• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The sigesige00 lets change Rugby Union to Rugby league thread

sigesige00

Bench Player
I think that the biggest shortcoming of Rugby is scrum.
If scrum was replaced by FK, the game should be more speedy, spectacular, and safe.
And, the 5m scrum in the case of carry-back, 1 suicide point should be given to the opponent team.

If scrum was replaced by FK, the game should be more speedy, spectacular, and safe.
And, the 5m scrum in the case of carry-back, 1 suicide point should be given to the opponent team.

Just a friendly heads up; if you try to speak this heresy in a rugby bar, expect to be gently persuaded otherwise by members of the front rowers club

So you want to turn one of the most unique aspects of Rugby into a weird hybrid of League and American Football...
Jog on fella.

Only if you change the restart after a carry-back to 22m drop-out instead of a 5m scrum, since you seem to be trying to make the game more like American football.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/default.stm

I
n seriousness though, the scrum needs devolving 10 years. It's current format is very broken, but it's still the core basis of the sport.

Last edited:
The scrums have been alot better for the first weekend of this world cup I think.

People have this strange and ill thought idea that the game will be faster if you get rid of the scrum. Much like happened with the ELV's when the Maul was absent, you just get fatties clogging up the middle of the park and no space for the backs.

Just enforce the rules properly. Make sure that everyone is going in square. Make sure the binding is correct (including that of the flankers - Ireland get away with murder there) and enforce the rules against driving before the ball is put in. How many times do you see a penalty against a team going back in a scrum when the ball hasn't been put in yet...when...wait for it....the team who've been awarded the penalty shouldn't have been pushing anyway.

International ref's (and that includes the assistants/lines-men) need to be given a 'reinforcement course' in these things before they touch their first professional match and then again before their first international match. Otherwise you get suggestions like these.

Scrums and Mauls, when done properly are beautiful to watch. I took so much pride watching Romania destroy the Scottish scrum for that try. I believe Scrums and Mauls represent the true spirit of rugby teamwork, strength, coordination, power, drive and hardwork. It is where the game is won, that is down in the trenches with all the blood and guts.

Scrums define rugby union. To get rid of them would be the dumbest thing ever.

Is this thread a joke?

should be replaced by the macarena, serious but pleb idea try again buddy boiiiii

please come to South Africa so that we can introduce you to our Sport Minister's farewell quote to the Bokke before they left for New Zealand!! want ons gaan jou hard MOER!!

the problem with the scrummaging is we don't have any referees who played as prop!

Give Os Du Randt or Kees Meeuws or any prop for that matter, and i guarantee you there won't be anymore frustrations!!

the problem with the scrummaging is we don't have any referees who played as prop!

Give Os Du Randt or Kees Meeuws or any prop for that matter, and i guarantee you there won't be anymore frustrations!!

This is exactly the problem. All those former wings see is that the scrum has gone down or doesn't seem quite right and they flip through their mental law book for something that might make sense to call.

You and your threads suck.

Great idea, then we can get rid of those bloody forwards at the same time and when we are at it anyways lets just make a ruck + maul illegal, lineouts are unnecessary so lets scrap them 2(the bal will find its own way back into the field). If there aren't any rucks why would we need a scrumhalf to pass the ball to the flyhalf and why would we need a Flyhalf to catch it and distribute it? Hell why do we even need a ball?

THAT btw was sarcasm, the same thing I hope your thread is made out of?

Last edited:

Latest posts