit for being. The problems I see are getting it played in a short window and in countries with no cricketing tradition.

Is there a big market for the olympics in India? Because adding cricket would certainly increase it. It would have to be T20, couldn't see ODIs being the chosen format

Is there a big market for the olympics in India? Because adding cricket would certainly increase it. It would have to be T20, couldn't see ODIs being the chosen format

But..........t20 is as much cricket as French Cricket or tip and run!!!!

Latest posts