The Residency Rule Thread

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Leinster Fan, Sep 6, 2019.

1. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Rugby pro is a short career and you don't get paid that much when compared to a lot of other pro sports, especially ones with that much risk of injuries. You can't blame players for moving for better money/prospects etc. and can't blame the more affluent countries offering more money either.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Many coaches tell players to switch positions. Beast was a no. 8 before his coached switched him to prop. Pierre Spies was a winger before he moved to No. 8. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But Stander was the U/20 Springbok captain, and he also went on tour as an uncapped springbok and many people are of the opinion that it was on that tour where he was approached to go to Ireland. As he signed a couple of Months later with Munster.

4. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

Western Province

I don’t get how you think that makes standers story better. Cj stander and bundee Aki (as well as some of the French South Africans) are really the only players I have issues playing for a country that they weren’t born in. I’ll buy that you have adopted your new country as your home if you move their for school or on rugby work.

It’s the guys who move to a country to only play rugby who bother me. Especially in Ireland’s case where they are very reluctant to give jobs to foreigners (seems they only sign them if they can turn them into Irish players).

I want one of either two rules put into place.

1. The nations you are eligible to play for freezes when you sign your first professional contract.

2. Time playing professional rugby doesn’t count towards residency.

You’d have to define “professional rugby” for both of them but I believe people could work it out.

5. Groundhog

Groundhog #1 Cuck

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Yeah people move, but he was absolutely vindicated in his decision to back himself at 8. He has had an excellent career thusfar, captained his club from 8, got capped all at 8, the position he wanted. Especially as an under 20 captain I can see how he didn't like being told to switch position when he knew he was big enough and good enough where he was.

On your second point ok maybe that's how he signed but he had to get spotted and signed somehow, not sure what bearing it has. We also signed Rua Tipoki based off a Maori All Blacks game I'm pretty sure. It's good talent identification.

6. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I reckon it should be clarified that the "project player" (a term that was very quickly abandoned too, I think Payne was the only one to actually be signed on those terms and play for Ireland) isn't someone scouted by Ireland to play for us in 3-5 years, it's simply a contract that was available to provinces to bring in an extra foreign player that wasn't tied to a nation. For every Stander or Aki there's a Mafi, Newland or Manning who didn't get a sniff of a national squad.

We get extra stick for coining the term but these guys aren't different to Nathan Hughes or Sevu Reece.

This thread also just shouldn't get specific, it will just devolve into finger pointing. Its the rules that need discussed, not the individuals they apply to.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

I'm happy to do that. But I guess many who have an opinion on this matter will use certain players as an example as illustration.

For me, as a Saffa, I blame our government mostly for the reason as to why guys are going overseas and play for other nations. The Transformation/Quota system is part of why these guys are leaving. But I have a personal gripe with guys who represented us at U/20 level, wear the Bok jersey and sing the national anthem with pride, only to go and represent another country.

If it's about money, go and play overseas, but make yourself available for South Africa.

8. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I do understand that but at the same time it's your own perspective. For many professional rugby players rugby is just a career and not a vocation, plenty of them know that their only chance to earn a good living is rugby and that's more important than patriotism.

I always try to compare it to any other career, if I was offered a better opportunity in a place that I'd be happy to live I'd take it in a heartbeat, some people wouldn't. I'm 24, I could go away for a decade, I can still come home to establish myself here if I wanted to and probably be far the better for it with a love for another country and culture too. The difference here is just a jersey in a career that is at best 25% as long as a normal one with fairly limited financial opportunities.

I don't know if you dislike Stander, Dell, Strauss etc... as people, but anyone who does needs some perspective.

9. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Well what differnce is it from a CJ Stander or Aki and a Joe Rokocoko or Jerry Collins (RIP) or Benson Stanley along many more.

Your rules are wrong as
    1. Encourages poaching at a young age.
    2. What is "professional rugby" in Ireland is it AIL, Provincial etc and again it does not address the poaching from a younger age.

10. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Actually he got his spot before South Africans arrived. Axel gave that to him long before and is the very reason CJ took his passing very close to heart. So I guess we will know as he has proven so.

Yes he does have family in SA and yes he misses things there. I have family in Calgary. I miss parts of my time there but doesn't mean I'm Canadian.

CJ broke no rule and came to Ireland to play for Munster. Not Ireland. He was never signed to play for Ireland. In fact the IRFU never even knew who he was.

11. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

100% false I am involved with Munster a long time and he was approached after being told he had no future as a backrow player in South Africa by Shaun Payne who met him and his father in the family farm. THat was the very first contact and was a call out of the blue instigated by Shaun and Axel who was aware of many young players in the world from his time with Munster underage.

12. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

On this and this really ****** me off. CJ was available and was mentioned that the Boks may cap him. He never once said no and was not turning his back on them. Heyneke Meyer told him he probably would not make it as a professional never mind a Springbok.

13. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Joe C moved to England when he was a couple of months old, I doubt he had a rugby career in mind.

14. Groundhog

Groundhog #1 Cuck

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Well you're fundamentally wrong on this point. Reluctant to give jobs to foreigners? Players are signed primarily to play for and according to the needs of the provinces. We've had tonnes of non Irish eligible players play here. Scott Fardy, Jaco Taute, Piatau, Pienaar, Alby Mathewson many many more. Did Munster sign Jed Holloway last week on a two month contract to play for Ireland? Doubtful. If World rugby change the eligibility rules we would continue to sign foreign players where needed as we literally always have.
    Also a heads-up there's four Irish guys in the American squad. Brought up, developed and played their formative years of rugby here. Doesn't bother me in the slightest of course. Glad to see as many Irish get opportunities as possible. I'd feel differently if we lost a top talent of course but that's very unlikely.

• Like Like x 2
  15. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

But see CJ has an Irish passport and is an Irish citizen as is Jean Marie. And again the point was more New Zealand got many pacific islanders that have played for the All Blacks simply because they got them at an earlier age. And again the evidence is there as the schools report would show alot have come from Samoa, Tonga etc is high too. Yes they don't come exclusively for rugby but well don't feed me this BS of being on higher ground. Every country is at it and simply target from different ages.

Like I'll put a question out Kenyan Knox plays for Munster tonight in a preseason game. If he goes on to play for Ireland what is the view on it?

16. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

My point on this is alot move without rugby on their mind but the overall scenario is the same in terms of no blood linkage. Yes some do too but if there is a rule in place and it is obeyed I don't see the issue.

17. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

Western Province

if you include professional rugby as paying for someone to play rugby it would address poaching at an early age since scholarships could be considered professional under that standard

Rokococko and Collins both moved when they were children and Collins is a little unclear. If you can't the difference between Rokococko/ Collins and Aki/Stander you're deliberately obtuse. If Collins move to New Zealand was rugby motivated I'd be a little more skeptical. However he was recruited by a school not by a team whose contracts have to be approved by the national union.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

That is a very far stretched speculation, at best. And you dodge the point.
    Maybe those NZ born and bred players wouldn't have a spot in PI teams if the best players from the PI weren't poached by richer countries.
    Maybe.

@Umaga's Witness
    I enjoyed your post. Don't necessarily agree with everything but i see your pov.

That is just not true. You could live abroad and play for your national team, specially in non-tier 1 teams.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My case is not as tight as i'd like it to be, but i have a few non-negotiables and, given those, this is the least worse proposal i could come up with. I'm open to hear others and change my mind.

And i'd like to mention another thing. For me the comparison between someone not being able to play for a national team and someone not being able to be part of a society is just wrong.
    Let's take the case you mentioned about a Pakistani woman. Well, i am all in favour of her having asylum, residency, right to vote, assistance, the lot. I want to help her to integrate. Not sure how to explain my thoughts about this, so bear with me.
    She is coming from a terrible situation (i guess that was the underlying assumption) and we are trying to help her out.
    I want to conclude using this phrase (you will see why later): we are helping her transition from a terrible situation into a normal situation. Her baseline is, again, terrible.

Now let's take a PI who has the skillset to become an All Black. He's got a SR contract, happy with the money and odds are he'll have something along those lines for his entire carreer. Probably move to France at some point, etc. All Blacks or no All Blacks his financial situation, unless he screws up royally, is more than ok. So in his case, his baseline is not terrible, it's actaully pretty ******* amazing. He's young, healthy, popular, a star, does what he loves and earns good money. So what i am taking from him prevents him from going from very good to outstanding one. I dont really have that in my priority list.

Recapping:
    helping people to go from a terrible situation to a normal situation ---> Very important
    Helping people to go from a privileged position to an even more privileged position ----> nice to have, but not a priority.

If the system i proposed above would have as a consequence that the woman couldn't move from Pakistan to NZ, I would reconsider my position. However, if my system meant that some pros couldnt make it to the national team, i'm ok with that. The benefits outweigh that cost (comfortably) in my book.

I'm not worried about you agreeing with me but i am not sure i explained myself as eloquently as i should have. Let me know if it's not clear. Again, my solution is far from perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

You're kidding yourself pal, he's scum.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

My view is very simple. No switching, no exceptions, even counting Junior level.

I wouldn't like it, but I could tolerate someone who was born and raised in country A, poached by country B just to play rugby. I dont like it but from a practical point of view it is very, very difficult to prevent that. I undersrtand that.
    However, i think a lot of people would agree with the idea that once a player puts on a national team's jersey, that's it, there should be no going back.

Lets take the argument to the extreme to test it's logic. What if CJ Stander couldnt make it to Ireland's team either and moved to Italy? And after that he took his chances with Georgia. Then Romania.
    He can basically go country shopping.
    I dont like where that leads.

One choice, pick carefully.

I have mixed feelings about the age thing. I think talent scouts can tell quite easily if a 18 year old is good/maybe/not good enough.

21. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Yes but again it's said as if Ireland poached CJ. Munster did and well it had nothing to do with Ireland. It was at a time when Munster had a few not many and Leinster had about 3 backrow units ahead. Kevin McLaughlin, Domnic Ryan and a few more to name a few.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!