• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ospreys

S

sionlikesmusic

I can't believe how arrogant the Ospreys managmenet and players are after reading the article on BBC Sport's website about them "laying down the gauntlet."

Both Shaun Connor and Sean Holly have said that all 3 of the other regions need to shape up to keep up with the Ospreys, claiming that they will ease ahead of the other 3 regions in the League as they have "little pressure". What a load of bullshit. Sorry, but if the Ospreys are as good as they make themselves out to be, then why couldn't they keep Justin Marshall? Why have they underperformed in competitions like last year's Heineken Cup when, as every Osprey at the time would make clear, most of the Wales team came from the Ospreys region?

Not only that, but they are making out that the Blues will be under pressure from them this year. Again, they have no evidence to back this up. Granted, they won the Magners League 2 seasons ago, but overall, for the last 3/4 years, the Blues have been the most consistent, finishing 2nd in the League for the past 2 seasons.

I'm sorry if you think that this may seem biased since I am a Blues fan, but this incident is another example of one of the biggest problems in Welsh rugby: we all seem to have to fight each other. Yes, the Magners League is a competitive and professional competition, but when the Ospreys make such a ridiculous claim as this then you wonder what the hell is going on.

I'm not saying that the Ospreys aren't capable of doing what they say they can, but anyone who has two brain cells to rub together will remember how they underperformed so badly last season after all the pundits labeled them the best of the Welsh regions.

There's no need for it.

To be honest mate, finishing high in the Magners League means zilch at the end of the day since the big teams don't give a crap about it; the Blues finishing higher than the Ospreys reflects nothing... The Ospreys won the EDF Cup, yes, but then again the English clubs don't give a toss for it...
When they actually perform in Europe instead of choking on their own ego I'll take their comments seriously. I honestly think they'll fall short again this year, and I'll be there to point and laugh...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sionlikesmusic @ Aug 27 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't believe how arrogant the Ospreys managmenet and players are after reading the article on BBC Sport's website about them "laying down the gauntlet."

Both Shaun Connor and Sean Holly have said that all 3 of the other regions need to shape up to keep up with the Ospreys, claiming that they will ease ahead of the other 3 regions in the League as they have "little pressure". What a load of bullshit. Sorry, but if the Ospreys are as good as they make themselves out to be, then why couldn't they keep Justin Marshall? Why have they underperformed in competitions like last year's Heineken Cup when, as every Osprey at the time would make clear, most of the Wales team came from the Ospreys region?

Not only that, but they are making out that the Blues will be under pressure from them this year. Again, they have no evidence to back this up. Granted, they won the Magners League 2 seasons ago, but overall, for the last 3/4 years, the Blues have been the most consistent, finishing 2nd in the League for the past 2 seasons.

I'm sorry if you think that this may seem biased since I am a Blues fan, but this incident is another example of one of the biggest problems in Welsh rugby: we all seem to have to fight each other. Yes, the Magners League is a competitive and professional competition, but when the Ospreys make such a ridiculous claim as this then you wonder what the hell is going on.

I'm not saying that the Ospreys aren't capable of doing what they say they can, but anyone who has two brain cells to rub together will remember how they underperformed so badly last season after all the pundits labeled them the best of the Welsh regions.

There's no need for it.[/b]
I think you need to be more gratefull. The Ospreys money is the only reason the Welsh regions have any credibility. Without them it would be a pretty shitty set up. Dont worry about what they are saying get on with supporting Cardiff and YOUR region.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 27 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<strike>Wales</strike> Ospreys are just overrated, Saracens owned them.[/b]
1) The Ospreys are not Wales, Wales spend less money on hair spray :p
2) Yeah, fair enough, you beat them fair end square in the HC
3) Convenient that the 30 - 3 hammering is forgotten though?

Anyway, actually Shaun Connor was saying this on behalf of teh Dragons - he moved there earlier this Summer, and was saying that the Dragons don't have much to live up to from last season, while the Blues and the Scarlets (after last season, I'd say the Scarlets have even less than the Dragons to live up to) do. He left out the Ospreys, probably because they're his old club, and still have a lot of big names. But tbf, you'd think the pressure was on the Ospreys more so than anyone else, because 1) They underperformed in the Heinken Cup, and 2) They were terrible in the Magners.

Perhaps the Ospreys did not do too well in the league because they happened to give up more players for the national squad, something you may be able to get away with regarding the HC and EDF.
I don't see whats wrong with them saying stuff like this, after all Dai Young shoots his mouth off before games all the time, a bit of rivalry is fun.

Latest posts