• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ref Yesterday

B

bristol-iain

Abysmal.

Thats how I'd sum him up, numerous "missed" Shark infrigments at ruscks and in the scrum.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why Vickery was sinbinned with no warning despite his "last time" warnings to the Sharks.

Vickery seems to be a mystery. Somthing about being reckless ..... probably shoed someone.

As for the ref, it goes beyond "interpretation" when he is effectively re-writing the laws.

Dreadful performance, but he wont be doing the tests so no big deal really.

Some calls in the ruck were questionable but for the most part the Lions were at fault in the scrum, especially Jenkins. He wasn't straighten his back and wasn't taking the hit. Jannie du Plessis proved why he is the strongest tighthead in SA yesterday.

Stev-o you're just wrong, Du Plessis was diving onto the floor all through the first half and the Jonker was giving everything against Jenkins, who was doing his best to stay up.

Graham Rowntree, the Lions scrum coach had a word with the 4th official who passed it on to Jonker at half time, and lo and behold every penalty went against Du Pessis in the second half.

I'm sure he is a fine scrummager, and while he played Jonker well in the firt half he didn't show it yesterday.

Agree with monkeypigeon, as did the S4C Commentators, he was terrible in the scrum time in the first half. I did find it strange that he binned Vickery without a warning or anything, and kept giving the Sharks a 'final warning'. I mean it took a very cynical trip picked up by the touch judge to get the card out. Have been very annoyed with the reffing standard this tour so far. Can't really blame it on South African bias or anything, as Wayne Barnes was utter shite too. Btw, is it Nigel Owen reffing the next match?

I'd say Carstens was thorough schooled in the scrums but Du Plessis was solid, and for stages dominant. I'm pretty confident in my assessment.

BTW Kaplan was reffing.

Will have to agree to disagree then :p as we're confident of ours...
Gethin Jenkiins > the world

It seems that way. The ref was accusing Jenkins of not taking the hit, hence him holding in half. And I agree with that assessment. We'll have to wait for highlights of some kind to hit the net.

Steve-o ... Jenkins won that battle has down yesterday, it was not that Jenkins could take the hit it was Du Plessis hitting the ground first. The fact that Jenkins was still standing when Plessis was on the floor showed that Jenkins was dominating him. Coming from a front row forward who knows whats going on there. Im afraid your assessment is completely wrong, the pundits alike called it to Jenkins even Bok fans I spoke to said that Jenkins was dominant. The fact Kaplan then began to penalise him in the second half showed that he had got it wrong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 11 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Steve-o ... Jenkins won that battle has down yesterday, it was not that Jenkins could take the hit it was Du Plessis hitting the ground first. The fact that Jenkins was still standing when Plessis was on the floor showed that Jenkins was dominating him. Coming from a front row forward who knows whats going on there. Im afraid your assessment is completely wrong, the pundits alike called it to Jenkins even Bok fans I spoke to said that Jenkins was dominant. The fact Kaplan then began to penalise him in the second half showed that he had got it wrong.[/b]

I have to agree. With Crymo and my own earlier oppinion. I was curing Kaplan for the entire first haklf. Most refs are former backs and just don't understand the ruck. I'm a completely objective viewer in that I was never a fulltime back or forward just a fulltime viewer and it's clear that 50% of times the ref is on the wrong side of the ruck and then gets the call wrong.

Jenkins was ripped off. I saw it before the pundits ever mentioned. Not only was Plessis not binding he was also driving straight to the ground and once he realised he was getting away with it he did it throughout the first half. The change of oppinion after Kaplans fault was pointed out at half time is evidence of this.

Biggest problem was Barnes being retarded on the near touchline for the entire firsthalf.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Jun 12 2009, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
didn't kaplan ref this game? if so, i rest my case...[/b]

Yep, Jonathan Kraplan "reffed".

The thig withy Jenkins was the guy he was scrummaging against kept having his shirt being pulled up by theit hooker so all that Gethin could grab was skin and couldnt keep his grip.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jun 12 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Jun 12 2009, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thig withy Jenkins was the guy he was scrummaging against kept having his shirt being pulled up by theit hooker so all that Gethin could grab was skin and couldnt keep his grip.
[/b][/quote]

I'll admit as a past flanker I don't know the subtle part of the frontrow but HOW on earth can that be Kaplan's or Du Plessis fault? Did the Lions coach ask for Jannie to wear a bigger shirt in the 2nd half?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 12 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jun 12 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Jun 12 2009, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I'll admit as a past flanker I don't know the subtle part of the frontrow but HOW on earth can that be Kaplan's or Du Plessis fault? Did the Lions coach ask for Jannie to wear a bigger shirt in the 2nd half?
[/b][/quote]

Ok that sounded a lot smarter in my head than it did on here. It was just frusttrating watching the scrum kepping on going down and Kaplan, without going over to the side it was going down on, penalising the Lions for the Sharks player faults in the scrum.

I think it's been conclusively proven that Du Plessis and Kraplen were at fault at the scrum. Every Sky pundit and commentator from here to the stadium *****ed about how Jannie wasn't binding properly. Only Steve-o seems to be disagreeing though.

I know who I'm going to believe, since Jenkins hasn't folded at the scrum for any player for years.

there's no issue with the Vickery yellow card, he elbowed the full back, I think it was, in the back right under the nose of the ref, utter twat.

Latest posts