• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Previews and Predictions - Wallabies vs All Blacks - Melbourne 31 July 2010

Veal

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
This is going to be the game of the year. Finally the planets have aligned (aka rugby law interpretations) to create the platform for running rugby to thrive once again. The ABs and Wallabies have shown their hand the last 3 weeks and it will be on for young and old.

It was once the case that if you really wanted to see true running rugby by both teams you had to wait for match ups between the Wallabies and France or the Pacific Island teams. Now with the ABs adopting the full script, we have No.1 and 3 ranked teams going for it.

Predictions ?

Teams on paper - nothing between them, great players all over the park…

Fly-halves â€" Carter is the best but he is human. Quade Cooper missing is a negative for Wallabies but Barnes is an able replacement and a great defender. So not a big deal

Fetchers â€" If McCaw is No. 1 then surely Pocock is No.2…

Form â€" ABs slightly ahead but there are plenty of form players all over the field.

Kicking â€" Giteau kicking better than Carter at the moment â€" Wallabies slightly ahead

Home Ground and Conditions - Melbourne is almost a neutral venue as the Kiwis come in force. No wind at Docklands Stadium but the ground surface is very dodgy â€" the AFL players association are considering boycotting it unless something is done to stop the slips - This will create an X factor if someone goes over unexpectedly during a critical phase close to the lines..

Defence â€" Nothing in it. The ABs smashed the Boks and kept a clean try scorecard while the Wallabies let in two tries last saturday but also closed down numerous attacking phases - Did you see Rob Horne smash Fourie ? O’Conner dump Matfield, Brown and Pocock’s try savers…it is going to be in-your-face and brutal…. from both sides

Coaches â€" Deans vs Henry â€" I’ll let the Kiwis argue about that one but they both clearly know their onions….

Ref - Uh oh….. our friend from the Republic….Craig Joubert… hope he does not rain on the parade, personally I’d prefer one of the Irishmen….

Predictions ?????

2-3 tries apiece, Wallabies ahead on kicking by 5-7 points… the ABs pressing the Wallaby line in the final seconds……….and Will Genia takes out Nonu in the right hand corner with a George Gregan trysaver…

Im sure this will be a great game. I was just about to type the Wallabies to just win but I'm changing my mind at the last second and going for the All Blacks.

The Wallabies missed 12 tackles in the first half alone against the Boks as well as conceding 15 turnovers. The Boks weren't capable of turning that to their advantage but the All Blacks are, and if the Wallabies don't shore up their defence, on Saturday night, they will be toast!

I predict the All Blacks to win by 10 or more.

This is going to be the game of the year. Finally the planets have aligned (aka rugby law interpretations) to create the platform for running rugby to thrive once again. The ABs and Wallabies have shown their hand the last 3 weeks and it will be on for young and old.

It was once the case that if you really wanted to see true running rugby by both teams you had to wait for match ups between the Wallabies and France or the Pacific Island teams. Now with the ABs adopting the full script, we have No.1 and 3 ranked teams going for it.

Predictions ?

Teams on paper - nothing between them, great players all over the park…

Fly-halves – Carter is the best but he is human. Quade Cooper missing is a negative for Wallabies but Barnes is an able replacement and a great defender. So not a big deal

Fetchers – If McCaw is No. 1 then surely Pocock is No.2…

Form – ABs slightly ahead but there are plenty of form players all over the field.

Kicking – Giteau kicking better than Carter at the moment – Wallabies slightly ahead

Home Ground and Conditions - Melbourne is almost a neutral venue as the Kiwis come in force. No wind at Docklands Stadium but the ground surface is very dodgy – the AFL players association are considering boycotting it unless something is done to stop the slips - This will create an X factor if someone goes over unexpectedly during a critical phase close to the lines..

Defence – Nothing in it. The ABs smashed the Boks and kept a clean try scorecard while the Wallabies let in two tries last saturday but also closed down numerous attacking phases - Did you see Rob Horne smash Fourie ? O'Conner dump Matfield, Brown and Pocock's try savers…it is going to be in-your-face and brutal…. from both sides

Coaches – Deans vs Henry – I'll let the Kiwis argue about that one but they both clearly know their onions….

Ref - Uh oh….. our friend from the Republic….Craig Joubert… hope he does not rain on the parade, personally I'd prefer one of the Irishmen….

Predictions ?????

2-3 tries apiece, Wallabies ahead on kicking by 5-7 points… the ABs pressing the Wallaby line in the final seconds……….and Will Genia takes out Nonu in the right hand corner with a George Gregan trysaver…

Lets see how Giteau would fare in Wellington.. The wind blows in 4 different directions on the field at the same time. Australia dont really have any advantage in kicking

The big difference is that the All Blacks seemed to finish most of their opportunites while the Wallabies botched most of theirs. Barnes doesn't suit the new game plan at all so the already questionable attack will get quite a bit worse. Im predicting an NZ victory with Australia having a few standout individual performances but they will be lacking the clinical finishing and support play in attack needed to outscore the All Blacks

Barnes to kick the ball away almost every time he touches it, he's a shocking defender, Anthony Faingaa should be in at 12 and Barnes and O'Connor should be keeping the Benches nice and toasty.

Although the Wallabies did well at Suncorp...I'm not convinced that they will take the points this weekend. If the AB's play with the intensity and effectiveness as they did against the Bok's...it will be 3 in a row.

It'll take some coaching genius to get the Wallabies past the Blacks. Just as well they have Deans.

All Blacks to win comfortably, by 10-20 points.

I just can't see how the Wallabies could win this game, they'll have to run it at every opportunity, and then put the ball in the ABs 22 hoping that we stuff around with it (a la a few years back). Guess that's why Barnes is in there.

Barnes to kick the ball away almost every time he touches it, he's a shocking defender, Anthony Faingaa should be in at 12 and Barnes and O'Connor should be keeping the Benches nice and toasty.

This is an un-substatinated comment. Barnes is a very solid defender. The Waratahs were one of the best defensive teams in the Super 14 and Barnes played no small part in policing the flyhalf channel, shutting things down and forcing oppositions to focus outside. In the centres one-on-one is very reliable.

Will he kick it ? Well if he wants to be kicked back to club rugby the following week he should probably take that option but somehow I think Deans will be advising him otherwise. If he has to kick a field goal than at least we know he can do it and provide another option for Giteau. Anyway - NEWS FLASH - Barnes is picked at 12 and Faingaa is on the bench...we may see them both on the field..

Cowan being picked over Weepu is a disgrace. Weepu played so well against South Africa that you may as well let him continue and try and get some momentum going.

One win and the aussies are confident of anything. Compare the first AB's SA game to the one on saturday, or the June tests of both teams. Deans would have to work a miracle, and thats WITH Cooper

It's not easy to call on this game, and I won't even say there will be more than 10 points difference at the end of the game, and it's not because I like the All Blacks, that I will say it is the All Blacks' game to win come this weekend.

It would be very interesting to see Pocock V McCaw that's for sure!

The AB's last 2 games showed great stamina which resulted in sustained attack and defence. The Bok/Wallaby teams struggled with noticeable fatigue as their game progressed. The Wallabies have to improve fitness to have a chance during the rest of their Tri Nation games.

lets face it, its going to be an all blacks win. not just because anyone with an .nz flag will say this but because our team is better. Richie McCaw is the best in the world right now, Kieran Read is on fire at the moment and look at the Franks Brothers. And that is just the forwards not to mention the resurgence of Muliaina, the brilliance of Cory Jane and all oversee'd by the steady hand of the worlds best first five eight Daniel Carter. And look at the bench, 16 Corey Flynn, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Sam Whitelock, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Aaron Cruden, 22 Israel Dagg.
The Wallabies played alright last Saturday, but in all honesty is was more the fact that the Springboks are in disarray and their coach is crying conspiracy while overlooking key points such as 3 send offs in 3 weeks (the second on was a bit shakey) and how every team is shutting down Spies and Steyn is playing the worst of his career. Although I reckon Drew Mitchell and Will Genia will have something to say before the 80 minutes are up
Beldisloe matches are always close fought battles but the All Blacks have the team, the form and the coaching to take this Tri Nations series undefeated, thinking this one is going to be All Blacks by more than a converted try.

I predict All Blacks 12+. Just thinking about the AB team, they are clinical and have a superb defence, both are things that Australia doesn't have at the moment. Can't see the AB's losing.

Last edited:
New Zealand: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Joe Rokocoko, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan; 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Tom Donnelly, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Tony Woodcock.
Replacements: 16 Corey Flynn, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Sam Whitelock, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Aaron Cruden, 22 Israel Dagg.

from www.planetrugby.com

Pretty unlucky for Rene Ranger to not be included in the 22 at all

Australia: 15 Adam Ashley Cooper, 14 James O'Connor, 13 Rob Horne, 12 Berrick Barnes, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Will Genia, 8 Richard Brown, 7 David Pocock, 6 Rocky Elsom (c), 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Dean Mumm, 3 Salesi Ma'afu, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Benn Robinson.
Replacements: 16 Saia Faingaa, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Matt Hodgson, 20 Luke Burgess, 21 Anthony Faingaa, 22 Kurtley Beale.

from www.planetrugby.com

New Zealand: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Joe Rokocoko, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan; 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Tom Donnelly, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Tony Woodcock.
Replacements: 16 Corey Flynn, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Sam Whitelock, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Aaron Cruden, 22 Israel Dagg.

from www.planetrugby.com

Pretty unlucky for Rene Ranger to not be included in the 22 at all

Who'd you replace him with?

They were only allowed a certain number of players to trvel over to Australia. Ranger and Messam missed out.

I think the All Blacks will win, but not by a massive amount, maybe 5-10 points. I think when they're at home, though, they'll run away with it

Latest posts