The Rugby Magazine - Fantasy Rugby

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
Has anyone signed up to the fantasy game at www.therugbymagazine.com ?

It's the first time I've seen it but it looks great. The most polished and detailed fantasy rugby game I've seen for the Premiership by a long, long way.

I've signed up and it would be great to set-up a league.

Who's in?

Last edited:
Very sorry, I've signed up, but forgot to use your referral code. :(

What's the best source of stats to try and get an idea of who to pick?

International windows should make this interesting.

For anyone else's benefit, the rules are listed under help - took me a minute or two to figure that out. Transfers are free until the first match, so speaking from experience, the best way to understand how everything works is to pick a side and play with the software.

Last edited:
No worries. If there's enough interest, I'll set up a Rugby Forum League.

If you click on the individual players you can see appearances, tries, YCs etc. for the last 5 or 6 seasons.

I picked mine partially on that and partially on my impressions of how certain players are likely to score for metres made, tackling etc.

Without ever having done it before, I may be way off, but I reckon there are some definite bargains to be had there and some players that really won't be worth picking with international commitments etc. For example, why pick Farrell, when Gopperth is cheaper and will most likely get more points.

Has anyone signed up to the fantasy game at www.therugbymagazine.com ?

It's the first time I've seen it but it looks great. The most polished and detailed fantasy rugby game I've seen for the Premiership by a long, long way.

I've signed up and it would be great to set-up a league.

Who's in?

If you're keen, can you put the referral code c3932 please???
Thanks for the link, never played one of these before but going to give this a go...

No worries. If there's enough interest, I'll set up a Rugby Forum League.

If you click on the individual players you can see appearances, tries, YCs etc. for the last 5 or 6 seasons.

I picked mine partially on that and partially on my impressions of how certain players are likely to score for metres made, tackling etc.

Without ever having done it before, I may be way off, but I reckon there are some definite bargains to be had there and some players that really won't be worth picking with international commitments etc. For example, why pick Farrell, when Gopperth is cheaper and will most likely get more points.

Thanks for the into re: the stats, I hadn't spotted that. Does anyone know of anywhere with more in depth stats like metres carried, offloads, tackles, etc? I recall a member posting excellent spreadsheets containing this sort of information last season, so presumably it's available somewhere.

I've yet to give much thought to this, when I do, my approach will be to determine which attributes I think are important per position and try to pick accordingly. It will be interesting to see over the course of the season if the points system balances the points scoring potential of the positions or whether it becomes clear that some positions deserve more of your budget than others.

Given that you only have one squad change per week for free, my initial reaction was that current internationals represent a poor purchase.

I follow your point re: Gopperth vs Farrell. The prices of players appear to have been set according to players' perceived value on an open market as opposed to the number of points that they would have scored last season, so part of the skill in the game will be in identifying good and bad value based on the disparity between price and performance in the same way that DoRs do when signing players. The example that stood out to me is Jack Nowell being priced at £317k versus clubmate James Short priced at £175k. Maybe analysis would show that Nowell is worth significantly more points per match, in which case the question would become whether it is worth putting the additional pressure on your budget to have him. Plenty to think about!

I'm surprised that there isn't more disparity between the prices of players and that the budget isn't tighter. If you keep your squad down to 28, you have an average of £250k per player to play with, which isn't all that far off the most expensive players valued at £400k.

If you're keen, can you put the referral code c3932 please???

Good news, I found that I was able to enter your referral code in retrospect, so you could have a referral from me.

Can I stake my claim to be next in line to post a referral code once you've got your 5 please? I won't post it yet in case I rob you of referrals.

I submitted some feedback the other day and got a very prompt reply from the guy who set this up offering clarifications. He's been very pleasant and informative and is keen to receive feedback, so I'd encourage anyone else with questions / comments to do the same.

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't received more interest. Maybe a bump will help and maybe more will show interested once the season is nearer.

I'm up to my referrals now Redruth so feel free to post your own (I'll remove mine too).

TRF's been quiet over the past few weeks so I think the lack of interest is possibly down to people being away etc.

Thanks BPM.

If anyone is signing up, I'd be grateful if you would use the referral code 4d7d1 or by following the link:

http://ru.gbymag.com/f/4d7d1

When and if I reach my 5 referrals, I'll take my code down as BPM has and let the next person in line display theirs.

Hey cheers mate just signed up. If anyone chooses to sign up please use my referral code 17b55 cheers guys ill take down towhen i reach 5.

A rugby forum league would be awesome

I'll do it this evening. I think there are 5 of us now so it's semi-worthwhile. Hopefully a few more sign up.

Sweet i just joined the league cheers mate.

So tough to choose players stuggling with the balance of internationals and non internationals but oh well sure ill smash it :)

Provisional squad picked for now, 31 players in total and I'm skint, 4 England regular international's but descent cover for when their away....

Last edited:
8 in the league now chaps ... of course the more the merrier ...

I've currently got a squad of 32 but nearly £500k left over. Being an uber geek, I've taken a bit of a 'Moneyball' approach and tried to predict which players are going to be statistically good.

On the one hand, I feel like I should be concerned that I have more players from Gloucester, Worcester and Sale than I do from Saracens, but on the other, I think a player that features in 20 games could outscore an international who plays 12-14 games.

I think I've either made some genius selections or machine gunned myself in both feet ... we'll see ...

If i play a player in the centre but he starts on the wing, does it matter. Could have a player who starts on the wing for there club at 11 12 13 14 15 in my team.(e.g. nowell woodburn ect. Can play centre)

I still need to team and take into account losing the non lions players in november for 3 or 4 weeks and the endland first team players for 6 or 7 weeks. Its harder than i thought having a balance between internations.

May aswell have some top players to start with because losing alot of non lions soon anyway. I keep starting again on my team tbh.

Last edited:
8 in the league which is a little underwhelming. It would be good to have a few more if anyone else is game?

I posted yhe link in couple of places, we all need to do the same, get a few more involved before its too late. :)

8 in the league now chaps ... of course the more the merrier ...

I've currently got a squad of 32 but nearly £500k left over. Being an uber geek, I've taken a bit of a 'Moneyball' approach and tried to predict which players are going to be statistically good.

On the one hand, I feel like I should be concerned that I have more players from Gloucester, Worcester and Sale than I do from Saracens, but on the other, I think a player that features in 20 games could outscore an international who plays 12-14 games.

I think I've either made some genius selections or machine gunned myself in both feet ... we'll see ...

Haha ive done the same but having a player who plays 14 games then trading them for the solid 22 game player when they arnt playing means you get the most of of them both because the 14 game player gets more per game where as the 22 gets more due to more game time.
But switching them mid season can be much better IMO.

I got a few sale players tbh but mainly chiefs and wasps. Got 29 players with 10k left :) i think ive cracked it but god knows till it starts.

Best of luck to you. We will see which way works :)

Latest posts