• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The South Africans are coming

mdaclarke

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales

Looks like the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers may be joining the European Competitions from 2022.

Good thing as will add strength and also a new large TV market.

Think of it like Australia in Eurovision.
Our Rugby is still very European as it has not deviated much from its roots.

Also how would the teams even fit into the comp?
Two in Champ two in Challenge?
They'll have to restructure the comps and there's no room in the calendar for two more rounds

No No No GIF

No, just don't want to see even more disruption to the NH season, for no reason(/because the south african franchises decided they're bigger than Super Rugby)

I imagine the PRL and the FRU will veto this, anyway - there just isn't the room in the calendar, and they're not going to bend over backwards to placate the Pro14(16? 18? 20?) at the cost of the Premiership/Top 14

Scared lol when most teams in Europe have a heavy South African contingent its hardly a scary prospect playing the super rugby SA teams.

What is scary is as people have said more games and more disruption to a heavy season already. Although personally I'd love to see them in because I like watching them. Would make a great spectacle.

You're not terrified of playing players not good enough to get a contract up North?
Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Get back to me when it's the Kiwi franchises traveling this way

;)
Lol Sale are basically a South African B team, they'd top the SA super rugby conference every year if they played down there.....and re-signed Seymour at 7.

Looks like the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers may be joining the European Competitions from 2022.

Good thing as will add strength and also a new large TV market.
Bad thing, as they're not European.

Who's giving way to make room?
What other restructuring is required?
Who's paying for the extra travel (bear in mind that the Italians had to pay a couple of million a year to be allowed in - and then everyone wondered why they didn't have much money to spend on squads and facilities)

Who's giving way to make room?
The continental shield teams will definitely get binned off, which is a massive shame

Edit:

Formatting wise I'd go for:

Champions Cup:
Pro12 loses two qualification spots to accommodate two new South African franchises
Keep it as 5 pools of four

Challenge Cup:
Four additional teams (2 from Champions cup dropping down + 2 new south african franchises)
Reshuffle so that it's 6 groups of four, rather than the current 5, and keep the two Continental Shield teams in
Rather than 5 leaders + 3 next highest placed progress, it's 6 leaders + two highest placed

The GMT/CET cup
No, just don't want to see even more disruption to the NH season, for no reason(/because the south african franchises decided they're bigger than Super Rugby)

TBF to the Saffa's it sounded like too me it was more NZ thinking they are so much bigger than the others.

Latest posts