• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Reconstruction of Irish Rugby 2016

Schmidt is a big fan of Strauss. It is a toss up between him and Cronin for the 16 jersey and I could see it going to Strauss on the basis that Strauss is much more reliable with his darts, better ground game, better at scrummaging etc. It's a tough call as Cronin breaks the gain line every time he carries the ball against a tired opposition and if we're chasing the game in the last 20, he would offer a great impact and go forward momentum. However, his lineouts are poor and I would't have much confidence in him throwing into a lineout in the last 5 mins of the match where we're defending on our 5m or trying to manoeuvre something deep in their half, considering we're short on 2nd row options and going up against Charteris and AWJ who are world class lineout operators.

I honestly haven't seen much of Herring but I've been very impressed from what I've seen. He seems very dynamic and quick. However, this is a must win game and we can't be throwing a 2ish year old hooker into a tight game under huge pressure considering he only has a handful of caps. He should definitely see some gametime towards the end of the campaign (depending on how we're going) and during the summer. Him and Tracy have big futures.

You know Herring is hitting 26 this year yeah? He's not a kid

McFadden in as injury cover for Earls... Now, once upon a time I was Ferg's biggest fan and I maintain to this day that Keith Earls has around 5 caps that rightfully belonged to Ferg, but this is the wrong call. Ferg has not played to a standard that is worthy of this call up this season and there two guys in both Ulster and Connacht deserving of that squad place ahead of him. Why not call up Gilroy, Scholes or O'Halloran all of whom have shown serious form, the chances of him being involved on Saturday are slim and this is a perfect opportunity to get training experience which Schmidt values so highly. Why pick the guy who has no international future :( ahead of three guys who have the potential to bring our attack to the level we need it to be? Incredible lack of foresight!

McFadden in as injury cover for Earls... Now, once upon a time I was Ferg's biggest fan and I maintain to this day that Keith Earls has around 5 caps that rightfully belonged to Ferg, but this is the wrong call. Ferg has not played to a standard that is worthy of this call up this season and there two guys in both Ulster and Connacht deserving of that squad place ahead of him. Why not call up Gilroy, Scholes or O'Halloran all of whom have shown serious form, the chances of him being involved on Saturday are slim and this is a perfect opportunity to get training experience which Schmidt values so highly. Why pick the guy who has no international future :( ahead of three guys who have the potential to bring our attack to the level we need it to be? Incredible lack of foresight!

Quoted for truth.

I agree. He's been brought in because I think a few backs are carrying knocks and he covers a few positions but this just stinks of pragmatism at the cost of quality.

Lads Earls is going to make it and simply put McFadden won't be playing games just there to fill in at training. Smart move considering provinces need their guys for weekend

yeah i'd prefer if someone other than mcfadden to come in has been pretty poor this year. he will be there to hold tackle bags and nothing more. he knows the systems which is convenient and has performed well under Schmidt, but he doesn't deserve to see any game time (which he won't).

would make a bit more sense to bring in one of gilroy, ringrose, TOH, healy etc etc to get them used to the systems and the environment considering they'll be getting some amount of game time after the 6N.

yeah i'd prefer if someone other than mcfadden to come in has been pretty poor this year. he will be there to hold tackle bags and nothing more. he knows the systems which is convenient and has performed well under Schmidt, but he doesn't deserve to see any game time (which he won't).

would make a bit more sense to bring in one of gilroy, ringrose, TOH, healy etc etc to get them used to the systems and the environment considering they'll be getting some amount of game time after the 6N.

All true but it is big time for provinces. Ringrose is better served preparing for weekend with Leinster. He will benefit more as will Connacht lads. They'll get benefits of playing a game and missing no prep. McFadden is experienced enough to hop between camps knowing he's only an extra for Ireland.

The most accurate thing you've ever said

Jack O'Donoghue and Finlay Bealham called up to the Ireland squad. Both are uncapped.

Interesting to see calls of Pat Lam to be next irish boss if Schmidt leaves. Reasons seem very good too.
At Connacht he doesn't build around a player but has a system. And it's much bigger than any player.
Also the fact he's ruthless and very adaptable.
But the key issue is his ability to make the Southern hemisphere mindset come in. This has been evident for anyone watching Connacht this season but especially in the 1st half vs Leinster when even with a gale behind them they still kept majority of ball in hand.
Now I know it's a big step up Connacht to Ireland but his CV is very impressive. And I think his achievements are near that of Schmidts. Also before people think this is a get Schmidt out its more a if Joe goes which the rumours are he's leaning towards

Interesting to see calls of Pat Lam to be next irish boss if Schmidt leaves. Reasons seem very good too.
At Connacht he doesn't build around a player but has a system. And it's much bigger than any player.
Also the fact he's ruthless and very adaptable.
But the key issue is his ability to make the Southern hemisphere mindset come in. This has been evident for anyone watching Connacht this season but especially in the 1st half vs Leinster when even with a gale behind them they still kept majority of ball in hand.
Now I know it's a big step up Connacht to Ireland but his CV is very impressive. And I think his achievements are near that of Schmidts. Also before people think this is a get Schmidt out its more a if Joe goes which the rumours are he's leaning towards
How in any way is this the case? Honestly think Lam would be wasted at national level.

I'd like to see him get the job. He would certainly be the top contender in Irish rugby at the moment. I wouldn't be too sorry to see Schmidt leave tbh. That sounds ungrateful but it isn't. I just don't like his over cautious, low risk, low reward, ruck, ruck, ruck approach.

How in any way is this the case? Honestly think Lam would be wasted at national level.

In terms of trophies no but in terms of progression and development it's clearly the case. Schmidt's achievements with Leinster were superb but he had the tools in place. Lam has dragged a Connacht team that had went stale to serious contenders

I'd like to see him get the job. He would certainly be the top contender in Irish rugby at the moment. I wouldn't be too sorry to see Schmidt leave tbh. That sounds ungrateful but it isn't. I just don't like his over cautious, low risk, low reward, ruck, ruck, ruck approach.
Nah, it's a bull**** attitude. Best coach we've ever had by some distance, no one cared about Kidney's puke rugby when Munster were winning Heineken Cups.

Joe Schmidt is by some distance the best coach Ireland have ever had. I'd prefer to see Ireland play sexier rugby but it's hard to implement a passing game plan when the passing basic skills are dire and you've only got a few days to work with those players. In that regard, Schmidt is better suited to coaching at club/provincial level where he coach players up day in, day out to improve their skills.

The impact of Dave Ellis and Andre Bell on the Connacht game plan can't be ignored. If all four provinces had skills coaches as good as Connacht's, Ireland could implement a more attractive passing game. We really need to up our skill level across the board because we're miles behind Sanzarg. Soon Japan will be at a higher level too.

I wouldn't be too sorry to see Schmidt leave tbh. That sounds ungrateful but it isn't. I just don't like his over cautious, low risk, low reward, ruck, ruck, ruck approach.

Definition of ungrateful. So he's achieved 2 Heineken Cups, 1 Amlin Challenge Cup, 1 Rabo and back to back 6Ns and you "wouldn't be too sorry" if he left? Did he decapitate your family dog?

I agree that in 2014,2015 we played fairly cautious rugby but did it effectively to win. But this year, we threw the ball around far more, made much more offloads and put a lot more width to our game even with our squad being decimated with injuries to our first and second choice tightheads, 2 of our first choice locks, 2 of our key backrowers (one of which is our best player) and a host of injuries to our back three. And you consider that to be "over cautious"? We drew with Wales, were one point off France and came very close against England (if we had a proper ref on the pitch).

You seriously need a reality check.

Joe Schmidt is by some distance the best coach Ireland have ever had. I'd prefer to see Ireland play sexier rugby but it's hard to implement a passing game plan when the passing basic skills are dire and you've only got a few days to work with those players. In that regard, Schmidt is better suited to coaching at club/provincial level where he coach players up day in, day out to improve their skills.

The impact of Dave Ellis and Andre Bell on the Connacht game plan can't be ignored. If all four provinces had skills coaches as good as Connacht's, Ireland could implement a more attractive passing game. We really need to up our skill level across the board because we're miles behind Sanzarg. Soon Japan will be at a higher level too.

I agree. He is a very good coach. Still, you say the skills are dire but he doesn't pick the most skillful players.

You can't say he is by some distance the best coach Ireland ever had. Declan Kidney took Munster from being whipping boys to top dogs in Europe. He then won a grandslam and beat Australia in the world cup. Thats just Kidney. There were other coaches before my time.

- - - Updated - - -

Definition of ungrateful. So he's achieved 2 Heineken Cups, 1 Amlin Challenge Cup, 1 Rabo and back to back 6Ns and you "wouldn't be too sorry" if he left? Did he decapitate your family dog?

I agree that in 2014,2015 we played fairly cautious rugby but did it effectively to win. But this year, we threw the ball around far more, made much more offloads and put a lot more width to our game even with our squad being decimated with injuries to our first and second choice tightheads, 2 of our first choice locks, 2 of our key backrowers (one of which is our best player) and a host of injuries to our back three. And you consider that to be "over cautious"? We drew with Wales, were one point off France and came very close against England (if we had a proper ref on the pitch).

You seriously need a reality check.

Oh I'm awfully sorry for having a different opinion, sir. :D

These are all if buts and maybes. If England were not stopped from scoring on the French tryline in the last minute last year, Ireland wouldn't have won the 6 nations. All fine margins.

But I have plenty of problems with Schmidt. He is clearly not picking the best players, favouring those he has formerly coached. The style of play is not easy on the eye. The average age of the team is the highest of all tier 1 nations. He distrusts youth. The world cup was a shambles.

I actually like the man personally but that won't cloud my judgement.

Latest posts