• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The power of the television over the Six Nations.

P

Prestwick

There may be lots of talk over dilution of the value of the jersey in England, players drifting away from Wales, general malaise in Ireland and wholesale uncertainty in France, but one change which could effect the values of Rugby on more levels than any of the aforementioned events and situations combined is the new schedules for the Six Nations. Before I incur the wrath of those snobs who live north of the Watford gap near Leicester, I choose the word schedule instead of "fixtures" mind you because the whole competition is treated as a product these days and it seems that the media is having an ever greater influence than before.

This is, after all, <strike>the first time that the</strike> going to be the last Six Nations before friday night kick offs are introduced next year if the BBC have their way. Also, there are more games taking place on Sundays in this year's competition than before. Is this a good thing or would you prefer that we went back to how things used to be?

Also, how is it in the SH? Did the big three down there have traditional days of the week in which the Tri-Nations were pencilled in for? Or was it just a case of playing at a time which suited everyone best?

Which fixture is scheduled for a Friday night?

I'd prefer it if all matches were on a Saturday, although I can cope with Sunday kickoffs. Fridays are just a ridiculous day to be playing international rugby though.

Edit - according to my media package there is no match on a Friday night. Are you sure you aren't getting it confused with the Saxons vs Ireland A match?

Friday night?

thats news to me (but granted, ive only checked actuall dates for games im planning to attend.)

from a personal point of view, it would mean I can keep my weekends free for skiing! :D

however, this would be a total disaster! I went to the Scotland v Romania RWC game at murrayfield - which kicked off at 8pm. and I had to go by car since the train times didnt work - and the attendance was only 30,000. IF the SRU managed to sell 67,000 tickets, it would be an absolute nightmare trying to get home! (for me I could only get as far as Glasgow by train - halfway - and if I managed to get the very first train out of Haymarket, I MAY catch the train to dumbarton. This, im sure, is a situation that would be repeated all over Scotland (and other 6 Nations countries)

Granted, I would still attend (however, only because I want to be there to support my country) but the SRU struggle to sell out the visits of France and Italy at the best of times - so what would happen if it was made difficult for the travelling support? (and in that I also include those travelling up from the SW, the West Highlands and Aberdeen and the northeast - where a fairly sizeable chunk of the Scotland support comes from!)

I dont know what the situation is like in other countries (but I expect the french may be in favour) but from me - and probably most of scotland - its a no!

Dont get me wrong, I love night games - feel it adds to the atmosphere - but not late on a Friday night!

I think Scotland should be forced to hold all their internationals in the Shetland Islands...

well actually there's less Sunday fixtures this year as we have 2 Super Saturdays.

As for Friday internationals, it's all well and good for those fans who live in or around the cities in question but it's a logistical nightmare for away fans and those who don't live near the cities in question.

I don't get what the BBC are playing at because the evening games in the previous Super Saturdays have proved a big success. I'd much rather see all the games on a Saturday, I just find Sunday games to be a bit of an anti-climax.

I can't see the French or Italians going for this so that would mean we'll be limited to games between the home nations and I'm not sure if RTÉ would be too keen on the idea of Friday games for Ireland so we'll probably only get Friday games next season.

It works for club games but the scale is so much smaller.

This would be a disaster for the game, International Rugby on Weekdays only works during the World Cup... I would hate to see Rugby being dictated like it is in Football... especially the Six Nations, as it would mean people would miss out on games, I personally only have time on the weekend to watch the games, I rarely watch Rugby on a Friday Night...

I think that if they make this decision it will nose dive due to being highly unpopular decision...

No Tim, you're getting confused with MY [blink]FIST!!!![/blink]

Sorry, my apologies, these are plans by the BBC for friday night fixtures for next year.

Mick Cleary broke wind of the idea on his blog this morning. Our Saturday kick offs and Sunday hangover buffers are safe..for now...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mickcle...8/tvornottv.htm
[/b]

is this just for the opening weekend like with the world cup or is this going to be a weekly thing?

I sincerly douvt that the bbc would get the figures the get now if there were any matches on Friday

I sincerly douvt that the bbc would get the figures the get now if there were any matches on Friday
[/b]

for anyone who deosn't already know if you miss a match they're on bbc iPlayer all week after. Quite a good site aswell

[/b]

At least the fans who support teams who play matches on Saturday/Sunday afternoons will be able to tune in. Saracens have 2 games clashing with England games (vs. Worcester this Sunday and vs. Leicester on the 15th March) - really good planning from Premier Rugby!

It's France Vs Wales next year, 9pm kick off as well! (8pm for us in the UK)

A friday night game, a game on saturday and a sunday afternoon game sound pretty good to me. At the moment there always seems to be a rush to get onto the next game after the first one on saturday/sunday. Meaning a lack of game analysis and the unfortunate interruptions of a pointless news bulletin.

This way there could be more analysis on player performances like in the Heineken cup. Then on a sunday night they could have a highlights program of all thats gone on and previewing the next round of matches.

Of course they wont do this but you can always hope.

I certainly won't be hoping for that.
I mean, an international on a friday night? No!!
That's not the way it's supposed to be.
I hate the Sunday games, let alone the idea of putting it on on Friday night.

5 super saturdays followed by 5 slow sundays to help us recover, that's what we need!

A friday night game, a game on saturday and a sunday afternoon game sound pretty good to me. At the moment there always seems to be a rush to get onto the next game after the first one on saturday/sunday. Meaning a lack of game analysis and the unfortunate interruptions of a pointless news bulletin.

This way there could be more analysis on player performances like in the Heineken cup. Then on a sunday night they could have a highlights program of all thats gone on and previewing the next round of matches.

[/b]

There's a simpler solution if you want more analysis and you generally get it when England play in the second match on a Saturday and that's either starting the first match 30 minutes earlier or the second 30 minutes later à la last weekend, but France and Ireland are not as important to the BBC so hence the 17:00 kickoff this weekend.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

There's a simpler solution if you want more analysis and you generally get it when England play in the second match on a Saturday and that's either starting the first match 30 minutes earlier or the second 30 minutes later à la last weekend, but France and Ireland are not as important to the BBC so hence the 17:00 kickoff this weekend.
[/b][/quote]

They certainly like to give England the big build up

Getting back on topic, from what I've been reading it's the French who want the Friday night games following their success during the world cup and as has already been mentioned the France Wales tie is being penned in for February 27, wonder this mean we'll get a prime time kick off for the Ireland England game at Croker, better not be a Sunday, that's all I'll say.

There's also talks ongoing of the match in 2010 between the 2 sides also being played on a Friday night

Latest posts