• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ryder Cup Thread

G

getofmeland

Well its that time again, The Ryder Cup is about to begin...

The Venue is set, The Teams have been announced, and the preparation is almost over... So predictions to who is gonna win? Europe or America?

Who do you think will be the key performers for both sides, Who are gonna be the let downs...

So lets have your views on the prestigious event :)

Lets try and bait Nate and DC into a signature contest.

And when Europe hump the yanks we can decorate their sigs with whatever we choose! Hurrah!

Not gonna be a humping, have a feeling there could be some dirty tricks from the Yanks this time round, especially with the likes of Stockton and Wadkins in the team room despite the claims to the contrary from Zinger. Should make good viewing though and that's what Stockton certainly brought with the antics in 91

The Yanks always tries the dirty tricks, so it won't be a suprise this year as well... I do however question the ability of Faldo as captain.

You're not the only one and given the different make up of the team this time round he has more work to do to find the right pairings, the question is though what are the right ones?

To be fair, we did have this when Seve Balesteros was chosen as captain. In fact, I think there were a few on the European team who never want to see Seve driving a golf buggy ever again!!!

Seve had a lot more experience in his team than Faldo didn't have the same problem that Faldo faces in putting his pairings together.

Good to see Faldo has decided to have a few helpers with him at Valhalla, certainly the sensible approach.

So Faldo keeping his cards close to his chest so far sending his players out in threesomes.

Harrington went out with Stensson and McDowell, given Harrington's recent comments an opening foursome with Stensson looks on the cards with a fourball in the afternoon with McDowell.

Westwood, Garcia and Hanson were together, I think that it's crucial that Garcia has a strong partner in the foursomes, it would be a huge blow to the team if he lost his unbeaten record in the foursomes and with it being first up could give the US an extra boost.

Karlsson, Casey and Poulter also together, I think Karlsson and Casey is the way to go with that trio given how well they looked together at the K-Club despite the results.

Last out were Jimenez, Rose and Wilson, I remember seeing on some preview program that Rose said Jimenez was looking to play with him at the Ryder Cup so that could be an interesting foursome with Wilson coming in for the afternoon fourball.

A bit more clear cut from Azinger with his pairings, starting with the obvious one of Holmes and Perry, Weekley and Furyk went out with them. Azinger seems to be going for the geographical approach. Mickleson and Leonard were with Kim and Mahan leaving Ben Curtis with Steve Stricker and Cink with Campbell.

Well after a painfully cringeable opening ceremony with Faldo making an absolute *** of himself we have our opening pairings for tomorrow's foursomes.

Harrington/Karlsson v Mickleson/Kim

Stenson/Casey v Mahan/Leonard

Poulter/Rose v Cink/Campbell

Garcia/Westwood v Furyk/Perry

Your thoughts???

I can't wait for this. Normally I hate golf but the Ryder Cup is always something I look forward to.

Those Pairings are quite good, I think the Europeans will be able to hold their own...

Bit cautious over the Poulter/Rose Partnership, I think they will struggle...

If Harrington has sufficient fear he should be ok in the top match, if not an American win although what Phil Mickleson turns up is also pretty crucial to that outcome. Second match has me worried, Stenson for me isn't suited to foursomes, too wild off the tee and I don't fancy Casey to be able to put in the amount of recovery shots that he'll probably need to. As for the third match that should be an American point, no form for Poulter or Rose so they're there for the taking, the only obvious banker for Europe looks to be the final match although up against a quality pair there's something about the Ryder Cup for Garcia and Westwood.

The balance just doesn't look right with the European pairings but only time will tell.

It looks like being at least 2½-1½ if not 3-1 for the US.

So 3-1 it is for the US and could have been worse but for Perry losing the plot on the 18th. Half was deserved in the top match with both sides playing some quality shots, Harrington certainly looks up for and made some crucial puts, awesome shot on 14 from Mickleson.

Second match turned out as expected, there was a bit of a false impression with the start Europe made given they won with pars, from then on in it was Mahan and Leonard all the way, very impressed with the way Mahan was holing out.

Third match was amazing, Poulter and Rose well in control only to choke yet again, baffling to see Faldo putting them out in the afternoon fourball, even moreso not giving Wilson a game as he's going to have to wait till tomorrow afternoon for a chance, worrying stuff indeed.

As for the final match, the 2 Europeans didn't look up for the job at all with Sergio especially off the boil but credit for sticking in there and getting the half.

Afternoon Fourballs.

Harrington/McDowell v Mickleson/Kim

Poulter/Rose v Stricker/Curtis

Garcia/Jimenez v Leonard/Mahan

Westwood/Hansen v Weekley/Holmes

Poulter doing his stuff - will probably blow up when pressure comes on.

Harrington half-and-half, as usual - will he step up this time?

Jimenez-Garcia poor, like last time?

Can't see any rapport between Faldo and the team.

On the American side, Kim kind of rushes things, but he's very confident - fair dues to him. And Mickelson still has the aura, despite the dreadful shots.

Overall, it doesn't have the intensity. Chubby American players look like they need to stay off the booze, and their supporters are a bit flat. European players not so free spirited as we're used to, so they need to get with the booze. In other words, more Irish players please.

Oh yeah - one thing I noticed is the Americans keep using the knuckle-touch to congratulate each other. Definite team signal there. Can't see anything like that with the Europeans - they must be relying on Faldo's charisma to hold themselves together.

well he did when it came down to it this morning.

Harrington and McDowell were unlucky going round in 63 between them so hardly playing shabby golf and some of the putts that Harrington was making really kept them going longer than most other pairings would have done so against Kim and Mickleson.

Leonard and Mahan were also superb again although that was compounded by the ordinary play of Jimenez and Garcia.

Poulter and Rose may have got the job done but they would have been lynched if they hadn't given how bad Stricker and Curtis were.

As for the final match the quality of Hansen and Westwood to get the half in the end was superb and but for Hansen's missed putt on 15 it could have been so much better.

Can the Americans keep this intensity and quality up for the next 2 days, it does seem like they had to put in a colossal effort to get in the position they are and will Europe take some solace out of Westwood and Hansen rescuing the half. A lot depends on the pairings and the Europeans' ability to keep the effort up on the back 9.

Just when you think it can't get any worse he goes and leaves out Garcia and Westwood in the foursomes.

Match 1: Stewart Cink/Chad Campbell (USA) vs. Ian Poulter/Justin Rose (EUR)
Match 2: Justin Leonard/Hunter Mahan (USA) vs. Miguel Angel Jimenez/Graeme McDowell (EUR)
Match 3: Phil Mickelson/Anthony Kim (USA) vs. Henrik Stenson/Oliver Wilson (EUR)
Match 4: Jim Furyk/Kenny Perry (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington/Robert Karlsson (EUR)

So 7-5 to the USA after Saturday's foursomes.

Faldo's gamble may have paid off but ideally Europe would have been looking for 3-1 in that session. Disappointing from Harrington having played so well yesterday, got it together after the opening 6 and I'm surprised he's been dropped as he's still making key putts so he could have dovetailed someone like McDowell quite nicely but hopefully he'll get himself right for the singles.

Great stuff from Poulter and Rose despite their best efforts to give it away on the back 9. Dreadful from Mickleson and Kim to hand the win to Wilson and Stenson but what a putt to get the win from Wilson. Halved match was deserved considering the golf both sides played in the McDowell/Jimenez and Leonard/Mahan game. Furyk's putting just kept Harrington and Karlsson at bay once they got to only 2 down.

Afternoon Fourballs.

Weekley/Holmes v Westwood/Hansen
Curtis/Stricker v Garcia/Casey
Perry/Furyk v Poulter/McDowell
Mickelson/Mahan v Stenson/Karlsson

Could be a long haul here with Holmes out in the opening match. A patient afternoon is certainly required from the matches behind.

Mmmm - the intensity really picked up today. Another classic Ryder Cup, with the ****** leprachauns countering the USA chants with Ole Ole Ole.

Very impressed with McDowell and especially Poulter, who looks possessed!

Furyk played great, so I expect he'll take his match tomorrow. Mickelson is just not consistent. And Kim will collapse when the pressure comes on.

Harrington better step up. You can tell he and Garcia detest each other. It would help if Casey sank a few puts. And Westwood needs to take charge - not good enough so far. Jimenez is unique.

Faldo's been good in interviews - really caught up in the drama.

Great competition.

Certainly has been and even more difficult to call given the singles draw, hard to see any bankers for either side with the draw.

12:03 PM: Kim (USA) vs. Garcia (EUR)
12:14 PM: Mahan (USA) vs. Casey (EUR)
12:25 PM: Leonard (USA) vs. Karlsson (EUR)
12:36 PM: Mickelson (USA) vs. Rose (EUR)
12:47 PM: Perry (USA) vs. Stenson (EUR)
12:58 PM: Weekley (USA) vs. WIlson (EUR)
1:09 PM: Holmes (USA) vs. Hansen (EUR)
1:20 PM: Furyk (USA) vs. Jimenez (EUR)
1:31 PM: Cink (USA) vs. McDowell (EUR)
1:42 PM: Stricker (USA) vs. Poulter (EUR)
1:53 PM: Curtis (USA) vs. Westwood (EUR)
2:04 PM: Campbell vs. Harrington (EUR)

Latest posts