• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The scrum strategy

J. Dean

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Worcester
As somebody who's fairly new to the game, I'm still not overly familiar with the nuances of rugby, let alone all of the rules, so I'm humbly reading and learning here.

When you're in a scrum, I assume the idea is to "out-muscle" the other team to get possession of the ball?

If the other team is bigger than yours, what's the alternate strategy to winning the scrum?

As somebody who's fairly new to the game, I'm still not overly familiar with the nuances of rugby, let alone all of the rules, so I'm humbly reading and learning here.

When you're in a scrum, I assume the idea is to "out-muscle" the other team to get possession of the ball?

If the other team is bigger than yours, what's the alternate strategy to winning the scrum?

Scrummaging is not simply about bulk. It's a potent mixture of technique, timing and eight working as one.

So if the other teams bigger you hope you've better skill and are smarter.

Scrummaging is not simply about bulk. It's a potent mixture of technique, timing and eight working as one.

So if the other teams bigger you hope you've better skill and are smarter.
So if your opponents have a bulk advantage what's the strategy?

Just an example from my first ever match which I played yesterday: Their Forwards were, in the most part, bigger than us however our team was stronger and more experienced (myself excluded). So we got a huge advantage when the packs first collided, and from then on we just kept pushing until the scrum-half released the ball. It hasn't really helped in your quest for strategies but I'm just reinforcing what big ginger said earlier :D.

Unless your a pro with access to video analysis you can't really go in with a strategy. You use your technique and adapt to the opposition thiw iall pretty much done by the proprs btw. If for example the other prop is a lot taller you'd try and get under him forcing him up into a position he's not able to drive from.

If you are unsure of the scrum join the 95% of referees who don't seem to have a clue either and just guess.

I played hooker and never understood, I just put my head down and shut my eyes!

If you are unsure of the scrum join the 95% of referees who don't seem to have a clue either and just guess.

I played hooker and never understood, I just put my head down and shut my eyes!

... and that is how necks are broken.

If you are going into a game where you know the oppo pack are significantly bigger than you then there are some general tactics you can use both in set pieces and in the loose.

1. Move the bigger pack around the park kick well from 9 and 10 and get the back 3 chasing well.
2. Move the ball away from contact quickly. Dont commit too many players to the break down. To do this make sure 9 gets to the break down before the back row.
3. Get the ball out of the scrum quickly. Make sure the timing from the 9 and 2 is spot on as well as timing from the second row to get the ball to 8 quickly you dont want it bouncing around in the scrum if your going backwards.
4. At scrum time adjust binding distances between the props and the hooker, change body position but most of all stay low. I hated scrummaging against smaller guys cos they could get under you and drive up.
5. If you have a good back row behind you get them to bind high up under the armpit of the secondrow so they can get their heads further forward. When they have done this and the referee is on the other side/ unsighted get the flankers involved with the oppo props. Most props bind with their elbow parralell to the ground in a chicken wing position, if the flanker pushes down on this arm it will twist the props body into an uncomfortable position making it harder for him to push.

never shave, never brush your teeth and never wash the morning of a game. If your oppo prop is thinking god that stinks or god I'm getting stubble rash he isnt thinking about scrummaging. You can also hold onto your oppo for an extra few seconds after the scrum has broken to keep him out of the next play

Happy scrummaging you'll learn to love it.

totally bamboozling him by bringing up the totally legal art of boring in:mad:Lawrence Dellaglio was giving high praise to Dan Cole for doing it for England today without a reference to any illegality of the act.So did someone else say the same about the saints today....:mad:

... and that is how necks are broken.

Ok maybe I am not that ignorant, I make sure there is somewhere for my head to go. This reminds me of someone I used to know who put their head up. . . . .

Latest posts