• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next olympic sport?

I'm in the tug-of-war camp. It fits in well with how I see the Olympic Games and its requirements.

Other than that I'd like to see a medieval melee. Arms and armor. Maybe a tournament (totally seperate from the OGs) celebrting 'Western martial arts' heavily medieval-themed including items such as a melee, jousting, archery, boxing and/or wrestling, fencing, the tug-of-war etc possibly bringing back some elements of the 'worlds strongest man' event which seems to have disappeared at least from DSTV as far as I can see.

Is there a big market for the olympics in India? Because adding cricket would certainly increase it. It would have to be T20, couldn't see ODIs being the chosen format
Commonwealth games in Delhi did pretty well IIRC - far better than expected.
isn't india quite into field hockey?
Yes

I think the Indian sporting panthenon is something like Cricket >>> Hockey, Badminton > Squash >> Basketball > Equestrian, Tennis and some local martial arts who's name I can't remember > Anything else

T20 cricket and Squash really ought to be the short-listed next sports to add; MMA has a reasonable shout, but probably only at the expense of a different Judo &/ Taekwondo

Last edited:
Some of the ideas are great but variations on existing themes. Squash would be another racquet sport, MMA would be another from the combat family.

How about climbing? Never been an Olympic sport to my knowledge, but feels like one. Just man against the elements relying on physical prowess and wit with no need for loads of expensive kit. Any number of variations, speed, technical, indoor or out. A quick scoot up Nelson's column or Big Ben would have been brilliant in 2012.

Think the next sport will be anything Putin asks for, if the events of the last few days are anything to go by...

Chess, please.
I love watching live chess. It's awesome! Only chess enthusiasts will understand :D
Been playing chess for most of my life.

Latest posts