• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Old Firm in England?

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
I would just like to know other posters opinions/thoughts on the Old Firm possibly playing in English leagues.

About the same as I'd feel if Northern Ireland was part of the UK.... Oh wait.

No. Scottish football is ****, and Celtic & Rangers would bring nothing to the Prem, they'd be the same as Aston Villa. And Scotland is already football-obsessed enough (considering how **** they are), without the need to bring more furore to the place.

Should stay in the Scottish system unless they are willing to start from the bottom (Evostick leagues at least.. aka below the conferance)

Should stay in the Scottish system unless they are willing to start from the bottom (Evostick leagues at least.. aka below the conferance)

Aye, was thinking that

They wouldn't take anything less than being put in in the premier league, but don't deserve it

Also imagine that away trips to them would just end in tears....

For me it would be a kick in the teeth for all the current Football League sides if Celtic and Rangers just waltzed into the Championship at least. For me they would have to merit their inclusion and they would have to start where all the clubs start and that's in the regional English leagues, their progression would be similar but probably quicker than that of AFC Wimbledon.

If Rangers and Celtic joined the english league, neither would ever see champions league football again and both would finantially spiral into oblivion.

On that note, probably a good idea.

Mate if Celtic if managed to get into the premiership, we would not "spiral into oblivion". We would struggle at first due to our lack of top quality players compared to Man Utd etc, but over time we would grow. We have a wide fanbase worldwide and our ticket prices would shoot up, and we would get more money just from being in the premiership or championship and also we would attract investment, as we are a well known club with good fans and lots of potential.
And as for the common argument that Celtic and Rangers are pish, I assume you know the reason for that? The team that WINS the SPL gets LESS than the teams that get relegated from the premiership, and then because there is absolutely no money in Scottish football, no decent foreigners want to come. Its a joke, im telling you if the old firm went down to England, Celtic would do well OVER TIME due to reasons above. Dont know about Rangers though, they play the worst football ever seen :/
Also the sectarianist stuff, the media make out that every single celtic and rangers fan is a biggoted murderer. ********, it is a small perecentage of fans who are ruining the derby, the whole thing with Neil Lennon is shocking but the media make out like all rangers fans are capable of sending bombs to him. And with celtic they make us look like IRA-loving revolutionaries, again not true. Only groups of fans in the stadium sing songs like 'Boys of the Old Brigade' not all of us, and it seems worse when we play away from home as often alot of fans sing IRA songs but again that is only a small number of fans form the entire club.
Sectarianism is really bad in Glasgow but it should make little difference to the English clubs, as every time an English club plays us in the Champions League there is no sectarianism and little trouble. And lets not forget when we went to fulham, david healy gave sectarianist abuse towards us, and when Man City and Man United fans came down to Celtic, some of them were signig anti-Irish songs, so the problem does not just lie in the Old Firm.
However I understand that if we went to England, the Premiership would be taking a risk as if there was to be a lot of trouble at Old Firm games, it would look bad on the English game.

HAIL HAIL, WE ARE ALL NEIL LENNON
(Just to let you know as season ticket holder at parkhead, I do not want to go down to England unless it is by ourselves. The proposition of the Old Firm coming down would not be good for the us or the Englsih, but if we came down on our own, that would be good. But not going to happen as Rangers have now been bought over and are safe from folding.)

The only way Celtic could be financially viable in the English league is if every Dubliner and American stopped supporting Man United or Liverpool. They would never ever win anything. Just be another West Ham with a lot of overseas fans.

Mate if Celtic if managed to get into the premiership, we would not "spiral into oblivion". We would struggle at first due to our lack of top quality players compared to Man Utd etc, but over time we would grow. We have a wide fanbase worldwide and our ticket prices would shoot up, and we would get more money just from being in the premiership or championship and also we would attract investment, as we are a well known club with good fans and lots of potential.
And as for the common argument that Celtic and Rangers are pish, I assume you know the reason for that? The team that WINS the SPL gets LESS than the teams that get relegated from the premiership, and then because there is absolutely no money in Scottish football, no decent foreigners want to come. Its a joke, im telling you if the old firm went down to England, Celtic would do well OVER TIME due to reasons above. Dont know about Rangers though, they play the worst football ever seen :/
Also the sectarianist stuff, the media make out that every single celtic and rangers fan is a biggoted murderer. ********, it is a small perecentage of fans who are ruining the derby, the whole thing with Neil Lennon is shocking but the media make out like all rangers fans are capable of sending bombs to him. And with celtic they make us look like IRA-loving revolutionaries, again not true. Only groups of fans in the stadium sing songs like 'Boys of the Old Brigade' not all of us, and it seems worse when we play away from home as often alot of fans sing IRA songs but again that is only a small number of fans form the entire club.
Sectarianism is really bad in Glasgow but it should make little difference to the English clubs, as every time an English club plays us in the Champions League there is no sectarianism and little trouble. And lets not forget when we went to fulham, david healy gave sectarianist abuse towards us, and when Man City and Man United fans came down to Celtic, some of them were signig anti-Irish songs, so the problem does not just lie in the Old Firm.
However I understand that if we went to England, the Premiership would be taking a risk as if there was to be a lot of trouble at Old Firm games, it would look bad on the English game.

HAIL HAIL, WE ARE ALL NEIL LENNON
(Just to let you know as season ticket holder at parkhead, I do not want to go down to England unless it is by ourselves. The proposition of the Old Firm coming down would not be good for the us or the Englsih, but if we came down on our own, that would be good. But not going to happen as Rangers have now been bought over and are safe from folding.)

If you got into the Prem or championship you'd survive financially but if celtic or rangers did get into the english system they should be level 9/10 (conferance N/S is 7th tier) you wouldnt be able to have the players you do now there, even if you did the financial cost of keeping em on wages with the money you can get in those leagues it would only really be possible with a billionaire backer who fancies wasting alot of money... it would take 9 odd years of back to back promotions to get to the prem for the switch to have been a "good decision"

61,000 seater stadium filled week in week out, added to premiership TV revenues would give them some serious spending power.

They'd both be like Newcastle in the end.

61,000 seater stadium filled week in week out, added to premiership TV revenues would give them some serious spending power.

They'd both be like Newcastle in the end.

as in making a hell of a lot of noise based on no success, and being very annoying? case rested.

IMO for the good of the Scottish game they should go, I mean niether set actually sees themselves as being primarily Scottish anyway

In terms of where they should start in England, I don't care, so long as they are getting hammered the better :D

conal and the tuilagi brothers,you're both f***ing celtic fans,so i understand your exagerating and lying for them.......start in the championship and see how they do...f**k off,lets see if they can get out of the combination league division 5 north,rangers can be in the equivalent division 5 south and they can race to the premiership,should be there in about 20 years..:lol:.and as for saying only a tiny minority support the ira,what about the collections for the ira at parkhead.we english dont want celtic because they're celtic....and anti english and pro ira,and people down here still remember what the ira(your heros)did down here...pub bombings etc...so you can stay in the SPHell in the nearly independent scotland(thank f**k)and stagnate,wither and die.....ENGLAND FOREVER BRITAIN NEVER.
Haha, brilliant stuff. Didnt read it but love the spirit it was written in.

Welcome to the forum, you are going to fit right in :)

on the other hand it could give teams like west brom and norwich city easy wins something they rarely see.

the i.r.a are ****ing idiots the only people more retarted then them are the stupid scottish souporters who think they are representing their reiligon and all this ****.

If you got into the Prem or championship you'd survive financially but if celtic or rangers did get into the english system they should be level 9/10 (conferance N/S is 7th tier) you wouldnt be able to have the players you do now there, even if you did the financial cost of keeping em on wages with the money you can get in those leagues it would only really be possible with a billionaire backer who fancies wasting alot of money... it would take 9 odd years of back to back promotions to get to the prem for the switch to have been a "good decision"
oh and one last thing you celtic soupporters arent f ing irish how could you be insulted if they sang anti-irish songs at you? thats like if i was offended by anti welsh songs. stupid football idiots.

Latest posts