• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Open

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
It is here again and gets off with the match of Champions at 16.00 tomorrow with all past winners alive (and capable) playing holes1,2,17 and18 after their dinner tonight!

Understand Arnie is staying at the Russocks Hotel, beside the course, and may well be there if not playing?

Rory was seen here in trainers which is good news as cannot expect to see him without crutches if his ligaments were ruptured which may mean he could play the PGA?

Tom Watson got huge welcome on each green today while practicing!

Kudos to the R&A as never seen the set up so good and the double tier stand at the 18th is very impressive!!

I'm going to be working everyday but Sunday. :( Really hoping Shane Lowry will be in contention when I get there, unfortunately I can't see past Spieth, Johnson or Fowler. We could see all four major trophies Stateside by the end of the year.

Yup, Spieth is the frontrunner. It will be interesting to see how he plays outside of the states...

I hope Louis Oosthuizen keeps improving after his last few good performances, he's the main choice for me from a South African perspective.

Can the USA players deal with a links course the wind and weather which is very tempermental, this is not a manicured USA course where target golf is the order of the day, the guys who play the chip and runs with 6,7,8, irons will be seen in contention on Sun I Fancy there couls be an Irishman amonged the leaders come Sunday.

Shane is my tip from the outsiders as he seems to have been coming to form over the last couple of weeks! Speith has to be, and is, on everyone's lips but will the grand slam possibilities weigh on his mind and add unwanted pressure or will he carry it with the insouciance of youth?!!

As for Americans and Links courses, one only has to look at all the past winners and also the number of Yanks on the leader board at Chambers Bay last month to see that they can play links courses. What will assist them here is that it has been, and is, plenty wet around here and also the wind forecast is very for little or none so the course could be like a "virgin with her legs open" as all links course can be unless it is blowing somewhat!

PS sorry about the double thread due to pretty useless internet here!!

pps (with apologies) anyone know the odds on Woods making the cut?!!!

Done my bets. Lowry, Fowler, Dustin Johnson and Rose all E/W.
Also did a bet on Speith missing the cut. He's a talent certainly but he's not used to links golf and reports were that he was very frustrated practising. It's a lot of adjustment to cram in on just the Tuesday and Wednesday.

Done my bets. Lowry, Fowler, Dustin Johnson and Rose all E/W.
Also did a bet on Speith missing the cut. He's a talent certainly but he's not used to links golf and reports were that he was very frustrated practising. It's a lot of adjustment to cram in on just the Tuesday and Wednesday.

Speith was very relaxed on both days when I saw him and did a brilliant press conference this am by all accounts! Also, he won the U.S. open on a links course harder than most when not playing well!! However, all that being said, I think that the pressure will be too much for him!

Speith was very relaxed on both days when I saw him and did a brilliant press conference this am by all accounts! Also, he won the U.S. open on a links course harder than most when not playing well!! However, all that being said, I think that the pressure will be too much for him!

Don't get me wrong I rate him but links in Scotland is different to USA. Factor in weather and wind etc. but I think it'll be an experienced head that wins

If a yank was to win I'd love it to be Spieth. Bobby Jones is, for me, the best golfer ever and if his feat were to be equaled/bettered I'd love to be able to see it.

Wonderful day today seeing Arnie and Player, Peter Thomson and Bob Charles playing at the home of golf, some for the very last time.

Weather is now favoriting late starters tomorrow and Speith out at 9.30!! Winds of up to 40 mph on Friday pm!!

Caddies before updated forecast saying winners would be 20/25 under!!! Think not!!!

Four ball including Westwood, Clarke and Willet yesterday had 36 birdies between them!!!

Bring it on.......and lots of wind please!!!

I will forecast an American winner and Koepke, Reed and Dustin to be there or thereabouts!!!

So Speith and Dustin do know how to play Links on a chilly but calm day then!

The rain has just started and there are occasional gusts of strong wind but there is much more of both to come as the morning progresses!! They are both out in the pm when the weather is due to be even worse - as is Woods!!!

T'will be an interesting (and uncomfortable) day for players and spectators alike!!

Play suspended at the moment, more play around 10.00 if it stops raining and they dry the course out, now we will see who can play golf.

This may well play into the hands of the afternoon starters, inc Speith and Dusten, as rain forecast to quiet ten, which it has for about 15 minutes now. There again, wind forecast to strengthen which the morning starters would have missed!!

The R&A were totally confident that the ground and the huge amount of groundstaff, they look after seven courses, would be able to cope with the rainwater!!

Give me time to watch the game in Christchurch!! Looks warmer than here!!

Your local correspondent here!

Woken at 03.00 with light becoming heavy rain and strong winds which all subsided by 09.30 but too late to prevent 3 hour interruption in play!

After best weather day of the week, play continued to allow a superb celebration of the contribution to the Open and golf of Tom Watson. Very unfortunately not at the 18.00 envisaged when tee times were decided but great to see so many there to see him off, including all the R&A members lining the left hand side of the fairway, taking time out from their dinner and freezing their ******** off.... And it was cold!!!

Within 10 minutes off his finish, the heavens opened again so mature some one had had a word........!!

Thanks Tom for the memories!

Agreed!! Wonderful day for him and also Padraig BUT Speith is there and will be tomorrow night! I think it will between Dustin, Speith and Louis but one of the closest for many a year!!

It was my 13th visit (and last) on the trot so you can blame for the Monday finish! As a way to make amends, I left early this am to head back ahead of time to France so do not blame me for any more delays!!!

Agreed!! Wonderful day for him and also Padraig BUT Speith is there and will be tomorrow night! I think it will between Dustin, Speith and Louis but one of the closest for many a year!!

It was my 13th visit (and last) on the trot so you can blame for the Monday finish! As a way to make amends, I left early this am to head back ahead of time to France so do not blame me for any more delays!!!

Dustin is too far back for my money, it'd take something special from that peleton at -9 to win. If it gets a bit blowie I like Padraig if not it's Spieth vs Day with Louis floating about. Playoff is more likely to happen than not too!

Lads if Harrington wins it I will put him up there with a lot of greats in world golf. Speith is the favourite in my eyes now. He's a guy on form and while I thought he'd struggle he's simply just taking it all in stride and is the #1 guy in world for sure. I'd say he's better than Rory overall.
Great finish in store regardless.

Good to see Shrek (Louis Oosthuizen) at the top again. Actually, it's great to see him, Charl Schwartzel and Retief Goosen in the top 20 going into the final round.

But Spieth is lurking at 10 under so he could still win this one.

Dustin Johnson threw it away in that last 3 holes yesterday. Finishing all 3 of those holes with 5 shots. That surely has to be a dampener on his spirits.

Latest posts